Oncotype Test

Jean T. Szabo
Jean T. Szabo Member Posts: 193
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
My oncotype Test results came back with a "30" which is considered "intermediate risk". Has anyone else on the board had this result? Have an appointment with Onc. to discuss treatment. Does this necessarily mean Chemo?

Comments

• MyTurnNow
    MyTurnNow Member Posts: 2,686 Member
    Jean, I think this will
    Jean, I think this will depend on your onc. My onc said that she definately recommends chemo for anyone that scores in the "high" risk area but stated that there are not enough studies on the necessity for chemo if the risk is in the intermediate range. She indicated that there are clinical trials going on right now on individuals that scored in the intermediate range. I know this isn't a definitive answer to your question and I also know that all of our oncs can differ greatly on recommendations. Good luck to you. If you do have chemo in your future, please know that it is very do-able nowadays.
  • BunnyJane
    BunnyJane Member Posts: 213
    I scored 29 and
    chemo was recommended. Best of luck!

jane
  • Snowkitty
    Snowkitty Member Posts: 295
    I scored a 22 and chemo was
    I scored a 22 and chemo was recommended by both Onc & Rad Onc. Both said to give it all you got.

Cindy
  • fauxma
    fauxma Member Posts: 3,577 Member
    MyTurnNow said:

Jean, I think this will
    Jean, I think this will depend on your onc. My onc said that she definately recommends chemo for anyone that scores in the "high" risk area but stated that there are not enough studies on the necessity for chemo if the risk is in the intermediate range. She indicated that there are clinical trials going on right now on individuals that scored in the intermediate range. I know this isn't a definitive answer to your question and I also know that all of our oncs can differ greatly on recommendations. Good luck to you. If you do have chemo in your future, please know that it is very do-able nowadays.

Jean,
    I think, but am not

Jean,
    I think, but am not positive, that a score of 30 will probably result in a recommendation for chemo. But again this is a decision that can only be made by you and your oncologist.
    My TurnNow, I am in the clinical trial you mentioned. I did the onco test and am in the intermediate range. That group is randomized for chemo and no chemo. I am in the no chemo group. We will be followed for years (20 I think). This will give them a better view whether woman with these numbers will or will not benefit from chemo. I would image that even in 5 years they will start to see patterns and treatments recommendations will be revised. I went into this trial because I wanted to do something to help in the treatment of breast cancer. If I had not, I would have had to decide chemo or no chemo. I knew that with my number it is a bit of a guess. I think age and family status can play a big part in our decision to do the chemo when the number is mid range. Treatment shouldn't have to be a crap shoot so I decided that I would do the test. If my number was low, decision made no chemo, high, decision made chemo and in the middle (which is where I was) I would let them decide and be a part of future treatment decisions. I would have been fine if I had been told I was in the chemo group and I am okay with being in the no chemo group and I was also feel to drop the study and make my own decision. I figure that if it returns I will fight again and throw everything including the kitchen sink at it then. I really feel like I am doing something positive to help. Much of what we decide for our treatment is based on our ages, family status, fears, hopes, recommendations and so much more. There are really no wrong decisions here, just different ones for each of us.
    Jean, I will keep you in my prayers and good thoughts.
    Stef
  • MyTurnNow
    MyTurnNow Member Posts: 2,686 Member
    fauxma said:

Jean,
    I think, but am not

Jean,
    I think, but am not positive, that a score of 30 will probably result in a recommendation for chemo. But again this is a decision that can only be made by you and your oncologist.
    My TurnNow, I am in the clinical trial you mentioned. I did the onco test and am in the intermediate range. That group is randomized for chemo and no chemo. I am in the no chemo group. We will be followed for years (20 I think). This will give them a better view whether woman with these numbers will or will not benefit from chemo. I would image that even in 5 years they will start to see patterns and treatments recommendations will be revised. I went into this trial because I wanted to do something to help in the treatment of breast cancer. If I had not, I would have had to decide chemo or no chemo. I knew that with my number it is a bit of a guess. I think age and family status can play a big part in our decision to do the chemo when the number is mid range. Treatment shouldn't have to be a crap shoot so I decided that I would do the test. If my number was low, decision made no chemo, high, decision made chemo and in the middle (which is where I was) I would let them decide and be a part of future treatment decisions. I would have been fine if I had been told I was in the chemo group and I am okay with being in the no chemo group and I was also feel to drop the study and make my own decision. I figure that if it returns I will fight again and throw everything including the kitchen sink at it then. I really feel like I am doing something positive to help. Much of what we decide for our treatment is based on our ages, family status, fears, hopes, recommendations and so much more. There are really no wrong decisions here, just different ones for each of us.
    Jean, I will keep you in my prayers and good thoughts.
    Stef

