Strides ??

Options
Sher43009
Sher43009 Member Posts: 602 Member
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I had a ACS volunteer come up to me in the Survivors tent and ask if I would volunteer for ACS Reach to Recovery. It's a peer-to-peer support program. Has anyone done this? What was your experience? Part of me feels I'm in need of support not the one giving it, but then it may help me to give forward and help someone else. Any thoughts?

Thanks
Sher

Comments

• Megan M
    Megan M Member Posts: 3,000
    Options
    I haven't done this, but, I
    I haven't done this, but, I think the program is great IF you feel you want to and can do it. I don't feel that I would be any good at it, but, I know many would. Good luck to you if you do it. You could always try it, and, if it doesn't work out, just quit.

Hugs, Megan
  • seof
    seof Member Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    I have not
    I have not been involved with this group, but I have heard of it. Some people find it therapeutic to reach out to others and offer help. It may be that you might gain a support group even as you seek to support others. OR, you may be at a point in your life where you just don't have it to give right now. Either way, it is OK. The only way to find out for sure is to try it, if you feel up to it. Just don't "guilt" yourself into it!

Take care, seof
  • Sher43009
    Sher43009 Member Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    seof said:

I have not
    I have not been involved with this group, but I have heard of it. Some people find it therapeutic to reach out to others and offer help. It may be that you might gain a support group even as you seek to support others. OR, you may be at a point in your life where you just don't have it to give right now. Either way, it is OK. The only way to find out for sure is to try it, if you feel up to it. Just don't "guilt" yourself into it!

Take care, seof

Thanks, you're right. If it
    Thanks, you're right. If it doesn't work out I can stop. I've always had a hard time saying "no".
  • DianeBC
    DianeBC Member Posts: 3,881 Member
    Options
    Sher43009 said:

Thanks, you're right. If it
    Thanks, you're right. If it doesn't work out I can stop. I've always had a hard time saying "no".

That is right..try it and if
    That is right..try it and if it doesn't suit you and you don't like it, just say no. That is one thing I have learned in my fight with bc, I learned to say NO! LOL

Good luck!
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    Options
    DianeBC said:

That is right..try it and if
    That is right..try it and if it doesn't suit you and you don't like it, just say no. That is one thing I have learned in my fight with bc, I learned to say NO! LOL

Good luck!

How awesome ... is this? It's sound like -- playing it
    forward .. which is wonderful. Hoping it works out, if it doesn't perhaps there is another position internally .. ACS is always looking for 'Spirited' Warriors, just like yourself.

Good Luck ..

Vicki Sam