Instant Nonfat Dry Milk to Add Protein

Options
hopeful girl 1
hopeful girl 1 Member Posts: 454
Friends,

Has anyone tried mixing instand nonfat dry milk into regular milk to add protein to rebuild cells during chemo?

Has anyone heard how much protein is good during chemo? I have heard between 60-80 grams.
Does this sound right or too high?

I know normally too much protein is not good for kidneys.

Hugs.

Comments

• lindaprocopio
    lindaprocopio Member Posts: 1,980
    Options
    A nutritionist encouraged me to have 2 CIB daily for protein.
    I saw a nutritionist when my bowels got so inflammed following my trip to Greece & Turkey after my radiation. She had me on a special low-residue diet that was to include 2 packets of Carnation Instant Breakfast (CIB) daily so that I would get adequate protein. Each day I'd mix a packet of the French Vanilla into a carton of Greek yogurt and that was delicious as the yogurt really cut the sweetness of the CIB and gave it a cheesecake like flavor. Then in the evening I'd warm a cup of milk and stir in a packet of the chocolate CIB, for a comforting 'hot chocolate', also really yummy. If CIB wasn't so fattening, I'd still be eating these 2 treats. I say "Go for it!" as it is an effortless way to get significant extra protein if you know you aren't getting enough.
  • jazzy1
    jazzy1 Member Posts: 1,379
    Options
    Protein
    I was told by my nutritionist and friend who's RN in oncology, while in treatments we need the protein to help rebuild our muscles and build up our strength. Think of the power weight lifters as they take protein for muscle building, so should we. Get no more than 60 grams of protein (WHEY) per day. I mixed with juice, and today mix with soy milk or almond juice.

Never tried the powder milk as always had troubles when younger getting it down...taste didn't settle with me at all.

Too much protein? Yep if you do much more than the suggested amounts, then you'll have issues.

Best to you and hope all is well...
    Jan
  • daisy366
    daisy366 Member Posts: 1,458 Member
    Options
    jazzy1 said:

Protein
    I was told by my nutritionist and friend who's RN in oncology, while in treatments we need the protein to help rebuild our muscles and build up our strength. Think of the power weight lifters as they take protein for muscle building, so should we. Get no more than 60 grams of protein (WHEY) per day. I mixed with juice, and today mix with soy milk or almond juice.

Never tried the powder milk as always had troubles when younger getting it down...taste didn't settle with me at all.

Too much protein? Yep if you do much more than the suggested amounts, then you'll have issues.

Best to you and hope all is well...
    Jan

protein
    I'm back in chemo too and they are all pushing protein. I think it helps to keep our strength and rebuild the body.

Since I've gone mostly vegetarian and I need to stay with soft food, I am eating eggs, yogurt, quinoa (great source of protein and fiber which can be eaten like cereal or added to other foods - soups, etc). I like beans and rice too, soy is another - I am going to try making my own miso soup!!

There are lots of ways to add protein that are healthy. Blessings to you. Mary Ann