Feeling decent today

Options
GraceLibby
GraceLibby Member Posts: 88
edited March 2014 in Head and Neck Cancer #1
18 rads & 2 Cisplatin under the belt as of today. I finally gave in and used my PEG for the first time today and what a difference it makes! I'm not giving up the ghost on swallowing, so no worries on that aspect. Docs also switched my pain meds from oxy to the Fentynol patch - no more ups and downs with dosing schedules and associated pain *phew*. Also got diagnosed for possible thrush, so I'm on meds for that as well.

I can totally understand why so many people go au natural after this treatment. So many pokes, pills, PEGS & potions, oh my! - a simpler lifestyle has a definite appeal at the moment.

Just wanted to check in and say hello!

Comments

• sweetblood22
    sweetblood22 Member Posts: 3,228
    Options
    18 down and feeling decent gets the thumbs up.
    Glad you are feeling good. I am hoping that your side effects stay managable. The patch will definitely keep you on a more even keel. Easier than swallowing pills that's for sure. Glad you have a peg in place. Hang in there!

Sweet
  • D Lewis
    D Lewis Member Posts: 1,581 Member
    Options
    Welcome, GraceLibby
    Sounds like you have a great medical team and you are right on track for a successful finish. Happy to hear that your doctors are getting your pain under control. Now you can concentrate on getting through the remainder of the treatments. Gotta love that Cisplatin. One of the other posters here described it as "the Raging Bull" of the cancer treatment world. I was really pleased to turn that raging bull loose on my SCC.

I hear ya on the whole "au natural" approach. I do admit, though, that I am enjoying a Corona beer as I type. Four months out from end of treatment and it tastes really really good.

Feel free to ask any questions, there's bound to be someone here with the answer.

Your quilt is lovely.

Deb
  • luv4lacrosse
    luv4lacrosse Member Posts: 1,410 Member
    Options
    CHERISH YOUR GOOD DAYS
    We sound a little simillar with our treatments.

I have 5 more Rads. amd 1 Cisplatin left. I should ring out on the 20th. I too chose no PEG tube until I finally has to have one. I was admitted into the hospital last Tuesday to have one inserted. So I have eliminated the what ifs and fears of not being able to take in what I need orally, but still drink some protien water, Gatorade etc to keep the swallowing muscles working good. I am experiencing the very worst of my side effects now and expect for them to contiue multiple weeks from my post treatment date.

Hang tough and know you are in the home stretch to beating this.

Mike
  • kimmygarland
    kimmygarland Member Posts: 312
    Options

CHERISH YOUR GOOD DAYS
    We sound a little simillar with our treatments.

I have 5 more Rads. amd 1 Cisplatin left. I should ring out on the 20th. I too chose no PEG tube until I finally has to have one. I was admitted into the hospital last Tuesday to have one inserted. So I have eliminated the what ifs and fears of not being able to take in what I need orally, but still drink some protien water, Gatorade etc to keep the swallowing muscles working good. I am experiencing the very worst of my side effects now and expect for them to contiue multiple weeks from my post treatment date.

Hang tough and know you are in the home stretch to beating this.

Mike

Agree with Mike
    Cherish the good days, and remember them on the bad.

My husband had the pain patches during the worst of his treatment and they were like a miracle for him. Hope you have the same luck.

Keep pushing through... the end of treatment is in sight.
  • Glenna M
    Glenna M Member Posts: 1,576
    Options
    Feeling decent
    Hopefully the patch will make the rest of your treatments tolerable. Can't imagine going through all of this and having constant pain.

Enjoy your decent days, you will soon be having more good than bad.

Stay well and stay strong,
    Glenna
  • Noellesmom
    Noellesmom Member Posts: 1,859 Member
    Options
    Sounds great
    My husband used the Fentanyl patches, also, with great success.

Keep moving forward - I am proud for you!

Hugs!