anyone lose weight on tamoxifen?

Options
mjjones453
mjjones453 Member Posts: 155
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I have probably lost 10 lbs. I have not changed anything of my eating habits. My Doc. said to expect weight gain. I am waiting.

Comments

• carriesoup
    carriesoup Member Posts: 144
    Options
    hi!
    i haven't started tamoxifen yet. i have a question for you though. is it making you nauseous? my onc told me there usually isn't a lot of side effects. how do you feel?

*hugs*

carrie :)
  • Heatherbelle
    Heatherbelle Member Posts: 1,226 Member
    Options

hi!
    i haven't started tamoxifen yet. i have a question for you though. is it making you nauseous? my onc told me there usually isn't a lot of side effects. how do you feel?

*hugs*

I just found out I'll be on
    I just found out I'll be on tamoxifen for 5 years also - i hadn't read much about it because i didn't think i'd be on it since i was a very weak 1-4% receptor for it. I've read about lots of hot flashes, but my Onc also told me not many side effects. One thing I did read up on was the anti depressant zoloft can mildly inhibit it's effects? Does anyone know anything about this? After trying several anti depressants over the years since being dx manic depressive in my 20's, zoloft is the one that keeps me "normal" and doesn't make me feel like a maniac or a zombie & i really dont have any side effects from it - i'd hate to start playing the "find a new drug" game!
    *hugs*
    heather
  • Giant Poodles
    Giant Poodles Member Posts: 79
    Options

I just found out I'll be on
    I just found out I'll be on tamoxifen for 5 years also - i hadn't read much about it because i didn't think i'd be on it since i was a very weak 1-4% receptor for it. I've read about lots of hot flashes, but my Onc also told me not many side effects. One thing I did read up on was the anti depressant zoloft can mildly inhibit it's effects? Does anyone know anything about this? After trying several anti depressants over the years since being dx manic depressive in my 20's, zoloft is the one that keeps me "normal" and doesn't make me feel like a maniac or a zombie & i really dont have any side effects from it - i'd hate to start playing the "find a new drug" game!
    *hugs*
    heather

Alot of anti-depressants
    Alot of anti-depressants keep the tamoxifen from working and so does Benadryl (sp). You can google it and it will explain it. I was taking Wellbutrin and had to stop.
    Rhonda
  • sal314
    sal314 Member Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Man! Wish I was that Lucky!!
    I gained some weight (about 10 lbs.) and am just starting to lose it. It's REALLY hard to lose weight when your on it! I tried so hard and NOTHING! I wasn't eating more than usual, but it just stuck on me for whatever reason!!

I finished Tamoxifen at the end of Aug. and withing a couple of weeks started feeling like myself again. And have lost about 3 lbs. without doing anything differently.

You're a lucky girl if you lose weight on Tamoxifen! Celebrate it!!! LOL.

Blessings,

Sally
  • Pinkpower
    Pinkpower Member Posts: 437
    Options
    sal314 said:

Man! Wish I was that Lucky!!
    I gained some weight (about 10 lbs.) and am just starting to lose it. It's REALLY hard to lose weight when your on it! I tried so hard and NOTHING! I wasn't eating more than usual, but it just stuck on me for whatever reason!!

I finished Tamoxifen at the end of Aug. and withing a couple of weeks started feeling like myself again. And have lost about 3 lbs. without doing anything differently.

You're a lucky girl if you lose weight on Tamoxifen! Celebrate it!!! LOL.

Blessings,

Sally

Ditto on they weight I
    Ditto on they weight I gained tru chemo now is hanging on for dear life on my body. I do think its because of the tamoxifen.
  • cindycflynn
    cindycflynn Member Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    No such luck
    Before BC I had worked hard to lose 30 pounds and kept it off for over a year.

Since chemo and now Tamoxifen (combined with my lack of activity), I "found" 20 of those pounds again - ugh.

Back to WW soon...
  • pinkflutterby
    pinkflutterby Member Posts: 615 Member
    Options

No such luck
    Before BC I had worked hard to lose 30 pounds and kept it off for over a year.

Since chemo and now Tamoxifen (combined with my lack of activity), I "found" 20 of those pounds again - ugh.

Back to WW soon...

