Options
2»

Comments

• racergirl
    racergirl Member Posts: 50
    Options
    FIrst four then last four
    Hi,
    I had my husband with me on the first treatment because you never know, everything went fine so I drove myself to the next three. The last four I get benadryl by IV so the Onc wants someone to drive me. I could probably do it just fine , but I do as the Doc says.
  • chriskaput
    chriskaput Member Posts: 109
    Options
    driving to chemo treatments
    I always had my husband drive me back and forth. I was glad I did because I was so groggy afterwards from the benadryl they gave me that I would not have been able to myself. I think you should bring someone to the first infusion, just to see how you react to the drug.

Good luck : )
  • Heatherbelle
    Heatherbelle Member Posts: 1,226 Member
    Options
    NJMom10 said:

Thanks
    Thanks. I've been worrying about this all week. And I really don't need any more stress right now. Not that you all don't know! The doc and nurse said I should be fine to drive and I figured I would see how I felt. I don't want my husband to take off cause I need him working to keep up our health insurance. I have no family close and was on the verge of asking friends but, of course, I hate to bother people. Anyway, great advice and thanks.

help from friends..
    I bet your friends would be more than happy to help you out with rides - I've found that people want to help so much that any little thing they can do to help you through this they will be willing to do for you. Also, if you find that you do need rides & your husbnd can't get the time off work - check with your local cancer center or ACS office - there are alot of programs out there that can help you with rides to treatment!
    *hugs*
    Heather
  • NJMom10
    NJMom10 Member Posts: 176
    Options
    racergirl said:

FIrst four then last four
    Hi,
    I had my husband with me on the first treatment because you never know, everything went fine so I drove myself to the next three. The last four I get benadryl by IV so the Onc wants someone to drive me. I could probably do it just fine , but I do as the Doc says.

Husband first one then friends on call
    I decided to have my husband take me to the first one to see how I feel. The nurse told me I will have benedryl and I'm not sure how that will effect me. I'm also going to ask friends to be "on call" for the rest of the treatments just in case I find I can't do it. Thanks so much for all this advice. I'm sorry that we all have to be here. But it sure is comforting to talk to people who have been/are going through this.
  • lafera12
    lafera12 Member Posts: 63
    Options
    Driving to and from chemo treatments
    Hi NJ Mom,
    Even though I went through this in 2008, you seem to remember the treatments.
    I had a good friend with me the first day, she sat with me while the nurse was talking to
    me about the treatments and what to expect. I always had someone drive me to the treatments, especially when I was on Taxol/Herceptin. I was getting benedryl as one of
    the pre-drugs and I slept for the hour on Taxol and woke up in time for the Herceptin.
    And woke up groggy and never would have been able to drive home, I also slept again when
    I got home.
    On another note, where are you from in Jersey? I live in Southern Ocean County about a
    half hour from Long Beach Island and Atlantic City...
    Good luck on your treatments.

Angie
  • Kylez
    Kylez Member Posts: 3,761 Member
    Options
    MyTurnNow said:

Welcome, NJMom to this
    Welcome, NJMom to this amazing site with its amazing members. Sorry you have to be here but know you are in good hands. Sounds like an Allstate commercial, huh?

You may want to have someone with you for the first infusion. You never know how you will react and we are all different. My onc didn't want her patients driving themselves anytime. I usually had either my sister or daughter with me.

Good luck on your treatments and please come here often with any questions you may have. Someone here I'm certain will be available to share their experience with you. Good luck and take care!

I didn't have chemo, but, I
    I didn't have chemo, but, I would think that someone should drive you. You could have side effects and that wouldn't be good if you were driving. Good luck!
  • Kylez
    Kylez Member Posts: 3,761 Member
    Options
    MyTurnNow said:

Welcome, NJMom to this
    Welcome, NJMom to this amazing site with its amazing members. Sorry you have to be here but know you are in good hands. Sounds like an Allstate commercial, huh?

You may want to have someone with you for the first infusion. You never know how you will react and we are all different. My onc didn't want her patients driving themselves anytime. I usually had either my sister or daughter with me.

Good luck on your treatments and please come here often with any questions you may have. Someone here I'm certain will be available to share their experience with you. Good luck and take care!

I didn't have chemo, but, I
    I didn't have chemo, but, I would think that someone should drive you. You could have side effects and that wouldn't be good if you were driving. Good luck!