implants not looking the same as real breasts

Giant Poodles
Giant Poodles Member Posts: 79
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Hey I just returned home from having implants and nipples on Wednesday. I am a little disappointed. Right now they are banaged up. But the acutal shape looks different than what I thought it was going to look like. Maybe they are still swollen, and again they are banaged. They look sort of large and flat to me. The cut my lower stomache to get skin to make the nipples, I just hope they will perk up. Anyone else have this issue? Hopefully it is too soon to tell. Any input would be great.
Thank you,
Rhonda

Comments

• shelbyhome
    shelbyhome Member Posts: 145
    Rhonda,
    I had my exchange

Rhonda,
    I had my exchange surgery on Sept.10th and I felt the same way as you and yes you are right I got the width just not the projection, I was expecting to look like the girls that have had enhancement, to be perky and look like I used to but higher and that's not how I look. They may be fake and not as great as we thought however we are alive and "the real ones tried to kill us" as the shirt says. I am adjusting and I don't wear a bra yet and you can't really tell in most shirts. I didn't have nipples done so maybe when your bandages off you will look better! Hugs:)
  • Dawne.Hope
    Dawne.Hope Member Posts: 823
    It's only been 1 day!!! :)))
    Dear Giant Poodles - Reconstruced breasts are a much different beast than augmented breasts. You have to have lots of cc's to get projection anywhere near that of a normal breast. I had a DMX in February with TE's placed and then exchanged for silicone implants at the end of July. There are a couple of threads over on breastcancer.org that I scoured for information. This is what I've learned: The first three months are an ever-changing landscape. THEY WILL CHANGE! Step away from the mirror, sister and don't obsess over them! Mine looked like pancakes and hamburgers on my chest for the first couple of weeks. There were ripples as well. I'm now about 12 weeks out from my exchange and they've dropped a little (the pec. muscle is tight and will relax over time) and 'fluffed' (which means as the pec. muscle has relaxed, I've gained some projection). My implants are only 325 cc's ... but I'm wearing 30dd bras. The implants are wider than my natural breasts and so I need a bra that encapsulates them, there is room, plenty of it, at the end of the bra b/c I don't have nips and b/c reconstructed aren't going to have the projection of natural breasts. If you think about it ... saline or silicone there isn't anything behind it to push them out ... that's why they are so wide.

Give yourself at LEAST three months before you decide if you like them or not. It takes at least that long for them to settle, relax, drop and fluff. Some women, it takes even longer.

You're only a day out! :) As the women on bco.org say, "Step away from the mirror!" :))

You may want to document your journey with pics. It really is fascinating how they change over the weeks. You've plenty of time, sister. RELAX! :)
  • Dawne.Hope

It's only been 1 day!!! :)))
    Dear Giant Poodles - Reconstruced breasts are a much different beast than augmented breasts. You have to have lots of cc's to get projection anywhere near that of a normal breast. I had a DMX in February with TE's placed and then exchanged for silicone implants at the end of July. There are a couple of threads over on breastcancer.org that I scoured for information. This is what I've learned: The first three months are an ever-changing landscape. THEY WILL CHANGE! Step away from the mirror, sister and don't obsess over them! Mine looked like pancakes and hamburgers on my chest for the first couple of weeks. There were ripples as well. I'm now about 12 weeks out from my exchange and they've dropped a little (the pec. muscle is tight and will relax over time) and 'fluffed' (which means as the pec. muscle has relaxed, I've gained some projection). My implants are only 325 cc's ... but I'm wearing 30dd bras. The implants are wider than my natural breasts and so I need a bra that encapsulates them, there is room, plenty of it, at the end of the bra b/c I don't have nips and b/c reconstructed aren't going to have the projection of natural breasts. If you think about it ... saline or silicone there isn't anything behind it to push them out ... that's why they are so wide.

Give yourself at LEAST three months before you decide if you like them or not. It takes at least that long for them to settle, relax, drop and fluff. Some women, it takes even longer.