I've lost and gained through
    I've lost and gained through my nearly 2 yr journey. I'm on the gaining end presently. March 18, 2011 will be my 2 years. :)))) Looking for 40 more (at least)
  • Heatherbelle
    Heatherbelle Member Posts: 1,226 Member
    Options

Alot of anti-depressants
    Alot of anti-depressants keep the tamoxifen from working and so does Benadryl (sp). You can google it and it will explain it. I was taking Wellbutrin and had to stop.
    Rhonda

thanks Rhonda, I'll have to
    thanks Rhonda, I'll have to ask my Dr about it - i guess being a crazy lady is better than being a crazy lady with breast cancer! (not to make light of anyone else having to be on anti depressants but it's a long running joke with me because of so many years of mis-diagnosis and trying so many different meds - i find the laughter helps keep me sane!)
    *hugs*
    heather
  • disneyfan2008
    disneyfan2008 Member Posts: 6,583 Member
    Options
    just opposite-gained
    I gained much weight (always been thin) but I have ulcertive colitis and had to take steriods at the same time as radiation-so It could be just steriods made me gain or tamoxefin and steriods. Post 2+ yrs of treatment I did lose 10 lbs-Also all at the same time I went through menopause-SO HONESTLY I dont' know which or if all made me gain!
  • disneyfan2008
    disneyfan2008 Member Posts: 6,583 Member
    Options

hi!

*hugs*

2+ yrs and no real side effects for me
    I started taking it Sept 2008-I have gained about 25lbs..but also taking steriods at the same time as radiation and now tamoxefin-so could be combo or just steriods. I lost about 10 lbs recently-doing nothing different. (dr said it would take time to come off-I was thinking months maybe..not years-but oh well finally lost some!)

I have no side effects that I am aware of-sweat at night more then day time. Stomach has has no issues(FEEL GREAT)! GOOD LUCK....
  • Curlz
    Curlz Member Posts: 42
    Options
    So far...
    I hate to even type it, but I will: my weight has been pretty stable, although I've only been on Tamoxifen for 4 months. In the year before my diagnosis, I joined a gym and was down about 20lbs from regular exercise, but trust me, I'm still a plus-size woman! Since my diagnosis I've probably lost another 15lbs, and that was through radiation, which was really my only down time emotionally. It was the first (ONLY) time in my life when I had NO appetite and no interest in food or cooking (this from a self-professed foodie)...it was very strange for me, and my onc didn't really help by telling me "Hmm...that's weird; weight GAIN is usually the issue." Since my appetite returned about 6-8 weeks ago I've been VERY careful to try and stay with my good eating habits--and I'm back on the treadmill at the gym. It's all about moderation!

Imo, gaining/losing weight is better than the other option...but it really stinks that it's a side effect of such an effective drug!
  • TP123
    TP123 Member Posts: 53
    Options

thanks Rhonda, I'll have to
    thanks Rhonda, I'll have to ask my Dr about it - i guess being a crazy lady is better than being a crazy lady with breast cancer! (not to make light of anyone else having to be on anti depressants but it's a long running joke with me because of so many years of mis-diagnosis and trying so many different meds - i find the laughter helps keep me sane!)
    *hugs*
    heather

Substitute for antidepressant
    Has your dr. ever put you on depakote for bipolar? What about lithium? Don't know if they would change the tamoxifen but maybe it would work as well if not better for control of mood swings. Just a thot....
  • TP123
    TP123 Member Posts: 53
    Options
    Curlz said:

So far...
    I hate to even type it, but I will: my weight has been pretty stable, although I've only been on Tamoxifen for 4 months. In the year before my diagnosis, I joined a gym and was down about 20lbs from regular exercise, but trust me, I'm still a plus-size woman! Since my diagnosis I've probably lost another 15lbs, and that was through radiation, which was really my only down time emotionally. It was the first (ONLY) time in my life when I had NO appetite and no interest in food or cooking (this from a self-professed foodie)...it was very strange for me, and my onc didn't really help by telling me "Hmm...that's weird; weight GAIN is usually the issue." Since my appetite returned about 6-8 weeks ago I've been VERY careful to try and stay with my good eating habits--and I'm back on the treadmill at the gym. It's all about moderation!

Imo, gaining/losing weight is better than the other option...but it really stinks that it's a side effect of such an effective drug!

weight
    Curlz, Pray for me that I lose and don't gain! Tamoxifen is down the road for me but I pray it will cause me to lose, not gain. I'm very plus sized and want to lose, but no energy right now to exercise. Chemo sure hasn't caused any wt. loss, but at least I've been pretty stable. Best of luck to you. I admire your ambition.
  • Suzie-Q-Z
    Suzie-Q-Z Member Posts: 40
    Options
    TP123 said:

weight
    Curlz, Pray for me that I lose and don't gain! Tamoxifen is down the road for me but I pray it will cause me to lose, not gain. I'm very plus sized and want to lose, but no energy right now to exercise. Chemo sure hasn't caused any wt. loss, but at least I've been pretty stable. Best of luck to you. I admire your ambition.

hoping for weight loss too
    darn, I'm new to all of this but trying to stay positive. I told myself that at least I could look forward to a little weight loss with all the side effects I keep hearing about. Now I may have to join a gym? exercise? Egad! I guess It'll make my mood improve. Can't hurt right?