White tongue

Options
Jean T. Szabo
Jean T. Szabo Member Posts: 193
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
My tongue is white..not swollen... what is this from?

Comments

• CypressCynthia
    CypressCynthia Member Posts: 4,014 Member
    Options
    Hope this helps
    I am assuming that you have tried brushing your tongue with a toothbrush and it is staying white coated? It is not unusual for someone on chemo (especially steroids) to get a yeast infection (thrush), which is easily treated with an anitifungal medication such as nystatin.

For thrush info see http://www.webmd.com/oral-health/tc/thrush-topic-overview

Below is a list of other causes of white tongue from the Mayo Clinic.

"White tongue is the result of inflammation of the finger-like projections (papillae) on the surface of your tongue. The appearance of a white coating is caused by debris, bacteria and dead cells getting lodged between the inflamed papillae. Causes of inflammation include:

Dehydration
    Excessive alcohol use
    Excessive mouth breathing
    Fever
    Smoking"

Also:
    "Certain medications
    Geographic tongue (a condition that gives your tongue a map-like appearance)
    Leukoplakia (may be precancerous)
    Oral lichen planus (a chronic, autoimmune disorder)
    Oral thrush (a yeast infection, also known as candidiasis)
    Syphilis (a bacterial infection usually spread by sexual contact)"

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/white-tongue/MY01011/DSECTION=causes
  • chriskaput
    chriskaput Member Posts: 109
    Options
    white tongue
    Please tell your onco. asap. Your doc must prescribe an antifungal med. to clear the thrush before it travels down to your throat. That happened to me and I couldn't swallow without having so much pain for days. I got thrush at least 3 times while on AC.

take care.
    hugs, chris.
  • Bella Luna
    Bella Luna Member Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    I had that reaction too.
    I had that reaction too. It's from chemo. I rinsed my mouth with baking soda while undergoing treatment. Ask your doctor about what over the counter products, mouth wash/toothpaste, they recommend for chemo patients. Best of luck!
    BL
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member
    Options

I had that reaction too.
    I had that reaction too. It's from chemo. I rinsed my mouth with baking soda while undergoing treatment. Ask your doctor about what over the counter products, mouth wash/toothpaste, they recommend for chemo patients. Best of luck!
    BL

I had thrush after every AC
    I had thrush after every AC easily cured with nystatin swish and swallow. It can go down your throat as previously stated so ask your doc about it.
  • weazer
    weazer Member Posts: 440
    Options
    carkris said:

I had thrush after every AC
    I had thrush after every AC easily cured with nystatin swish and swallow. It can go down your throat as previously stated so ask your doc about it.

I had it also
    Asy your doc about it, mine prescribed me mycelex which I would just desolve on my tongue and it took care of the problem.