Frozen shoulder...ouchy!

Options
jo jo
jo jo Member Posts: 1,175
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
It hurts, it hurts, ouchy, ouchy!!! Im such a baby...lol!
My shoulder pain only got worse over the weeks. so they ran some tests on it and yes testing for the dreaded word of bone cancer...but good news is that it appears to be just a frozen shoulder but they wont rule out bone cancer till test results are in...which should be in by monday. Even thou were pretty positive its a frozen shoulder it just freaks me out waiting for more cancer results!

Anyway if it is frozen shoulder they want to knock me out and do what they call "manipulation" where they basically break your arm free and hopefully they dont break your arm in the process which im at more of a risk of that since chemo gave me osteoporosis...yeah!
Has anyone dealt with this and how did you feel after the knock out manipulation? Also will this bring on lyphmedema since its in my bad arm?

Comments

• smalldoggroomer
    smalldoggroomer Member Posts: 1,184
    Options
    Gal-lee Jo Jo,

Gal-lee Jo Jo,
    You need a break ( no pun intended ) I never had a frozen shoulder it sounds very painful. I pray that is all it is though. This is just another bump in the road . You are a strong lady you will get through it. And we are all here for you. Your in my prayers always, Take care Kay,
  • Jean 0609
    Jean 0609 Member Posts: 2,462
    Options
    Hi jo jo,
    We have missed hearing from you. Sorry to hear about your shoulder. Hopefully, this is something that they can fix for you. Hugs, Jean
  • CypressCynthia
    CypressCynthia Member Posts: 4,014 Member
    Options
    Yes, I had frozen shoulder.
    Yes, I had frozen shoulder. I was determined to work it out with PT and I did. The physical therapist did tell me that usually what they do doesn't hurt, but, with a frozen shoulder, she said there will be some pain as they get it "unfrozen."

My suggestion, take pain meds about 1/2 hr before going to PT. The good news is that PT was only painful the first few times. Then the pain got much better. Also, I did those pendulum swinging exercises at home all day long because they really seemed to lubricate the shoulder and help with pain.

It has been years since I had the frozen shoulder. From time to time, the shoulder feels a little stiff and I do my exercises and I'm fine. No recurrence of it at all--yay!

Frozen shoulder (adhesive capsulitis) is also associated with thyroid disease (which I have). If you haven't had a thyroid profile in a while, ask your primary or onc to order one the next time that you have blood work.

Good luck and I hope that you are feeling better soon!
  • roseann4
    roseann4 Member Posts: 992 Member
    Options

Yes, I had frozen shoulder.
    Yes, I had frozen shoulder. I was determined to work it out with PT and I did. The physical therapist did tell me that usually what they do doesn't hurt, but, with a frozen shoulder, she said there will be some pain as they get it "unfrozen."

My suggestion, take pain meds about 1/2 hr before going to PT. The good news is that PT was only painful the first few times. Then the pain got much better. Also, I did those pendulum swinging exercises at home all day long because they really seemed to lubricate the shoulder and help with pain.

It has been years since I had the frozen shoulder. From time to time, the shoulder feels a little stiff and I do my exercises and I'm fine. No recurrence of it at all--yay!

Frozen shoulder (adhesive capsulitis) is also associated with thyroid disease (which I have). If you haven't had a thyroid profile in a while, ask your primary or onc to order one the next time that you have blood work.

Good luck and I hope that you are feeling better soon!

Oh Jo Jo... I feel your pain!
    I have had frozen shoulder twice and it was very painful. It does get better with pt. You are definately not a baby. When I got it in the other shoulder the doc recommended a cortisone shot to shorten the pt time. I did it and it was painless. Don't think I would do the shot today because I'm so suspicious of side effects for any treatment that promises a quick recovery but it worked. I am in pt now because my shoulder fracture (7 weeks ago)left me with some frozen areas but it is definately not as bad as full frozen shoulder. Hugs.

