Dissolveable stitches?

jnl
jnl Member Posts: 3,869 Member
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
A friend of mine that just recently had a lumpectomy had dissolveable stitches, but, she says there are still 2 hanging out. I think it's been about a month or so since her surgery. Has anyone had this happen, and if you did, what did you do? I told her to call her plastic surgeon and I was sure he could cut them off or maybe there is something he can put on them to dissolve them? Thanks!

Leeza

Comments

• GregStahl
    GregStahl Member Posts: 188
    Wife had
    one sticking out and just pulled it out, but her surgery had been months before. Call the Dr office and they will tell you what to do
  • Jean 0609
    Jean 0609 Member Posts: 2,462
    Hi Leeza
    Some of mine stuck around a lot longer than others. They eventually will go away. Hugs, Jean
  • Ritzy
    Ritzy Member Posts: 4,381 Member
    Jean 0609 said:

Hi Leeza
    Some of mine stuck around a lot longer than others. They eventually will go away. Hugs, Jean

Hey Leeza! I think they do
    Hey Leeza! I think they do eventually go away, but, her plastic surgeon can also cut them off. He just pulls them out and snips them off. It is painless, and, they are gone!

Sue :)
  • Sher43009
    Sher43009 Member Posts: 602 Member
    Ritzy said:

Hey Leeza! I think they do
    Hey Leeza! I think they do eventually go away, but, her plastic surgeon can also cut them off. He just pulls them out and snips them off. It is painless, and, they are gone!

Sue :)

I had that happen with my
    I had that happen with my port. The chemo nurse pulled it out and told me to put neosporin on it.
  • winsomebulldog
    winsomebulldog Member Posts: 117 Member
    Same thing happened to me
    I had 2 knots left over after my port placement. My surgeon checked on them, but at the time they were still holding on so she left them alone. A couple weeks ago my chemo nurse decided to get rid of them because she was worried about them keeping the incision open and a possible place for infection to set in. So she pulled the knots up and snipped them off and the scar is now fully closed.

Just as an FYI, my surgeon doesn't like antibiotic ointments like Neosporin. Not sure why, but she advises against using it. I never put anything on mine and both spots healed up just fine.
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member

Same thing happened to me
    I had 2 knots left over after my port placement. My surgeon checked on them, but at the time they were still holding on so she left them alone. A couple weeks ago my chemo nurse decided to get rid of them because she was worried about them keeping the incision open and a possible place for infection to set in. So she pulled the knots up and snipped them off and the scar is now fully closed.

Just as an FYI, my surgeon doesn't like antibiotic ointments like Neosporin. Not sure why, but she advises against using it. I never put anything on mine and both spots healed up just fine.

I looked this up for someone
    I looked this up for someone else, and they dissolve better when in contact with your bodily fluids/tissues, so sticking out ones dont dissolve as quickly. Some people wrote in it took weeks. I would call my doc for sure just to be careful and see what they want you to do, I dont think its anything to worry about.
  • sal314
    sal314 Member Posts: 599 Member
    I Played Doctor..
    and snipped them off myself. Probably not a good idea, but they kept poking me and buggin' the heck out of me. And...I did consult with my mom who's a nurse, before I did it! LOL. Hey, I saved a little money on the doctor's visit! LOL.

Sally