port removal today

tommaseena
tommaseena Member Posts: 1,769
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I will be having my port removed today under general anesthesia. have to be at the hospital at 2:30.

Another chapter ending to this journey.

I have had my port since 3/2/09 so I am ready to say goodbye to this type of friend.

Margo

Comments

• smalldoggroomer
    smalldoggroomer Member Posts: 1,184
    Morning Margo,
    Wow! why did you have to have it so long? Well I am happy you are getting it out today. I will be glad when mine is gone next May. Good luck Bye Bye port!! Take care Kay
  • tommaseena

Morning Margo,
    Wow! why did you have to have it so long? Well I am happy you are getting it out today. I will be glad when mine is gone next May. Good luck Bye Bye port!! Take care Kay

Why so long?
    I finished my chemo 7/23/09 but then had Herceptin alone until 7/30/10 was thinking I would be on Herceptin until the middle of November but new oncologist told me that since I had been on Herceptin for over a year that the port could come out.

Margo
  • pattimc
    pattimc Member Posts: 431
    Good luck
    So you're being "de-ported" today,huh? I was glad to see my friend go, too. I had mine done at the hospital but only had the area numbed. I was alittle anxious about that but the Percocet I took before I went helped immensely!!

Another step in your journey over with!! Yea!!!!

Patti
  • Sher43009
    Sher43009 Member Posts: 602 Member
    pattimc said:

Good luck
    So you're being "de-ported" today,huh? I was glad to see my friend go, too. I had mine done at the hospital but only had the area numbed. I was alittle anxious about that but the Percocet I took before I went helped immensely!!

Another step in your journey over with!! Yea!!!!

Patti

Hope you're taking tomorrow
    Hope you're taking tomorrow off. It's as emotional ending treatment as starting it. Take care of yourself.

Sher
  • MyTurnNow
    MyTurnNow Member Posts: 2,686 Member
    Close the book on that chapter!
    Margo, that's great news. Like you said, another chapter ending. I hope all went well.
  • Jean 0609
    Jean 0609 Member Posts: 2,462
    Yay!!!
    That's exciting. My herceptin won't be finished until June, so I have a wait.
  • upnorthlive57
    upnorthlive57 Member Posts: 41
    let me know how it went
    I see my surgeon the 27th of this month and having the port removed is going to be on the agenda, it really isnt a big bother but yes its time for it to go. I will say that I am thankful that I had one. So let me know what and how it was removed thanks sis
  • fauxma
    fauxma Member Posts: 3,577 Member

let me know how it went
    I see my surgeon the 27th of this month and having the port removed is going to be on the agenda, it really isnt a big bother but yes its time for it to go. I will say that I am thankful that I had one. So let me know what and how it was removed thanks sis

Happy the port is coming
    Happy the port is coming out. When you can let us know how you are doing.
    Stef
  • missrenee
    missrenee Member Posts: 2,136 Member
    fauxma said:

Happy the port is coming
    Happy the port is coming out. When you can let us know how you are doing.
    Stef

Glad to hear you're saying goodbye to the port
    I had mine out 2 months ago--in my surgeon's office under local. All I felt was a little tugging and pulling. Piece of cake.

He used dissolveable sutures and the area was a little tender for a couple of days. No problems at all.

Good luck.

Hugs, Renee
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    missrenee said:

Glad to hear you're saying goodbye to the port
    I had mine out 2 months ago--in my surgeon's office under local. All I felt was a little tugging and pulling. Piece of cake.

He used dissolveable sutures and the area was a little tender for a couple of days. No problems at all.

Good luck.

Hugs, Renee

This is indeed a GREAT day, Margo ...
    Port removal is sufficient, and ends our journey with chemo therapy.