Stef, I think that is
    Stef, I think that is wonderful that you are in the clinical trial and I want to personally thank you! This may just help some other person down the road in making their decision. It is women, such as yourself, that have paved the road before those being diagnosed today and in the future and for that I am grateful. Thanks, again!!
  • teresa41
    teresa41 Member Posts: 471
    Snowkitty said:

I scored a 22 and chemo was
    I scored a 22 and chemo was recommended by both Onc & Rad Onc. Both said to give it all you got.

Cindy

mine was 17
    mine was 17 and i had chemo.

wishing you the best

teresa
  • GayleMc
    GayleMc Member Posts: 311 Member
    teresa41 said:

mine was 17
    mine was 17 and i had chemo.

wishing you the best

teresa

My score was 22 and chemo
    My score was 22 and chemo was recommended. I was not at all happy about it, but, if you do need it, know that it is doable and don't forget to use this board for any questions. That is what got me through. I sometimes felt my questions were silly, but was never made to feel that way by these great people. Best Wishes.
  • Double Whammy
    Double Whammy Member Posts: 2,832 Member
    GayleMc said:

My score was 22 and chemo
    My score was 22 and chemo was recommended. I was not at all happy about it, but, if you do need it, know that it is doable and don't forget to use this board for any questions. That is what got me through. I sometimes felt my questions were silly, but was never made to feel that way by these great people. Best Wishes.

My score was 31
    which is the first number in the high risk of recurrence group and, of course, chemo was recommended and I did it. Chemo reduces the rate of recurrence by 30-40%. My % risk of recurrence over a 10-year period without chemo was 21%. The higher the score, the higher the percentage and that's why for a really low score, reducing the rate of recurrence by 30-40% is not significant and chemo is not recommended. Chemo reduced my rate of recurrence from 21% to 12-15%. If you have your oncotype results (be sure and get a copy if you don't have it), it will tell you the % of rate of recurrence applicable to your score. I would imagine it's in the same neighborhood of mine because we're only one number apart, but be sure to ask your oncologist about this number and what having chemo will reduce it to.

Chemo is definitely doable and we're all here to support you through it should you need it. Like Stef said, we all make our decisions based on a number of factors, and the final decision will be yours.

Suzanne
  • roseyposey333
    roseyposey333 Member Posts: 68
    I HAD 30 AND NO CHEMO
    My oncologist did my onco test over since I had my surgery in Queens before I moved to Rochester and she said the numbers came out the same but because of my type of cancer(invasive secretory)her team of doctors decided not to do CHEMO.

I have a rare type of cancer in which chemo would not be needed due to the studies about my cancer type and results of other women with my cancer.

Good luck to you and even if it means Chemo, I would go along with whatever the doctors recommend. I was totally prepared for chemo when i found out about my score and I accepted that that would happen but I lucked out, at least I hope so since I am not sure having a rare cancer is a good thing or a bad thing.

R
  • j2twin
    j2twin Member Posts: 28
    My first score was 23 and if
    My first score was 23 and if I did armidex it dropped it to 15. Was decided not to do chemo because my onc said it would only drop my numbers by 1-3% and it was my choice. Decided if it comes back I'll do chemo. good luck
  • Sunrae
    Sunrae Member Posts: 808
    j2twin said:

My first score was 23 and if
    My first score was 23 and if I did armidex it dropped it to 15. Was decided not to do chemo because my onc said it would only drop my numbers by 1-3% and it was my choice. Decided if it comes back I'll do chemo. good luck

My score was 18 and my onc
    My score was 18 and my onc said I wouldn't need chemo. When I had my masectomy i had 17 lymph nodes removed, 14 had cancer. So it was decided that I needed chemo after all. There may be many reasons why your onc will decide what your treatment should be. Wish no one has to do chemo but if it gives you a better chance to beat bc, go for it. Wishing the best for you.