Chemo

Options
Jean T. Szabo
Jean T. Szabo Member Posts: 193
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Will have 4 treatments 3 weeks apart, Taxotere and Cytoxan, taking Decadron the night before, morning of and night after chemo followed by two pills at dinner for two night after. Shot of Neulasta day following. This is the routine for each cycle. Now reading the most common side effects of the drugs. Will be done by Christmas. This will start on Tuesday. Can anyone tell me how many days they felt the side effects after their Chemo?
Should I stock up on Malox for heart burn, acid reflux? Immodium AD?

Comments

• Annette 11
    Annette 11 Member Posts: 380
    Options
    chemo
    Jean, You are taking the same treatment as I am. I am getting Tax. and Cyt. 4 treatments 3 weeks apart. I take Decadron day before and the day after chemo, 2 pills in am and 2 pills pm both days. Also Emend for 2 days after chemo.
    First chemo I did good, not many side effects at all. Second chemo had burping all day and night by the next day it was better,felt more tired and sleepy it lasted about 4 days. The day or 2 after steriods was wierd for me...I was emotional, confused, coudn't sleep so I took Lorazapam 0.5mg which calmed me and helped me sleep.
    Hope you do ok.
    Hugs,
    Annette
  • Jean T. Szabo
    Options

chemo
    Jean, You are taking the same treatment as I am. I am getting Tax. and Cyt. 4 treatments 3 weeks apart. I take Decadron day before and the day after chemo, 2 pills in am and 2 pills pm both days. Also Emend for 2 days after chemo.
    First chemo I did good, not many side effects at all. Second chemo had burping all day and night by the next day it was better,felt more tired and sleepy it lasted about 4 days. The day or 2 after steriods was wierd for me...I was emotional, confused, coudn't sleep so I took Lorazapam 0.5mg which calmed me and helped me sleep.
    Hope you do ok.
    Hugs,
    Annette

Thank you
    Thank you Annette. Trying to "get ready" emotionally and to learn all of this termnology. Going to ask about getting my hair "buzzed off" at my first Chemo appointment since hair loss is going to happen. Will look at scarfs and caps for night time;Cotton sleep cap. Is there anything we can do for the scalp when the hair falls off to make it feel comfortable? Heard there was itching, soreness when it falls out.
  • DianeBC
    DianeBC Member Posts: 3,881 Member
    Options

chemo
    Hope you do ok.
    Hugs,
    Annette

I didn't take chemo Jean,
    I didn't take chemo Jean, but, want to wish you good luck. Other sisters that have will post information for you.

Hugs, Diane
  • Snowkitty
    Snowkitty Member Posts: 295
    Options
    I had the same chemo as you.
    I had the same chemo as you. My schedule: T/C Thursday; felt fine Thurs, Fri, Sat; kinda pukey Sun and Mon, tired on Tues and better Wed and rest of time. I felt so good on the first Saturday, I stopped nausea meds...don't do it.

Hair started to fall out on schedule on day 15 so I had it buzzed. Hair follicles were tender so I kept head covered. Even a slight breeze was uncomfortable. I stopped chemo Sept 2 and now have a five o'clock shadow and love to "pet my head."

I was a burping machine. Felt like I had to have something on my stomach all the time so as not to feel nauseous. Onc recommended Zantac and it worked great.

As far as the digestive system goes, little constipated on Sat so I ate prunes, etc and was fine by Sunday.

Good luck, Cindy
  • Boppy_of_6
    Boppy_of_6 Member Posts: 1,138
    Options
    Snowkitty said:

I had the same chemo as you.
    I had the same chemo as you. My schedule: T/C Thursday; felt fine Thurs, Fri, Sat; kinda pukey Sun and Mon, tired on Tues and better Wed and rest of time. I felt so good on the first Saturday, I stopped nausea meds...don't do it.

Hair started to fall out on schedule on day 15 so I had it buzzed. Hair follicles were tender so I kept head covered. Even a slight breeze was uncomfortable. I stopped chemo Sept 2 and now have a five o'clock shadow and love to "pet my head."

I was a burping machine. Felt like I had to have something on my stomach all the time so as not to feel nauseous. Onc recommended Zantac and it worked great.

As far as the digestive system goes, little constipated on Sat so I ate prunes, etc and was fine by Sunday.

Good luck, Cindy

same meds
    I had the same chemo as you, finished in July. I only had the steroids day of tx. The first tx I felt really foggy for about a week. Not any nausea but had diarhea. I did have meds for nausea that nurse told me to take night of and morning after even if I did not think I needed them. The next tx I did not feel near as foggy feeling but was constipated. I had tx on Fridays and generally Sunday was my worse day, it was Monday one time. I was tried and draggy but overall not near as bad as I had feared. I never had any probs with indigestion etc. God Bless
    (((Hugs))) Janice
  • Jean 0609
    Jean 0609 Member Posts: 2,462
    Options
    Hi Jean,
    I had the exact same treatments as you, plus I had Herceptin also. I took the Decadron twice the day before, twice the day of, and twice the day after. Also had the Neulasta shot the day after. Lucky for me, I didn't have any nausea. I drank ginger ale and coconut water. I would have constipation the following day, which then turned into diarreah the next day.

My chemo treatments were Wednesdays. So I was fine until Saturday. That was my crash day. I think it was more from coming down off the steroid high. I would do absolutely nothing except lay around all day. By Sunday I was just about back to normal. Except for my 4th and last treatment. I crashed Saturday, Sunday & Monday. By Tuesday, I was beginning to feel back to normal.

