diep flap issue

Options
jphilpo
jphilpo Member Posts: 177
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I had a diep flap reconstruction in June. I am very happy with the results, however, me left breast did not heal as well due to some tissue erosion during surgery. My surgeon has scheduled me for surgery next month to repair this. Anyone else have this happen?

Thanks,

Jean

Comments

• VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    Options
    Jean, not me .. I am so very sorry .. that you
    have to endure another surgery. Have you asked your surgeon how common this is? Perhaps you can go online and look up breast cancer surgeries, and find a site that will give you stat's on each procedure.

Hoping another Sister in PINK .. can give you some information.

Strength and Courage.

•☆.•*´¨`*••♥ Vicki Sam ♥••*´¨`*•.☆•
  • jphilpo
    Options
    VickiSam said:

Jean, not me .. I am so very sorry .. that you
    have to endure another surgery. Have you asked your surgeon how common this is? Perhaps you can go online and look up breast cancer surgeries, and find a site that will give you stat's on each procedure.

Hoping another Sister in PINK .. can give you some information.

Strength and Courage.

•☆.•*´¨`*••♥ Vicki Sam ♥••*´¨`*•.☆•

surgery
    Thanks, VickiSam for your kind words. I am having a hard time dealing with another surgery. I will get past it and move on. Good advice about the quest for info.

Jean
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    Options
    jphilpo said:

surgery
    Thanks, VickiSam for your kind words. I am having a hard time dealing with another surgery. I will get past it and move on. Good advice about the quest for info.

Jean

Jean .. just to share my bil lateral surgeries issues ...
    1/12/10 .. bi lateral / double mactmy
    4/18/10 ... contacted staph infection while on vacation at the
    grand cayond . .. arziona

5 day emergency hospital stay ...

4/20 .. right tissue expander removed - infected due to staph

5/20 .. right tissue expander replaced (2nd time -- first in Jan after bi lateral)

7/21 .. tissue expanders exchanged for new ta-ta's .. my choice saline implants

9/21 .. right lift .. as my right new breast dropped..

... nipple reconstruction, no thank you .. I am opting for 3D tattoo's in May 2011 -- I need to wait at least 6 to 7 months before my doctor can do anything .. this gives me incisions time to heal ...

6 major surgeries in 8 months .. and did I mention my poor right breast .. yes, she was my non cancer breast.

Surgeons and their levels of expertise have come a long way ... Good Luck ...

Strength to you, Jean.

Vicki Sam
  • jphilpo
    Options
    VickiSam said:

5/20 .. right tissue expander replaced (2nd time -- first in Jan after bi lateral)

... nipple reconstruction, no thank you .. I am opting for 3D tattoo's in May 2011 -- I need to wait at least 6 to 7 months before my doctor can do anything .. this gives me incisions time to heal ...

6 major surgeries in 8 months .. and did I mention my poor right breast .. yes, she was my non cancer breast.

Strength to you, Jean.

Vicki Sam

wow
    Everytime I think I am alone in this, I am proven wrong. This will be my 5th surgery in 9 months and I can't believe how much you have been through. I too can't even think about nipple reconstruction. I am also dealing with femara/tamoxifen issues.

sigh.......................

Thanks again
  • webbwife50
    webbwife50 Member Posts: 394
    Options
    jphilpo said:

wow
    Everytime I think I am alone in this, I am proven wrong. This will be my 5th surgery in 9 months and I can't believe how much you have been through. I too can't even think about nipple reconstruction. I am also dealing with femara/tamoxifen issues.

sigh.......................

Thanks again

wow again!
    I bow to you vickiesam, that is a lot, to have to endure, I had 4 surgeries (out by general) in 8 months, numerous small stuff, you are truly a warrior. I am finally healed up from recon, and am also considering the 3d tatoo next year versus, nipple recon. I just can't deal with the thought of another procedure, for awhile..God bless you..alison
  • Bedee
    Bedee Member Posts: 24
    Options
    Jean
    I'm sorry you have to

Jean

I'm sorry you have to go through this.

I've been looking into having this procedure done. Could you tell me where you had yours?
    thanks
    debbie
  • patti anne
    patti anne Member Posts: 101
    Options
    Yes
    Jean,
    Yes, I had scar revision done on my breast after a diep. I only had the diep on the left side. When I was getting the nipple and the right breast lifted, the surgeon did some scar revision on the left breast and my stomach scar. Looks fine now. (the revision was done 3 weeks ago)

Patti
  • seof
    seof Member Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    sorry
    Sorry, not sure what happened to my last attempt. Here's my experience:

I had DIEP reconstruction bilaterally. Found out I was VERY alergic to dermabond (never had a problem with it with inserting chemo port or mastectomy or expanders or revision of scars on expanders). Once I got over the rash from shoulders to hips, I got an infection in the abdominal incision that required 2 revisions, installation of drains, finally the use of a pump and home health nurse to get it cleared up. Then I had another surgery for revising the scar tissue from the infection. The whole process took nearly a year. Now it is all healed up. I am also not interested in another procedure for the nipples. I am quite happy to be done with Dr. visits for a long while. I think my experience is rare, but yours is not.

Just keep looking to the future and keep the end result in mind. seof
  • jphilpo
    Options
    Bedee said:

Jean
    I'm sorry you have to

Jean

I'm sorry you have to go through this.

I've been looking into having this procedure done. Could you tell me where you had yours?
    thanks
    debbie

diep flap
    Debbie, I had my surgery at Texas Woman's Hosp. in Houston. I am very pleased with the result. I was just not prepared for the latest surgery to make a repair.
  • JustRenay
    JustRenay Member Posts: 54
    Options
    VickiSam said:

Strength to you, Jean.

Vicki Sam

I feel your pain
    I had 8 surgeries in 3 years...and I think you made a good decision opting for the tattoos. I did the nipple reconstruction with tattooing after, and tho they looked amazing at first...they almost totally flattened out...so I basically have tattoos only, anyway :( I had some problem also with my skin not reacting well to the tattooing...they healed a bit blotchy...so I will have to have them touched up...I love the shape and color tho...so I'm delaying any fixed for now...I'm burned out, as I'm sure you are!!!
  • JustRenay
    JustRenay Member Posts: 54
    Options
    VickiSam said:

Strength to you, Jean.

Vicki Sam

I feel your pain
    I had 8 surgeries in 3 years...and I think you made a good decision opting for the tattoos. I did the nipple reconstruction with tattooing after, and tho they looked amazing at first...they almost totally flattened out...so I basically have tattoos only, anyway :( I had some problem also with my skin not reacting well to the tattooing...they healed a bit blotchy...so I will have to have them touched up...I love the shape and color tho...so I'm delaying any fixed for now...I'm burned out, as I'm sure you are!!!