You're only a day out! :) As the women on bco.org say, "Step away from the mirror!" :))

You may want to document your journey with pics. It really is fascinating how they change over the weeks. You've plenty of time, sister. RELAX! :)

bco
    here is one of the links on bco.org that is nothing but reconstruction. The women there know there stuff.

http://community.breastcancer.org/forum/44/topic/728266?page=593#idx_17773
  • DianeBC
    DianeBC Member Posts: 3,881 Member

Rhonda,
    I had my exchange

Rhonda,
    I had my exchange surgery on Sept.10th and I felt the same way as you and yes you are right I got the width just not the projection, I was expecting to look like the girls that have had enhancement, to be perky and look like I used to but higher and that's not how I look. They may be fake and not as great as we thought however we are alive and "the real ones tried to kill us" as the shirt says. I am adjusting and I don't wear a bra yet and you can't really tell in most shirts. I didn't have nipples done so maybe when your bandages off you will look better! Hugs:)

I had a lumpectomy, but, so
    I had a lumpectomy, but, so many here have had the reconstruction and will answer you. I wish you good luck. The main thing I would say is just give it some time. Your surgery is still very new.

Hugs, Diane
  • CypressCynthia
    CypressCynthia Member Posts: 4,014 Member
    Rhonda, you are still in the
    Rhonda, you are still in the swollen stage so give it at least 3-6 months. It is definitely too soon. I had bilateral mastectomies but years apart and had the surgery using my own tissue. My breasts are now ok (breast that had cancer looks worse than the one that didn't), but it has taken time to adjust to the fact that they are not what I was born with. I think it is very normal to have to adjust, no matter how beautiful the result.
  • pinkapples
    pinkapples Member Posts: 54 Member
    Not looking the same...
    I am a week (and a day) out of exchange surgery and feel the same way! I look like a 14 yr old chubby boy with man boobs. Adding to my frustration and daily depression are the following comments everyone seems to feel the need to share with me: "At least you are alive" and "Breasts dont make you who you are, its whats on the inside that counts." and "It doesnt matter what you loook like, we love you no matter what" Because of these comments, I have not shared these thoughts with anyone, until today.

All of these are WONDERFUL thoughts, but the reality is: for me, breast are a part of being woman and I feel sad, ugly and I hate how I look.
    I feel guilty that being grateful for surviving isnt enough and even hesitate to say all of this, but down deep in my private thoughts, I struggle with accepting my new body. I was a DD prior and now have 850cc saline implants and they are so small, but that was all my body could accomodate.
    I am happy to read that time will most likely settle this issue and thank all those who have posted comments regarding progress :)
    I have always been an overly positive person, and look forward to getting to a point where I can get through a day without crying.....
  • Stilltrying
    Stilltrying Member Posts: 10

Not looking the same...
    I am a week (and a day) out of exchange surgery and feel the same way! I look like a 14 yr old chubby boy with man boobs. Adding to my frustration and daily depression are the following comments everyone seems to feel the need to share with me: "At least you are alive" and "Breasts dont make you who you are, its whats on the inside that counts." and "It doesnt matter what you loook like, we love you no matter what" Because of these comments, I have not shared these thoughts with anyone, until today.

All of these are WONDERFUL thoughts, but the reality is: for me, breast are a part of being woman and I feel sad, ugly and I hate how I look.
    I feel guilty that being grateful for surviving isnt enough and even hesitate to say all of this, but down deep in my private thoughts, I struggle with accepting my new body. I was a DD prior and now have 850cc saline implants and they are so small, but that was all my body could accomodate.
    I am happy to read that time will most likely settle this issue and thank all those who have posted comments regarding progress :)
    I have always been an overly positive person, and look forward to getting to a point where I can get through a day without crying.....

I can appreciate everyone's
    I can appreciate everyone's thoughts and feelings on this subject. It has been 10 months since my exchange surgery. I do not like the look of the implants. They are flatter and rounder than natural breasts. The scars irritate me to no end. The scars are looking better than they ever did and I understand from other people it will still take more time to be less noticeable.

I can't say I actually feel sexy. My husband is ok with the "new" look and says the same things "I just glad you're alive", etc. which I am glad that I'm alive and things turned out ok but still hate to hear those comments from people. They just do not understand the impact or the feelings.

I am still searching for that "new" normal which seems to elude me.

