Question about a friend

Options
carkris
carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Hi this falls in line with the HRT discussion. My friend's mom died within the last couple of years from BC. She was ER neg. My friend has never had BC but has recently started taking HRT, she has a stressful life, works the night shift, single mom. She is taking the HRT for menopausal symptoms. Mostly the emotional ones, I keep looking for ways for her to alter her lifestyle, but she is stubborn. I dont want her to end up like me. Anyway she was talking about her fears about HRT but seems to think because her moms BC was ER neg, that it is ok. It is my feeling that BC can be genetic, not necessarily the type you get. It seems the people who have posted here have siblings and parents with various kinds. I have had two differnet types. Anyway, I was wondering if it would be safer for her to take an antidepressant for the menopausal symptoms. I hate BC just dont want to see my frinds get it.

Comments

• pattimc
    pattimc Member Posts: 431
    Options
    HRT
    Funny you just posted this. I just got done emailing my best friend about getting off HRT! She said she tried but couldn't stand the hot flashes and couldn't sleep. For those of us that don't have a choice in the matter (I'm ER positive)we manage. It may not be perfect, but I'll do anything to help prevent a recurrence.

I would agree that an anti-depressant may be a better choice for her. At least to try it for six months or so to see if it helps any.

I worry about my friend, too....
  • roseann4
    roseann4 Member Posts: 992 Member
    Options
    pattimc said:

HRT
    Funny you just posted this. I just got done emailing my best friend about getting off HRT! She said she tried but couldn't stand the hot flashes and couldn't sleep. For those of us that don't have a choice in the matter (I'm ER positive)we manage. It may not be perfect, but I'll do anything to help prevent a recurrence.

I would agree that an anti-depressant may be a better choice for her. At least to try it for six months or so to see if it helps any.

I worry about my friend, too....

Did you see the new story this morning?
    I was just telling my staff about it. They have found that not only does HRT increase the risk of bc, more women die from bc if they have been on HRT because it presents as a more aggressive form. Sound the alarms and tell your friends about the danger involved. I never took them and got bc anyway but it may have been more aggressive had I been on HRT.

Roseann
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member
    Options
    roseann4 said:

Did you see the new story this morning?
    I was just telling my staff about it. They have found that not only does HRT increase the risk of bc, more women die from bc if they have been on HRT because it presents as a more aggressive form. Sound the alarms and tell your friends about the danger involved. I never took them and got bc anyway but it may have been more aggressive had I been on HRT.

Roseann

thanks all. I had a talk
    thanks all. I had a talk with her today, she is going to the doctor to discuss other ways of dealing with her menopausal symptoms.