Markers, etc.--good news, bad news

CypressCynthia
CypressCynthia Member Posts: 4,014 Member
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
My Ca 27.29 is way down to 25.4 down from 35.6 in June and way down from a high in 90's in 2009. Yay, yay, yay!

My CEA is up a little ;-( now 5.6 up slightly from 5.1 in June. Not sure if that is important.

My kidney functioning is also down :-(. GFR is now 59, down from ~100 at start of zometa in 4/09.

I see my onc on Friday morning and I have a list of questions.

Oh, here is some other good news. I have tried and tried to get involved with a trial, but get bogged down in the ACS and NCI sites and have never been successful.

I heard about armyofwomen.org on NPR--supposedly streamlining the info for us and making it much easier. I registered on their site and BINGO am involved in a trial for women who were originally diagnosed before 40. They send you a sample kit and you have blood drawn. They are looking for genetic indicators for cancer in younger women (even if you tested negative for BrCa--which me and sisters did). I am excited to be doing something that might be useful to someone else. My sisters are also going to send in their blood as they want their blood whether they had cancer or not (2 have and 1 is cancer free). So yay!

Comments

• chenheart
    chenheart Member Posts: 5,159
    It certainly seems that your
    It certainly seems that your good news far far outweighs your badd-ish news! I am thrilled that you found a trial to be a part of~ I know you will keep us in the loop about that!
    Hugs,
    Chen
  • CypressCynthia
    chenheart said:

It certainly seems that your
    It certainly seems that your good news far far outweighs your badd-ish news! I am thrilled that you found a trial to be a part of~ I know you will keep us in the loop about that!
    Hugs,
    Chen

Thanks Chen and hugs to you
    Thanks Chen and hugs to you too! I think the onc will be ok with it all. At some point, I may have to take a holiday from the zometa, but I hope not.

And you are so right, the trial is the thing that has me soaring like a kite today. If I can be a tiny, tiny, eeny beeny, little piece in the puzzle to help to find a cure or to identify a treatment--anything--I will be soooooo happy!
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member

Thanks Chen and hugs to you
    Thanks Chen and hugs to you too! I think the onc will be ok with it all. At some point, I may have to take a holiday from the zometa, but I hope not.

And you are so right, the trial is the thing that has me soaring like a kite today. If I can be a tiny, tiny, eeny beeny, little piece in the puzzle to help to find a cure or to identify a treatment--anything--I will be soooooo happy!

C.C. .. Good news indeed. And the trial .. how amazing is
    that !!! You go Warrior PRINCESS ...

Hap Hap Happy for you .. C.C.

Vicki Sam ♕ ♕ .. see my 2 crowns? 1 is for you -
  • MyTurnNow
    MyTurnNow Member Posts: 2,686 Member
    Cynthia, love your good
    Cynthia, love your good news!! Good luck with your appointment on Friday.

I also want to add that everyone should join the Army of Women, or at least consider it. For those of you that are not familiar with this organization, this is a foundation between Dr. Susan Love and Avon. Their goal is to sign up 1,000,0000 women. I joined last year and was involved in one of their studies dealing with the after effects of treatment. I believe that Traci is also in this study. I receive emails frequently where they are looking for specific women. I believe that any one of us would be proud to be a part of any positive changes that can be made in this battle of the beast. Check it out ladies.
  • CypressCynthia
    MyTurnNow said:

Cynthia, love your good
    Cynthia, love your good news!! Good luck with your appointment on Friday.

I also want to add that everyone should join the Army of Women, or at least consider it. For those of you that are not familiar with this organization, this is a foundation between Dr. Susan Love and Avon. Their goal is to sign up 1,000,0000 women. I joined last year and was involved in one of their studies dealing with the after effects of treatment. I believe that Traci is also in this study. I receive emails frequently where they are looking for specific women. I believe that any one of us would be proud to be a part of any positive changes that can be made in this battle of the beast. Check it out ladies.

The super thing about the
    The super thing about the site is that it was easy enough for me to navigate ;-) I had been trying and trying on all of the other sites and there was just too much paperwork and the studies were hard to understand. This was just so simple. Register and look over about 6 studies written in clear English and pick one. So cool!
  • Jean 0609
    Jean 0609 Member Posts: 2,462
    Great new CypressCynthia!
    Thanks for sharing with us. Let us know how you make out at the oncologist. YAY!!!!!!
  • fauxma
    fauxma Member Posts: 3,577 Member
    Cynthia,
    Good for the

Cynthia,
    Good for the markers. Hooray!!! And glad you found a trial. I am in one and it does give me a good feeling that I am doing something positive in this fight. I was said that I don't get to run on a hamster wheel or go through mazes but that okay I'll do what I can this way. LOL
    I have a GFR that is low 40 and they watch it closely. Hope yours stay where they are.
    Again, congrats on good markers.
    Stef
  • CypressCynthia
    fauxma said:

Cynthia,
    Good for the

Cynthia,
    Good for the markers. Hooray!!! And glad you found a trial. I am in one and it does give me a good feeling that I am doing something positive in this fight. I was said that I don't get to run on a hamster wheel or go through mazes but that okay I'll do what I can this way. LOL
    I have a GFR that is low 40 and they watch it closely. Hope yours stay where they are.
    Again, congrats on good markers.
    Stef

Thanks Stef. Just
    Thanks Stef. Just coincidentally got an email from my physician sister (psychiatrist) and she said she thought my GFR was fine and thought that it was all good news. Haven't heard it officially from my doc yet though, but I am cautiously happy ;-)
  • cahjah75
    cahjah75 Member Posts: 2,631
    Cynthia
    so glad you were finally able to get involved in a trial. I hope it does help someone in the future. I tested negative for the BRCA 1 & 2 also. But I was told by the counselor that there's probably a gene that hasn't been detected yet that may match my data. Like you 2 of my sisters are bc survivors and 1 is cancer free so far.

As for your markers, I don't really know enough to know what's good or bad but I hope after talking to your oncologist that he has answers that will be positive. You were cancer free for so many years and I know you've been on the Zometa since last year. I met someone while getting chemo who has been on Zometa since 2006. She was dx in 2003 with cancer and it metastized to her bones in 2006. She seems to be doing ok and her dr gave her no date in the future for the Zometa to end.

Wishing you well, {{hugs}} Char
  • fauxma
    fauxma Member Posts: 3,577 Member

Thanks Stef. Just
    Thanks Stef. Just coincidentally got an email from my physician sister (psychiatrist) and she said she thought my GFR was fine and thought that it was all good news. Haven't heard it officially from my doc yet though, but I am cautiously happy ;-)

Cautiously happy is good and
    Cautiously happy is good and when your doctor gives you his blessing it will be officially happy. I will give you my congrats now and again later.
    Stef