Yes, your implants will look better (in about 12 to 18 months), but no they will not look "natural".
  • Chickadee1955
    Chickadee1955 Member Posts: 356 Member

I can appreciate everyone's
    I can appreciate everyone's thoughts and feelings on this subject. It has been 10 months since my exchange surgery. I do not like the look of the implants. They are flatter and rounder than natural breasts. The scars irritate me to no end. The scars are looking better than they ever did and I understand from other people it will still take more time to be less noticeable.

I can't say I actually feel sexy. My husband is ok with the "new" look and says the same things "I just glad you're alive", etc. which I am glad that I'm alive and things turned out ok but still hate to hear those comments from people. They just do not understand the impact or the feelings.

I am still searching for that "new" normal which seems to elude me.

Yes, your implants will look better (in about 12 to 18 months), but no they will not look "natural".

Well that depresses the hell
    Well that depresses the hell out of me! I just got my reconstruction surgery scheduled for 11/30th (to put in expanders) and now I'm wondering if I should just have them lop off the extra skin my general surgeon left to accommodate implants.

Is attractive, sexy, womanly, desirable, happy all a thing of the past? Why go through all this to look 'unnatural'?
  • JustRenay
    JustRenay Member Posts: 54
    I know how you feel...
    I am very happy with my implants, and that will change a bit for you over time, as they heal. I also had the nipples/tattooing done, and was disappointed. My doctor had warned me that there wasn't much tissue for the nipples (he used a fold up sort of procedure with the skin on my breast, and they pretty much totally flattened out. I loved the color of the tattooing, but my skin healed badly and it's blotchy, so I'll have to have it touched up...I'm still glad I did it...it does make them look more real. It's funny, but the thing that really bugs me most about the implants, is how hard (firm) they feel when I lay on my back. If I'm standing or on my side, they feel very natural...I had the silicone gel...but if I'm on my back they're a lot harder than I'd like. I also had problems with my scars keloiding, and am doing steroid injections to flatten/lighten them...I try to be positive and greatful that we can get as far as we can these days, with the plastic surgery...and life is good...all in all. Good luck as you heal...Renay
  • Dawne.Hope

Well that depresses the hell
    Well that depresses the hell out of me! I just got my reconstruction surgery scheduled for 11/30th (to put in expanders) and now I'm wondering if I should just have them lop off the extra skin my general surgeon left to accommodate implants.

Is attractive, sexy, womanly, desirable, happy all a thing of the past? Why go through all this to look 'unnatural'?

different
    Dear Chickadee,

Good luck on your exchange. It takes a bigger size than you may think to make them look natural. If you like the size of your TE's, generally, you need to go 50-100cc's bigger in the implant to get that same size. As we all know, the TE's are rock hard, immovable, and that's why you get more projection with the TE's.

Mine don't look 'unnatural' they just look different. I don't have nips or tats yet ... but the breast mound ... all of that is natural looking, but they just don't have the projection of normal breasts.

Seriously, don't freak out ... check out the following links. It's all about exchange. And the ladies know their stuff: If the links don't work ... it's breastcaner.org, under the discussion forum, reconstruction "Exchange City" and "Breast Implant Sizing 101".

http://community.breastcancer.org/forum/44/topic/728266?page=593#idx_17784
    http://community.breastcancer.org/forum/44/topic/746448?page=59#idx_1760
  • Chickadee1955
    Chickadee1955 Member Posts: 356 Member
    JustRenay said:

I know how you feel...
    I am very happy with my implants, and that will change a bit for you over time, as they heal. I also had the nipples/tattooing done, and was disappointed. My doctor had warned me that there wasn't much tissue for the nipples (he used a fold up sort of procedure with the skin on my breast, and they pretty much totally flattened out. I loved the color of the tattooing, but my skin healed badly and it's blotchy, so I'll have to have it touched up...I'm still glad I did it...it does make them look more real. It's funny, but the thing that really bugs me most about the implants, is how hard (firm) they feel when I lay on my back. If I'm standing or on my side, they feel very natural...I had the silicone gel...but if I'm on my back they're a lot harder than I'd like. I also had problems with my scars keloiding, and am doing steroid injections to flatten/lighten them...I try to be positive and greatful that we can get as far as we can these days, with the plastic surgery...and life is good...all in all. Good luck as you heal...Renay

You're right Dawne, I am
    You're right Dawne, I am freaking out a little. I haven't had my TEs put in yet. That's what is to happen on 11/30. I just keep thinking that the baby steps will lead to who/what I used to be. I don't want a new normal--I want normal. I'm nearly 55 years old and should not put so much stock in physicality, I should have 'evolved' beyond that, but golly, I'm not ready for this. I've done really, really well through this experience thus far; I'd hoped I would maintain. Maybe I'll be back to positive thinking tomorrow.........

