Book of the month

CypressCynthia
CypressCynthia Member Posts: 4,014 Member
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Just finished Room by Emma Donoghue. It was awesome. The narrator of the entire book was a 5 year old boy who has never been out of a room that he and his mom are being kept prisoner in by a psycho. It is so amazingly written. I couldn't put it down--it was like go away world, I have to finish this. Has anyone else read it?

Comments

• VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    No .. but sounds like something I would certainly enjoy
    spending time reading ...

Thank you for the heads up! .. Going out this week to pick up several books, adding this one to my list.

♕ ♕ Vicki Sam ♕ ♕
  • PinkWillow
    PinkWillow Member Posts: 11
    I just started this book and
    I just started this book and am loving it! What a great writer.
  • CypressCynthia
    CypressCynthia Member Posts: 4,014 Member

I just started this book and
    I just started this book and am loving it! What a great writer.

Isn't it amazing how she
    Isn't it amazing how she picks up the language, syntax, thought process of a 5 year old and still narrates a story that you can't put down?

I also read Slammerkin some time ago; a completely different book--fictional account of an 18th century prostitute. Depressing as all hell but also a good read.

But Room was just an awesome book and I hear it is nominated for the Man Booker Prize. I haven't read the other books nominated, but hers is truly a gem.
  • chenheart
    chenheart Member Posts: 5,159
    Thanks sooo much for
    Thanks sooo much for recommending this! I go to my book group tomorrow ( mysteries only) and we are always looking for the next book! Sounds like we may have found it!!

Hugs,
    Chen♥