Roseann
  • creampuff91344
    creampuff91344 Member Posts: 988
    Options
    roseann4 said:

Oh Jo Jo... I feel your pain!
    I have had frozen shoulder twice and it was very painful. It does get better with pt. You are definately not a baby. When I got it in the other shoulder the doc recommended a cortisone shot to shorten the pt time. I did it and it was painless. Don't think I would do the shot today because I'm so suspicious of side effects for any treatment that promises a quick recovery but it worked. I am in pt now because my shoulder fracture (7 weeks ago)left me with some frozen areas but it is definately not as bad as full frozen shoulder. Hugs.

Roseann

Frozen Shoulder
    Jo Jo,sounds like you are having a time of it. The froze shoulder syndrom is one of the more common things to happen when we start through the chemo/rads process, mainly because you tend to slow down on your physical activity, and bones are used to being used daily. A friend of mine had this frozen shoulder syndrom, and worked it out with physical theraphy. Not the most pleasant thing in the world, but she would medicate about 1/2 an hour before her session, and within a month it was moving well. The method of putting you to sleep also works, and it is faster. You will be quite sore after you wake up, and they do prescribe pain meds because of the trauma to your joint when they manually break it loose. So, choose your poison. Good luck on a successful end to your pain. I will hurt for you, as well as all of yoru other sisters here. Hugs, Judy
  • sea60
    sea60 Member Posts: 2,613
    Options
    Isn't it funny that when we go through
    pain in all this, we regress back to the child in us that just wants our Mommy? I'm sorry you're in pain but I'm so happy it is NOT cancer. That's what I'm praying for you!

Hopefully, this pain will not last long and you can get back to feeling better soon.

Glad you checked in with us Jo Jo.

Blessings & hugs,

Sylvia
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    Options
    sea60 said:

Isn't it funny that when we go through
    pain in all this, we regress back to the child in us that just wants our Mommy? I'm sorry you're in pain but I'm so happy it is NOT cancer. That's what I'm praying for you!

Hopefully, this pain will not last long and you can get back to feeling better soon.

Glad you checked in with us Jo Jo.

Blessings & hugs,

Sylvia

Frozen Shoulders .. Unite! How very painful .. and I am
    so sorry that you are suffering from this side effort. C.C. has some wonderful tips to help you get thru the PT without crying .. and yes, Vicki Sam did cry during a few of her PT sessions .. because I refused to take any mediciation which included a tylenol .. go figure .. so after the 3rd session .. yep, I started to pop advil - 20 to 30 minutes before my arrival to the PT's office. Movement is the ONLY thing that will un-freeze your shoulder, sorry to say.

You're in a great deal of pain .. I am sorry, Misty Jo! Fight . Fight . Fight .. that stupid frozen shoulder - YOU can DO IT!

Strength and Courage

♥.•´¸.•~♥♥♥~•.¸ Vicki Sam ♩♫♬♪♥.•´¸.•~♥♥♥~•.¸
  • linpsu
    linpsu Member Posts: 747
    Options
    frozen shoulder
    Yes, I had frozen shoulder as a result of my first mastectomy followed a year later by neck surgery. I had several months of physical therapy, and it got much better. They said the option would have been the operation where they put you to sleep and "break" the shoulder capsule free. But I'm glad I had the P.T. I continue to do the exercises, especially since I had a reoccurrence and second mastectomy (on same breast - removal of implant and much more tissue)in July.
    Linda
  • ms.sunshine
    ms.sunshine Member Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    linpsu said:

frozen shoulder
    Yes, I had frozen shoulder as a result of my first mastectomy followed a year later by neck surgery. I had several months of physical therapy, and it got much better. They said the option would have been the operation where they put you to sleep and "break" the shoulder capsule free. But I'm glad I had the P.T. I continue to do the exercises, especially since I had a reoccurrence and second mastectomy (on same breast - removal of implant and much more tissue)in July.
    Linda

So glad to hear from you Jojo
    I have been thinking about you lately, wondering how you have been doing. Hate to hear about the frozen shoulder. The doctors will get you straightened out. I'm believeing for no bone cancer none nil zero. Take care let us know what doc says about shoulder.
    Jennifer