How do you pronounce "BRCA"?

Options
TraciInLA
TraciInLA Member Posts: 1,994 Member
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I'm just curious: How do you all pronounce "BRCA"? Is there more than one way? Do I need to learn how the "cool people" say it? :-)

I've always said "BRACK-a," but my gynecologist says "BRON-ka." And I've heard some people spell it out, "B-R-C-A."

"Po-tay-to, po-tah-to, to-may-to, to-mah-to -- let's call the whole thing off!"

:-) Traci

Comments

• MyTurnNow
    MyTurnNow Member Posts: 2,686 Member
    Options
    Hi Traci!!
    I guess you are all moved in and unpacked now? Glad to see you back posting. Consider this your notification that you were missed!!

I don't know if I heard the pronunciation at the doctor's office or where but I have always said Brack-a.
  • aisling8
    aisling8 Member Posts: 1,627 Member
    Options
    MyTurnNow said:

Hi Traci!!
    I guess you are all moved in and unpacked now? Glad to see you back posting. Consider this your notification that you were missed!!

I don't know if I heard the pronunciation at the doctor's office or where but I have always said Brack-a.

Hmm...
    Now look here, Missy, if you have time for tomato versus tomayto then you clearly have time to finish unpacking those last three boxes. Now get yourself out to the garage and get busy!!

Welcome back:)

xoxo
    Victoria
  • TraciInLA
    Options
    aisling8 said:

Hmm...
    Now look here, Missy, if you have time for tomato versus tomayto then you clearly have time to finish unpacking those last three boxes. Now get yourself out to the garage and get busy!!

Welcome back:)

xoxo
    Victoria

To clarify for Miss Victoria...
    You have unfairly accused me, Miss Victoria. I'm at work right now...so my Eliza Doolittle question is NOT for the purpose of avoiding UNPACKING, but rather for the purpose of avoiding WORK!

(don't tell Human Resources -- oh wait, I AM Human Resources!)

;-) Traci
  • KathiM
    KathiM Member Posts: 8,028 Member
    Options
    TraciInLA said:

To clarify for Miss Victoria...
    You have unfairly accused me, Miss Victoria. I'm at work right now...so my Eliza Doolittle question is NOT for the purpose of avoiding UNPACKING, but rather for the purpose of avoiding WORK!

(don't tell Human Resources -- oh wait, I AM Human Resources!)

;-) Traci

Too funny!
    Thanks for the giggle! Welcome back!

I needed a smile today...my mom's not doing well, and I'm stressing!

Hugs, Kathi

(Actually, I've never had the test...figure if I do, THEN I'll learn how to pronounce it...ROFL! But don't go by me...I am DEFINATELY NOT one of the 'cool ones'!!!!)
  • Marcia527
    Marcia527 Member Posts: 2,729
    Options
    I'm no help as I don't
    I'm no help as I don't pronounce anything right. I'd continue with 'bracka' as they understood it anyway.
  • Scotch Freckles
    Scotch Freckles Member Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Is the brca for brca cardia
    Is the brca for brca cardia or bracka obamaaaaaaaaaaaaaa??????

If it is for brca cardia then I believe it is breaka. Been aware for cardiology to long.
  • cindycflynn
    cindycflynn Member Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    B-R-C-A
    Is what I say, but I'm not one of the cool people, so I'd steer clear of that one!

Now, get back to work! ;-)

Glad to see you posting again!

Cindy
  • cahjah75
    cahjah75 Member Posts: 2,631
    Options
    Traci
    Hope the move went well...... I say Braca :-) I had the test and was negative.
    {{hugs}} Char
  • fauxma
    fauxma Member Posts: 3,577 Member
    Options
    cahjah75 said:

Traci
    Hope the move went well...... I say Braca :-) I had the test and was negative.
    {{hugs}} Char

I don't like to mispronounce
    I don't like to mispronounce words so I just hold up a card with BRCA written on it. Just kidding. I never really thought about it because I always refer to it as the gene test for breast cancer but now that you brought it up, I vote for BRECAW just to be different. Now back to work and when you get home I exect those last boxes to be unpacked and put away. LOL
    Traci, you always amuse me.
    Stef
  • MAJW
    MAJW Member Posts: 2,510 Member
    Options
    HI TRACI!
    Didn't know you had moved.....hope you settle in well.....good to see you back.....My opinion about how to pronounce it.......who cares? haha we in the know know what it means....

Good to "see" you
  • seof
    seof Member Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    just be sure
    Just be sure you don't confuse it with islamic ladie's clothing if you pronounce it phonetically.
  • Marsha Mulvey
    Marsha Mulvey Member Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    seof said:

just be sure
    Just be sure you don't confuse it with islamic ladie's clothing if you pronounce it phonetically.

never could
    I never could keep things straight, I see CRAB!
    Marsha
  • KathiM
    KathiM Member Posts: 8,028 Member
    Options
    I pronounce it:
    T-H-A-T S-U-C-K-S!!!!!

BIG hugs, Kathi
  • TraciInLA
    Options
    KathiM said:

I pronounce it:
    T-H-A-T S-U-C-K-S!!!!!

BIG hugs, Kathi

No help at all, I tell you!
    Okay, so most of you crazy ladies have been NO HELP AT ALL with my question...:-)

(though Stef, I have to admit I giggled out loud at your "closed captioning" solution)

But it's nice to be missed, and even nicer to be back with all of you.

Traci
  • AnnabelleandGenevievesmommy
    Options
    TraciInLA said:

No help at all, I tell you!
    Okay, so most of you crazy ladies have been NO HELP AT ALL with my question...:-)

(though Stef, I have to admit I giggled out loud at your "closed captioning" solution)

But it's nice to be missed, and even nicer to be back with all of you.

Traci

You ladies are hilarious. I needed a smile <3</b>
    The docs I have talked to (because EVERY dr asks if I've had it done) either says each letter B-R-C-A or calls it Brock(rhymes with rock)-uh test.
  • CypressCynthia
    CypressCynthia Member Posts: 4,014 Member
    Options
    I say bracka. Being in the
    I say bracka. Being in the South, I kind of drawl out the last syllable ;-)