I buzzed my hair after my 4th treatment. It lasted that long. Just wanted to try to make it grow back evenly.

Good luck with your treatments and let us know how you do.

Hugs, Jean
  • Jean T. Szabo
    Options
    Jean 0609 said:

Hi Jean,
    I had the exact same treatments as you, plus I had Herceptin also. I took the Decadron twice the day before, twice the day of, and twice the day after. Also had the Neulasta shot the day after. Lucky for me, I didn't have any nausea. I drank ginger ale and coconut water. I would have constipation the following day, which then turned into diarreah the next day.

My chemo treatments were Wednesdays. So I was fine until Saturday. That was my crash day. I think it was more from coming down off the steroid high. I would do absolutely nothing except lay around all day. By Sunday I was just about back to normal. Except for my 4th and last treatment. I crashed Saturday, Sunday & Monday. By Tuesday, I was beginning to feel back to normal.

I buzzed my hair after my 4th treatment. It lasted that long. Just wanted to try to make it grow back evenly.

Good luck with your treatments and let us know how you do.

Hugs, Jean

Chemo
    Want to thank everyone for their in-put. Just took my first two Decadron (steroid) pills. Have to take two tomrrow, the morning of and at night after my session. Then have to take two pills at night for Wednesday and Thursday. First T/C tomorrow morning. Then Neulasta shot on Wednesday. Will pick up prescription tomorrow for Atvia.
  • Annette 11
    Annette 11 Member Posts: 380
    Options

Thank you
    Thank you Annette. Trying to "get ready" emotionally and to learn all of this termnology. Going to ask about getting my hair "buzzed off" at my first Chemo appointment since hair loss is going to happen. Will look at scarfs and caps for night time;Cotton sleep cap. Is there anything we can do for the scalp when the hair falls off to make it feel comfortable? Heard there was itching, soreness when it falls out.

hair
    Jean, Never had any problems with my scalp. Never needed cap,didn't itch, never soreness so I would just wait and see how you are. I use Johnson's baby shampoo (just alittle) everynight when I shower. When I had hair I didn't wash it every night, because it would dry out, but I seem to need to now, it just feels oily. Of course, all the above may change after 3rd. chemo next Monday. But as of now no problems with head. I waited until it started to fall out, it was about 15 days after 1st. chemo then my husband shaved it off. I just wear a bandana when I go out.
    hugs :)
    Annette
  • Miss Murphy
    Miss Murphy Member Posts: 302
    Options

Chemo
    Want to thank everyone for their in-put. Just took my first two Decadron (steroid) pills. Have to take two tomrrow, the morning of and at night after my session. Then have to take two pills at night for Wednesday and Thursday. First T/C tomorrow morning. Then Neulasta shot on Wednesday. Will pick up prescription tomorrow for Atvia.

No In-Put
    I didn't need chemo so I don't have anything to add except my support. Good luck tomorrow - I'll be thinking of you and hoping all goes smoothly.

Hugs, Sally
  • Snowkitty
    Snowkitty Member Posts: 295
    Options

Chemo

Jean, you might want to ask
    Jean, you might want to ask onc about taking the steroid that late at night. Mine said to take it in the am and then not later than 2 pm. Hard to sleep when taken late.

Good luck
    Cindy
  • Jean T. Szabo
    Options
    Snowkitty said:

Jean, you might want to ask
    Jean, you might want to ask onc about taking the steroid that late at night. Mine said to take it in the am and then not later than 2 pm. Hard to sleep when taken late.

Good luck
    Cindy

Steroids
    Thank you for your suggestion. Will do.
  • webbwife50
    webbwife50 Member Posts: 394
    Options

Steroids
    Thank you for your suggestion. Will do.

Hi Jean
    Just wondering how you are doing today! Hope you are not feeling to badly. hugs...alison
  • Jean T. Szabo
    Options

Hi Jean
    Just wondering how you are doing today! Hope you are not feeling to badly. hugs...alison

Neulasta shot
    Feeling good. Thanks for asking, sincerely appreciate it. Had the Neulasta shot this morning. Now waiting to see if there will be side-effects once the steroids wear off. Last dose of Decadron tomorrow, Thursday. Taking Avita at night to sleep, have anti-nausea prescription. All prepared with Walgreens meds, for the usual side effects, filled up my medicine chest. Just praying for a smooth rest of the week. Nurse said to take it easy and not overdo or schedule anything until next week. Thinking by the the side-effects will be manageable and gone hopefully by next Monday.
  • cahjah75
    cahjah75 Member Posts: 2,631
    Options
    Jean
    You are getting the same cocktail I have except that I'm having 6 treatments. The first 2 (on Tuesdays) I felt fine after chemo. I got the Neulasta shot the next day (Wednesday) and by Friday I was tired and slept 12 hours at a time and took extra strength Tylenol. Chemo 3 & 4 I was more tired but able to drive myself to treatment. By Thursday night I was ready to pack it in and slept a lot! I have 2 more to go. I find that if I eat small non spicy meals I'm ok but if you are bothered by acid reflux sleep with your head elevated and/or take Prilosec OTC. I use plastic silverware and drink lots of water. I also use Biotene products. I never had constipation but I do have occasional diarrhea so stock up on the Immodium.
    {{hugs}} Char