How to know when to take PEG out?

Options
hawk711
hawk711 Member Posts: 566
edited March 2014 in Head and Neck Cancer #1
Hi All
I have had a PEG for about 7 months and still use it every day. I eat soft things, soups, yogurts, some chicken and fish, but only a small amount. My question is how do you know or when did you decide to take out your PEG?????

I can probably eat and drink my 2200 calories needed, but I'm sure I'll get tired of ensure and the same repetitive things to eat. I don't want to lose weight either. So did you all just stop the PEG and make yourself eat, or did you eat well and then cut down on the PEG? My lack of saliva doesn't allow me to eat without flushing with water or milk and I'm trying to understand everyones thought process.

Thanks for responding, I have a Dr's appointment tomorrow to discuss with him...

All the best to each of you.
Steve

Comments

• Glenna M
    Glenna M Member Posts: 1,576
    Options
    PEG removal
    Hi Steve,
    Most doctors will not remove your PEG until you can go without using the tube at all and get all of your food and water by mouth for a certain period of time and still maintain your weight.

I was anxious to have mine removed so I forced myself to eat and drink Ensure even if I couldn't taste everything. The tube was an annoyance and I wanted to be free from it as soon as possible.

I am one year post treatment for laryngeal and lung cancer and I still have to sip water with certain foods but can eat almost anything. My saliva production is not that great but I still manage to enjoy most meals.

Discuss this with your doctor as I am sure he will explain what he requires before he will remove it.

Stay well,
    Glenna
  • JUDYV5
    JUDYV5 Member Posts: 392
    Options
    Peg removal
    I was told I could have it removed if I didn't use it and was able to maintain my weight for an amount of time. I quit cold turkey and just forced myself to eat. After two weeks I called the doctors and told them I wanted it out. I don't like the ensure either, but I liked the tube less. I am about 10 pounds less then I was when I first got diagnosed. I am 4 months out. I got the tube removed about a month ago.
  • CLRRN
    CLRRN Member Posts: 127
    Options
    Pull the PEG
    Hi Steve,

The doctors told my "other half", Mike, the PEG could be removed once he could sustain his weight for at least 2 weeks without the use of the tube. With the help of scandishakes (4/day = 2400 cal) he has been able to sustain his weight. He can tolerate the shakes, some soup, jello and occasional cream of wheat. I'm happy to say, had his tube pulled one week ago today!!!

Fingers crossed for ya!!

Chris
  • rozaroo
    rozaroo Member Posts: 665
    Options
    CLRRN said:

Pull the PEG
    Hi Steve,

The doctors told my "other half", Mike, the PEG could be removed once he could sustain his weight for at least 2 weeks without the use of the tube. With the help of scandishakes (4/day = 2400 cal) he has been able to sustain his weight. He can tolerate the shakes, some soup, jello and occasional cream of wheat. I'm happy to say, had his tube pulled one week ago today!!!

Fingers crossed for ya!!

Chris

Peg!
    I am eight month's post treatment & was ready too have mine pulled a couple of month's ago. my oncologist wanted to be sure a spot in my throat was healed up first. I have severe dry mouth but just chase everything down with milk or shakes etc. I can eat most thing's now especially seafood & fish with a butter sauce etc. I also make protien shakes & add fruit etc. It is amazing how things have improved for me food wise as each day go's by.
  • hawk711
    hawk711 Member Posts: 566
    Options
    CLRRN said:

Pull the PEG
    Hi Steve,

Fingers crossed for ya!!

Chris

Scandishakes???
    Chris
    Would love to know what a scandishake is for 600 calories per shake? Can you help?
    Thanks Steve
  • CLRRN
    CLRRN Member Posts: 127
    Options
    hawk711 said:

Scandishakes???
    Chris
    Would love to know what a scandishake is for 600 calories per shake? Can you help?
    Thanks Steve

Shakes...
    Hi Steve,

They are called scandishakes (axcan pharma). It's a powder-he mixes one pack with 8 oz of whole milk and it yields 600cal in 8oz. He drinks 4 per day. Mike likes the vanilla. He got a sample pack initially and with three flavors and vanilla won. LOL

Here is the link....

http://store.axcanscandipharm.com/home.php?xid=eb62ddd6b91bbaf22d6fbeb29dd8b3fc

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Chris
  • debbij
    debbij Member Posts: 22
    Options
    PEG
    its time..as long as you can swallow..its time...you can make smoothies to increase you weight and still get the nourishment you need...get benecal..its made my nestle and it have 360 calories..mix 2 in a smoothie and you'll be fine..take tiny steps but as long as you can swallow, its time to say good bye to the PEG

good luck