I'll check out the websites, thanks!
  • Dawne.Hope
    JustRenay said:

I know how you feel...

post-exchange depression
    As I read over your responses, I'm reminded that A LOT of women after their exchange surgery experience depression. We've been tough through the diagnosis, through the treatment and we have high expectations of the reconstruction.

After the exchange, we're 'done.' It's over. And we're left to deal with all the trauma of what has preceded us. It's sooooo normal for women to fall off the cliff emotionally. When we look at our scars, we're not tough anymore; we're reminded of what we've gone through.

So, please know that post-exchange depression is not uncommon, you're not alone in your feelings. But things do get better with time. After a year, if you're still not happy, fire your PS, and go find one that will give you what you want! :)

Love you all. Hang in there!
  • Dawne.Hope

You're right Dawne, I am
    You're right Dawne, I am freaking out a little. I haven't had my TEs put in yet. That's what is to happen on 11/30. I just keep thinking that the baby steps will lead to who/what I used to be. I don't want a new normal--I want normal. I'm nearly 55 years old and should not put so much stock in physicality, I should have 'evolved' beyond that, but golly, I'm not ready for this. I've done really, really well through this experience thus far; I'd hoped I would maintain. Maybe I'll be back to positive thinking tomorrow.........

I'll check out the websites, thanks!

We've lost BODY PARTS, for
    We've lost BODY PARTS, for God's sakes! Of course it is a big deal! The way our clothes fit, the way we view ourselves, the way others view us ... there is so much going on! It's OK to crash and burn every once in a while! Breathe, girl! It's going to be alright! :)
  • Giant Poodles
    Giant Poodles Member Posts: 79

post-exchange depression
    As I read over your responses, I'm reminded that A LOT of women after their exchange surgery experience depression. We've been tough through the diagnosis, through the treatment and we have high expectations of the reconstruction.

After the exchange, we're 'done.' It's over. And we're left to deal with all the trauma of what has preceded us. It's sooooo normal for women to fall off the cliff emotionally. When we look at our scars, we're not tough anymore; we're reminded of what we've gone through.

So, please know that post-exchange depression is not uncommon, you're not alone in your feelings. But things do get better with time. After a year, if you're still not happy, fire your PS, and go find one that will give you what you want! :)

Love you all. Hang in there!

Thank you for your advise
    I think I am going to be happy with with I have, and thank God for what I have. Two ladies in my support group showed me theirs and I thought they looked great. Maybe I am comparing them to what I did have, that is the problem. Also the are taped up and swollen, so maybe they will look better when they are released. I guess I was thinking augmenation (duh?). You guys are right though, be thankful for what you have and the real ones tried to kill me. I think that is so funny. Thank you all my sisters, I love being part of this board.

I am so sore from the skin they took at my lower belly, so I am on pain meds, hope this made sense. I love you guys and appreicate all you have gone through and that you are willing to share.
    Love,
    Rhonda
  • Jean 0609
    Jean 0609 Member Posts: 2,462

Thank you for your advise
    I think I am going to be happy with with I have, and thank God for what I have. Two ladies in my support group showed me theirs and I thought they looked great. Maybe I am comparing them to what I did have, that is the problem. Also the are taped up and swollen, so maybe they will look better when they are released. I guess I was thinking augmenation (duh?). You guys are right though, be thankful for what you have and the real ones tried to kill me. I think that is so funny. Thank you all my sisters, I love being part of this board.

I am so sore from the skin they took at my lower belly, so I am on pain meds, hope this made sense. I love you guys and appreicate all you have gone through and that you are willing to share.
    Love,
    Rhonda

HI Rhonda,
    I see my plastic surgeon next week to schedule my exchange. I have gotten a lot of information from your post. Have a great weekend. Hugs, Jean