Medal Taste in my Mouth:

Options
MissouriE
MissouriE Member Posts: 4
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Hello,

I am currently going through chemo.... last Monday I completed 4 every 2 week treatments. Beginning October 25th, I will start 12 weekly chemo treatments. Along with the lack of tasting foods I cannot seam to find anything that will help with the medal taste in my mouth...I know its from the drugs...but is there anything that will help?

Thank you,
MOE

Comments

• Mama G
    Mama G Member Posts: 762
    Options
    once again i will recommend the ice chips during admin
    of the taxol. chew chew chew. Afterward drink, drink, drink! Iliked that expenxive Fuji water for some reason. Ginger Ale, rinse with biotene, little bites of food here and there, banana, apple bits, crackers, hard boilded eggs, and yogurt seemed to work well.
    Good luck. hope it doesn't last long. It as gone for me with the Taxol.
  • MyTurnNow
    MyTurnNow Member Posts: 2,686 Member
    Options
    Moe, not sure if you are
    Moe, not sure if you are using your regular silverware but if you are, try using plastic. That has seemed to help some, too!! The good news is that once your treatments are completed, that symptom will go away. Good luck!
  • sparkle1
    sparkle1 Member Posts: 242
    Options
    MOE - The plasticware
    MOE - The plasticware instead of silverware helped me as well. Also, brush and rinse with the biotene toothpaste and mouthwash. I found it at Walgreeens.
    Sparkle
  • webbwife50
    webbwife50 Member Posts: 394
    Options
    Mama G said:

once again i will recommend the ice chips during admin
    of the taxol. chew chew chew. Afterward drink, drink, drink! Iliked that expenxive Fuji water for some reason. Ginger Ale, rinse with biotene, little bites of food here and there, banana, apple bits, crackers, hard boilded eggs, and yogurt seemed to work well.
    Good luck. hope it doesn't last long. It as gone for me with the Taxol.

Taxol
    I agree with mama G's suggestions, I also go a paste from my dentist, that helped with the taste and protected my mouth from drying out. hugs...alison
  • CypressCynthia
    CypressCynthia Member Posts: 4,014 Member
    Options
    Hope this helps!
    I couldn't eat my favorite foods back when I had the same problem. My taste was so weird and distorted. Foods that I could eat: potato soup (my husband would make a large batch for me); toast; ginger ale; jello; baked potatoes; eggs; crackers.

The suggestions below are from www.chemocare.com/managing/taste_changes.asp

"Things you can do to manage taste changes:

•Maintain good oral hygiene - brush your teeth before and after each meal.
    •Choose and prepare foods that look and smell good to you.
    •Eat small, frequent meals.
    •Do not eat 1-2 hours before chemotherapy and up to 3 hours after therapy.
    •Use plastic utensils if food tastes like metal.
    •Eat mints (or sugar-free mints), chew gum (or sugar-free gum) or chew ice to mask the bitter or metallic taste.
    •Substitute poultry, eggs, fish, peanut butter, beans and dairy products for red meats.
    •Marinate meats in sweet fruit juices, wines, salad dressing, barbeque sauce, or sweet and sour sauces.
    •Flavor foods with herbs, spices, sugar, lemon, and tasty sauces.
    •Chilled or frozen food may be more acceptable than warm or hot food.
    •Try tart foods such as oranges or lemonade (this may be painful if mouth sores are present).
    •Avoid cigarette smoking.
    •Eliminate bad odors.
    •Eat in pleasant surroundings to better manage taste changes.
    •Increase your fluid intake."
  • TraciInLA
    TraciInLA Member Posts: 1,994 Member
    Options

Hope this helps!
    I couldn't eat my favorite foods back when I had the same problem. My taste was so weird and distorted. Foods that I could eat: potato soup (my husband would make a large batch for me); toast; ginger ale; jello; baked potatoes; eggs; crackers.

The suggestions below are from www.chemocare.com/managing/taste_changes.asp

"Things you can do to manage taste changes:

•Maintain good oral hygiene - brush your teeth before and after each meal.
    •Choose and prepare foods that look and smell good to you.
    •Eat small, frequent meals.
    •Do not eat 1-2 hours before chemotherapy and up to 3 hours after therapy.
    •Use plastic utensils if food tastes like metal.
    •Eat mints (or sugar-free mints), chew gum (or sugar-free gum) or chew ice to mask the bitter or metallic taste.
    •Substitute poultry, eggs, fish, peanut butter, beans and dairy products for red meats.
    •Marinate meats in sweet fruit juices, wines, salad dressing, barbeque sauce, or sweet and sour sauces.
    •Flavor foods with herbs, spices, sugar, lemon, and tasty sauces.
    •Chilled or frozen food may be more acceptable than warm or hot food.
    •Try tart foods such as oranges or lemonade (this may be painful if mouth sores are present).
    •Avoid cigarette smoking.
    •Eliminate bad odors.
    •Eat in pleasant surroundings to better manage taste changes.
    •Increase your fluid intake."

Crystal Light my best suggestion
    Moe,

My biggest problem with the metal taste was that it kept me from drinking enough water, because plain water tasted like sucking on a piece of metal.

Crystal Light was a lifesaver for me -- I don't like the taste of it made full-strength, but I just sprinkled a little in my water glass. It really helped cut the metal taste. And they have like 100 flavors -- it was kind of fun to try a different one each time I went to the grocery store.

Others here have suggested that lemon slices in water help cut the metal taste. I also highly recommend the Biotene mouthwash -- it really helped me with the cotton-mouth feeling, and mouth sores.

Traci
  • Rague
    Rague Member Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    Can't help with the metal
    Can't help with the metal taste as I didn't have it but have heard that using plasic silverware and cooking in 'glass' pots and pans helps.

I didn't any taste or appetite (both had left very early in A/C - started Aug 26,09) back until after Taxol was done (12 weekly done on Jan 28, '10. Taste started back first about 1/2 way through rads but appetite took a lot longer to come back - it still isn't completely back yet - last rads was March 4th.

We're all so different.

Susanh
  • cahjah75
    cahjah75 Member Posts: 2,631
    Options
    MOE
    I use Biotene toothpaste & mouthwash. I drink lots of water (flavored and plain). I also use plastic silverware and have not had any metal taste at all! I eat smaller meals (helps with any acid reflux). Hope you find a solution quick.
    {{hugs}} Char
  • racergirl
    racergirl Member Posts: 50
    Options
    TraciInLA said:

Crystal Light my best suggestion
    Moe,

My biggest problem with the metal taste was that it kept me from drinking enough water, because plain water tasted like sucking on a piece of metal.

Crystal Light was a lifesaver for me -- I don't like the taste of it made full-strength, but I just sprinkled a little in my water glass. It really helped cut the metal taste. And they have like 100 flavors -- it was kind of fun to try a different one each time I went to the grocery store.

Others here have suggested that lemon slices in water help cut the metal taste. I also highly recommend the Biotene mouthwash -- it really helped me with the cotton-mouth feeling, and mouth sores.

Traci

ditto
    Absolutley agree on the crystal light.