Look Good Feel Better

Rague
Rague Member Posts: 3,653 Member
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
It's been a while since I remember seeing anything about 'Look Good Feel Better' (maybe I just missed it) and as there are lot of 'newbies' here, thought I'd bring it up again.

As the name says - it's designed to help you good so you feel better. You are taught about makeup, nail/skin care and wigs in the context of going through chemo. It's throught the ACS (I went to classes at the CCI but our local ACS also has them). You will be given a weath of information and a bag full of make-up.

The first class I went to I still had my hair and only lost about 1/2 of lashes and brows on the A/C so i didn't have problems with that then. However, when i started Taxol I lost what brows and lashes hadn't already left. Had no problem doing brows as I'd already practiced the 'points' for them but with no lashes I could not get fake ones on and I could not get liner to look even slightly OK. I got gret tips for doing the liner but lashes never worked for me.

My point is just this - check out Look Good Feel Better!

Susan

Comments

• CypressCynthia
    CypressCynthia Member Posts: 4,014 Member
    I went and enjoyed it so
    I went and enjoyed it so much. Great makeup too! But the best part was being with other women going through the same thing. Thanks for posting.
  • cahjah75
    cahjah75 Member Posts: 2,631
    I went to one
    and was given so many tips, a bag of wonderful makeup and the ACS had wigs for anyone to try on and if you like one it was yours FREE! Well worth the couple of hours.
    Char
  • Rague
    Rague Member Posts: 3,653 Member
    cahjah75 said:

I went to one
    and was given so many tips, a bag of wonderful makeup and the ACS had wigs for anyone to try on and if you like one it was yours FREE! Well worth the couple of hours.
    Char

Good food too!
    The ones I went to also had good food/snackies.

You can go as often as you want but only get one bag of 'goodies'.
  • cahjah75
    cahjah75 Member Posts: 2,631
    Rague said:

Good food too!
    The ones I went to also had good food/snackies.

You can go as often as you want but only get one bag of 'goodies'.

Lucky you
    we didn't have any food!
    Char
  • Brooklynchele
    Brooklynchele Member Posts: 123
    I went too
    What a great service and how nice of the various companies to donate full versions of their products for us. There were only 7 of us at the meeting I went to but it was a great group of women. We covered wigs, scarves, and makeup. A local salon sent a rep licensed in hair and makeup. The ACS rep had baked cake for us and had put out "nibbles". Since our class took place at the local infusion center, the regular center volunteer was there offering everyone coffee, tea, soda, juice, cocoa and water. I think we all had a hard time leaving to go home because we were getting along so well.

Thanks for bringing this up on the site. I think anyone that hasn't gone should look into going.

Michele
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    cahjah75 said:

Lucky you
    we didn't have any food!
    Char

Rague .. I agree - go and you'll get something out of
    the class. Our class out here in Southern California was a bust - however, there we 2 older women - who enjoyed getting fussed over - and who also learned 'how to' draw on eyebrows .. etc.

What was sooooo funny is that our instructor (new) only had 'dark' cosemtic bags to hand out -- no other shades available -- along with 'bright purple, and Halloween Orange/Green eye shadows .. times are hard, donations down - is what we were told.

What I'm trying to spit out -- is that our 'goody bag' sucked big time - but getting to be around other local warriors - invaluable!

Go ... and enjoy!

Vicki Sam
  • pscheer
    pscheer Member Posts: 56 Member
    I went to a Look Good Feel
    I went to a Look Good Feel Better class. They taught us different ways to tie scarves, along with how to use the make up, etc. I hope this will make you smile, or even laugh... the class I went to was at MD Anderson Cancer Center. I had not been there before, because I went to the satellite clinic instead. But since the class was at the big center, i just knew there would be lots of bald people and i could go without a scarf and feel just normal. Well, it really is a big place and i was the only one without a scarf. Sometimes I think i was born with chemo brain. :-)
  • Jean T. Szabo
    Jean T. Szabo Member Posts: 193
    Look Good Feel Better
    Thank you for the info...found out there is a contact person right at the Cancer Center where I get treatment. Will find out about their workshops my next visit on Tuesday. This is going to make it a lot easier. Understand they have wigs, makeup tips, etc. at the workshops. This is very helpful.