Estrogen vs Ovaries

Options
shelbyhome
shelbyhome Member Posts: 145
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Does anyone know if I was to have my ovaries taken out if it would stop me from making estrogen?

Comments

• TraciInLA
    TraciInLA Member Posts: 1,994 Member
    Options
    Most, but not all
    MOST of the estrogen a woman's premenopausal body makes comes from her ovaries, but not all.

Even after menopause, a woman continues to produce estrogen in a few parts of her body, most notably her fat cells, which is why overweight women are considered by some experts to be at a somewhat higher risk for breast cancer.

This is why even postmenopausal breast cancer survivors (whose ovaries no longer produce estrogen) are usually prescribed an aromatase inhibitor (such as Arimidex or Femara), which is a type of estrogen blocker that addresses estrogen produced by the rest of the body.

Hope that helps,

Traci
  • sal314
    sal314 Member Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    TraciInLA said:

Most, but not all
    MOST of the estrogen a woman's premenopausal body makes comes from her ovaries, but not all.

Even after menopause, a woman continues to produce estrogen in a few parts of her body, most notably her fat cells, which is why overweight women are considered by some experts to be at a somewhat higher risk for breast cancer.

This is why even postmenopausal breast cancer survivors (whose ovaries no longer produce estrogen) are usually prescribed an aromatase inhibitor (such as Arimidex or Femara), which is a type of estrogen blocker that addresses estrogen produced by the rest of the body.

Hope that helps,

Traci

Yeah...What Traci Said!
    LOL! Can't really add anything of value. Traci covered it all! :)

Sally
  • Pinkpower
    Pinkpower Member Posts: 437
    Options
    On monday the 25th Im having
    On monday the 25th Im having my ovaries removed, not so much because of the estrogen, but to lower my odds of getting ovarian cancer.
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    Options
    Pinkpower said:

On monday the 25th Im having
    On monday the 25th Im having my ovaries removed, not so much because of the estrogen, but to lower my odds of getting ovarian cancer.

Traci .. First of all .. Thank you for providing
    us with clear information. On top of everything else we 'Warriors' have to deal with .. now 'ovarian cancer' scare.

Pink Power .. good for you, and you becoming pro active - ! Good luck, and my prayers are with you and your surgeron on Monday!

Strength and Courage ..

♥.•´¸.•~♥♥♥~•.¸ Vicki Sam ♩♫♬♪♥.•´¸.•~♥♥♥~•.¸