Tamoxifen

Options
ppurdin
ppurdin Member Posts: 1,181 Member
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Hi everyone.I still check in on this board from time to time.I am still dancing with NED.But taking this med. is giving me alot of side effects.The hot flashes are the worse.And not being able to lose weight while taking it.I have stopped taking it for a week to see how much better I feel.I feel alot better.I stopped taking armidex because of the joint pain.I feel better but also know I need to take the Cancer pill of some sort.Femera would be the next one I have not tryed.Taking Cancer pill gives me a 14% less chance of getting Cancer back again.I wish I could go without taking anything but I am scared not two. To all the new people on this board God bless you and hang in their.And the one,s that remember me Thank you for helping me so many times,God bless you all.

Comments

• Kat11
    Kat11 Member Posts: 1,931 Member
    Options
    I get the weight loss problem
    I am also on Tamoxifen. I have the hot flashes and am having problems with weight. I do what they tell me to.
  • Miss Murphy
    Miss Murphy Member Posts: 302
    Options
    Understand Completely
    I took Femara and then tried Armidex - had severe side effects with both. Last October my onc switched me to Tamoxifen. It's not great but more doable. The hot flashes were bad at first but now I'm down to maybe two or three a night and rarely during the day. I also gained weight but after a year seem to be able to at least maintain. Other side effect is that most days I feel like I have PMS 24/7!I'm sure my husband must feel like he's living in a mine field at times -lol!

I'd like to go off the stuff too but figure I'll just suffer thru the side effects I have - I'm halfway thru so only 2 1/2 more years to go but who's counting?!

Good luck to you and maybe the side effects will lessen for you over time - I hope so.

Hugs, Sally
  • sea60
    sea60 Member Posts: 2,613
    Options
    Whew!
    I'm fanning myself as I write this. Yes! Went from Arimidex to Tamoxifen and those hot flashes just keep on coming!

Who would have thought I'd get so thrilled at the freezer section in the grocery store!

Blessings & Hugs!
    Sylvia
  • MyTurnNow
    MyTurnNow Member Posts: 2,686 Member
    Options
    Hi Pat!!
    It's good to see you back. I don't have any answers for you but am glad to read that you are still dancing with NED. That's awesome!! Keep in touch.
  • ms.sunshine
    ms.sunshine Member Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    MyTurnNow said:

Hi Pat!!
    It's good to see you back. I don't have any answers for you but am glad to read that you are still dancing with NED. That's awesome!! Keep in touch.

Hello
    Good to hear from you. Darn those hot flashes, I can't stand them. Take care , and keep us posted on your progress.
    Jennifer
  • Sher43009
    Sher43009 Member Posts: 602 Member
    Options

Hello
    Good to hear from you. Darn those hot flashes, I can't stand them. Take care , and keep us posted on your progress.
    Jennifer

Also on Tamoxifen
    I've been on tamoxifen since Feb 2010 and the night sweats were so bad oncol put me on Effexor. I'm also on Ambien to help me sleep so between the 2 the flashes have really calmed down. Talk to your oncol maybe they'll work for you.
    Sher
  • JustRenay
    JustRenay Member Posts: 54
    Options
    I know it's hard
    I took Tamoxifen for 2.5 years and am now on Femara until April 2010. It will have been about 2.5 years on the Femara as well. Unfortunately, it seems that both have similar side effects...the hot flashes...plus for me, the chemo and a subsequent hysterectomy for unrelated reasons, threw me into instant menopause. Additional effects for me were the joint pain, insomia, weight gain (and inability to lose weight)...sounds like what you are dealing with. I too, was afraid to stop taking it...so just tried to make the best of it with excercise which helps the weight and joint pain, and took melatonin for my insomnia...the hot flashes have eased alot over time...so hang in there...Even with the discomfort of these side effects, it's alot better than the alternative...in the end, time will pass more quickly than you think...This past 5 years, tho so difficult during my treatment, have really flown by...thoughts and prayers to you and all others dealing with treatment and meds :) Renay
  • JustRenay
    JustRenay Member Posts: 54
    Options
    OH...I FORGOT...
    I found a great website where you can search on any medication, and see postings from patients who have or are taking it...for some reason there is cofort in knowing that you are not the only one dealing with the side effects of a drug...and it gives you hope for the alleviations of symptoms when you can stop the dosage...Hang in there all!!!

www.askapatient.com

Renay