Stage 4 Breast Cancer - positive news needed

Options
PaulJ
PaulJ Member Posts: 1
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Hi, my name is Paul and I'm from England - last summer a good friend of ours was diagnosed with breast cancer - after undergoing a mastectomy later in the year she was diagnosed with secondary cancer in her spine and pelvis. Like most of the people on this site she's been through a terrible time, with her latest scan showing up 2 or 3 new patches on her spine (now c 9 in total). She's had Chemotherapy once and has just started her second course today..

What's my part in this? Our friend broached the subject of 'the web' with her counsellor, she asked "how can I look on the web for stories that show people with my condition living longer than 5 years without reading too many sad stories".. Quite understandably she wants to read good news to lift her spirits and she asked me if I would trawl the web for her and share the good news. It's the least I can do - so here I am.

I hope my story makes sense and there's someone out there who can offer us some help and good news. Tell me your story if you have, or know someone, who has Stage 4 and is having a positive outcome.

Equally I hope what I've written isn't naive or disrespectful of anyone on the site.

Just for a little more background - our friend has two beautiful young children - boys, aged 5 and 2 and a husband who's naturally very worried - they have been our friends for many years.

I wish you all good luck and best wishes for the future.

Comments

• canjuncutie
    canjuncutie Member Posts: 131
    Options
    I was told I was incureable
    This was after my biosey. mmy dx was in july of this I am still living going through chemo and living.At the time of biosey i was stage 2 by surgery i came out to be stage 3 with node involvement.
  • Gabe N Abby Mom
    Gabe N Abby Mom Member Posts: 2,413
    Options
    My heart goes out to your
    My heart goes out to your friend and her family. I'm not stage IV, but you will find several women here who are, and they will respond. You will find the people here compassionate, and supportive.

My thoughts and prayers to all of you.
  • Marsha Mulvey
    Marsha Mulvey Member Posts: 597 Member
    Options

My heart goes out to your
    My heart goes out to your friend and her family. I'm not stage IV, but you will find several women here who are, and they will respond. You will find the people here compassionate, and supportive.

My thoughts and prayers to all of you.

Paul
    I'm sorry to hear of your friend's diagnosis, but happy that she has someone like you for support.
    It may be of some comfort to know that while it is bad enough, metastasized breast cancer to the bone is not as bad as when it reaches soft tissue such as lungs, brain, or liver. As long as it remains in the hard part of the bone and not the bone marrow, it can be treated and managed for a long time.

No one knows how long she may live, but there are ladies out there who have far surpassed that 5 year mark you spoke of. While Stage IV BC is considered incurable, it can sometimes be treated successfully as a chronic illness. She may have to have some kind of treatments forever, or if it can be stabilized, treatments may be needed only intermittently.

Perhaps someone will come along with more precise information. I do have mets to the bones, liver, and skin but am still in the middle of the fight - so no real success story here. Hopefully something I've written will be encouraging for you.

Great strides have been made in just the past 8 or 10 years in fighting this disease. Who knows what lies on the horizon? Best wishes to you and your friend.
    MM
  • Aortus
    Aortus Member Posts: 967
    Options
    You are a good friend indeed, Paul
    Breastcancer.org has a separate Stage IV Survivors discussion board. The following link is to a "Roll Call" thread, in which people shout out HERE!

http://community.breastcancer.org/forum/8/topic/707445

I hope this helps you and your friend!!

Best,
    Joe
  • webbwife50
    webbwife50 Member Posts: 394
    Options
    Friend
    Dear Paul, so happy you found us here. We are the face of bc and all about living. While there are sad stories, that is to be expected, just like anywhere else in life. I hope your friend finds her way here. I know for myself this site has been a life-line during some very discouraging times. Here she will find hope, friendship, and share the knowledge cummulatively learned by warriors in pink. God bless you, and your friend, with peace and hope....alison
  • DebbyM
    DebbyM Member Posts: 3,289 Member
    Options
    Aortus said:

You are a good friend indeed, Paul
    Breastcancer.org has a separate Stage IV Survivors discussion board. The following link is to a "Roll Call" thread, in which people shout out HERE!

http://community.breastcancer.org/forum/8/topic/707445

I hope this helps you and your friend!!

Best,
    Joe

I'm not Stage IV either,
    I'm not Stage IV either, but, the site that Joe posted is a really good site. I think it will help a lot. Praying for your friend.

Hugs, Debby
  • roseann4
    roseann4 Member Posts: 992 Member
    Options

Friend
    Dear Paul, so happy you found us here. We are the face of bc and all about living. While there are sad stories, that is to be expected, just like anywhere else in life. I hope your friend finds her way here. I know for myself this site has been a life-line during some very discouraging times. Here she will find hope, friendship, and share the knowledge cummulatively learned by warriors in pink. God bless you, and your friend, with peace and hope....alison

New treatments on the horizon.
    Hi Paul,

I know she is terrified, I would be too but there are new drugs all the time. If she can focus on today and not project what may or may not happen. Suggest she read, "Anti Cancer" and "Biology of Belief". Both of these books will help her feel she has some control over her healing. If the internet is upsetting to her, she should not go on it and only do things that fill her with hope.

Roseann
  • sarahfeine
    sarahfeine Member Posts: 2
    Options
    I am stage IV with bone mets as well
    Dear Paul,

I have not had cancer for over 5 years, but I plan to live much longer than that. I was diagnosed in January of this year with breast cancer that had spread to my lymphnodes, liver, and sacral spine. After 6 months of chemo with herceptin and zometa all my tumors dissapeared except the original breast tumors. I had surgery to remove my breasts and am now considered NED (No Evidence of Disease). There is always the chance that the cancer might return, yet I am keeping a watchful eye out, allong with a positive attitude. I will stay on Herceptin and Zometa to prevent a reacurrance and keep my bones strong. I am also taking an array of vitamins and calcium to help my bones. I wish your friend the best of luck with her treatments. A positive outlook can do wonders.

Sarah
  • CypressCynthia
    CypressCynthia Member Posts: 4,014 Member
    Options
    Keep hope alive
    I was diagnosed with Stage 3A breast cancer in 1987. In 2009, I had a recurrence after a 22 years remission. I have been Stage IV since April 2009. The good news is that I seem to be back in remission and am doing fine. I work fulltime and live my life to the fullest. I sometimes feel that I am here to give hope. There are women out there who do well, even with Stage IV, but, as we heal, we are often less likely to post and share our story.