Hap Hap Happy Day

•☆.•*´¨`*••♥ Vicki Sam ♥••*´¨`*•.☆•
  • mrs gadget
    mrs gadget Member Posts: 118
    Yay
    Gosh that's gotta be a great feeling...You inspire me to know that there truly is an end to all of this!! Congratulations on your newly found freedom
  • webbwife50
    webbwife50 Member Posts: 394

Yay
    Gosh that's gotta be a great feeling...You inspire me to know that there truly is an end to all of this!! Congratulations on your newly found freedom

Yippie!!
    my port was removed when they did my tram flap last December. I remember waking up from surgery and looking down at my two lovely little boobies, minus the nips, and not port bump. I almost felt human again!! Hugs..alison
  • CypressCynthia
    CypressCynthia Member Posts: 4,014 Member
    Yippee! Another step
    Yippee! Another step towards healing and recovery. Wonderful news.
  • cahjah75
    cahjah75 Member Posts: 2,631
    Margo
    glad you're port was removed today. Hope all went well. Did you have to keep it in for a year after another mammo? I have a purple power port and just had chemo #4 on Tuesday. I haven't asked how long it will be in my chest. I had bilateral mastectomy so I'll be having an xray next May instead of mammo. Take care and know that you've moved on with this bc journey.
    {{hugs}} Char
  • Bella Luna
    Bella Luna Member Posts: 1,578 Member
    Yippee!!!
    Congrats on getting your port removed! Time to celebrate another milestone!
    BL
  • Rague
    Rague Member Posts: 3,653 Member
    cahjah75 said:

Margo
    glad you're port was removed today. Hope all went well. Did you have to keep it in for a year after another mammo? I have a purple power port and just had chemo #4 on Tuesday. I haven't asked how long it will be in my chest. I had bilateral mastectomy so I'll be having an xray next May instead of mammo. Take care and know that you've moved on with this bc journey.
    {{hugs}} Char

Talk to your Drs!
    According to what I've been told - a lot depends on the type of cancer you have. I'm IBC - my Drs want me to keep it - I'm fine with that! My last Chemo was Jan. 28, '10. I didn't need Herceptin so every 4 weeks my port is flushed. Yeah I do have to run by the clinic every 4 weeks but OH WELL. Being IBC the chance that I will ever 'be done' with cancer is slim to none - I like the idea of keeping my port where it is 'just in case'.

Do I believe that keeping your port is right for everyone - definately NOT - but there are very real/legitimate reason for them to remain sometimes. In my case, rather or not my port is 'sitting there' or not has nothing to do with how I 'react' to being IBC other than it's a little bit of comfort knowing it's there. There are so many different types of breast cancer.

Just me and how I feel.

Susan
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member

Yippee!!!
    Congrats on getting your port removed! Time to celebrate another milestone!
    BL

congrats margo!!!!

congrats margo!!!!
  • tommaseena
    carkris said:

congrats margo!!!!

congrats margo!!!!

It is gone
    I had to be at the hospital for 2:30pm and was told that my surgery would be at 4pm well I didn't go in until 5:30pm never went to recovery since I woke up in the OR and then they sent me home at 6:45pm.

A little sore last night and this morning. Taking today off and resting and icing.

I had a double mastectomy with reconstruction so mammogram is not needed again for me.

I was told in August that my treatments of Herceptin were completed and that I needed to think about having the port out so yesterday was the day.

It does depend on what type of BC you have and how long your Dr wants to leave the port in.

Hugs,
    Margo
  • BlownAway60
    BlownAway60 Member Posts: 851

It is gone
    I had to be at the hospital for 2:30pm and was told that my surgery would be at 4pm well I didn't go in until 5:30pm never went to recovery since I woke up in the OR and then they sent me home at 6:45pm.

A little sore last night and this morning. Taking today off and resting and icing.

I had a double mastectomy with reconstruction so mammogram is not needed again for me.

I was told in August that my treatments of Herceptin were completed and that I needed to think about having the port out so yesterday was the day.

It does depend on what type of BC you have and how long your Dr wants to leave the port in.

Hugs,
    Margo

WOW.
    What a great feeling

WOW.

What a great feeling for it to finally be gone. I get mine out in Dec. Finish Herceptin in Nov. Getting my port out will be a Christmas present to myself.

Hugs

Donna
  • Christmas Girl
    Christmas Girl Member Posts: 3,682 Member

It is gone

Hugs,
    Margo

No more port!
    Congratulations, friend! :-)

Kindest regards, Susan