My alien is dead....

Options
Hissy_Fitz
Hissy_Fitz Member Posts: 1,834
edited March 2014 in Ovarian Cancer #1
Saw the nice young surgeon this PM and he insisted on taking my port out, then and there, in his "clinic". I got injections of local anesthetic (OUCH!) and the incision, when he made it, did not hurt, but those shots....holy Mother of God. They hurt like hell.

I go back in a couple of weeks to let him look at the wound and we will schedule the surgery to place a new port....in the hospital, thank goodness.

I have to take 10 days of antibiotics and I got some great pain pills, so it's all good.

Celebrating my wedding anniversary today. Not much celebration to it, but it beats last year's - in the hospital and throwing up non-stop.

The surgeon said I had to choose, pain pills or liquor tonight, but not both. What a fun-sucker!

Carlene

Comments

• Mwee
    Mwee Member Posts: 1,338
    Options
    dead alien
    Whew...glad that part is over for you. I hope your wound heals quickly and I'd pick the painkiller, but that's just me. It was my wedding anniversary yesterday/enjoy being alien free.
    (((HUGS))) Maria
  • Lisa13Q
    Lisa13Q Member Posts: 677
    Options
    drugs or alcohol?
    Damn, how do you make that choice? I have never had a doctor give me that choice...ever....Happy anniversary!
  • kayandok
    kayandok Member Posts: 1,202 Member
    Options
    Carlene,
    so happy for you that thing is out!!! Mine has been in there 3 years, popping out when I'm skinny (looks like a tiny door knob) and becoming invisible when I gain weight. Since your episode, I have been feeling around, but it seems to be anchored in pretty good.

Just wondering how long we can keep these things? I know, origianlly, I thought I would take it out after I went into remission, a few years ago.

Sooooo, which one did you choose?!

k❥
  • kikz
    kikz Member Posts: 1,345 Member
    Options
    kayandok said:

Carlene,
    so happy for you that thing is out!!! Mine has been in there 3 years, popping out when I'm skinny (looks like a tiny door knob) and becoming invisible when I gain weight. Since your episode, I have been feeling around, but it seems to be anchored in pretty good.

Just wondering how long we can keep these things? I know, origianlly, I thought I would take it out after I went into remission, a few years ago.

k❥

Oh great
    Just when I am feeling good. I have to go in on 11/04 to have my port removed. I hadn't thought about it hurting. There is no end to this fun.

Karen
  • Hissy_Fitz
    Options
    kayandok said:

Carlene,

k❥

I am going to get a new
    I am going to get a new Power Port, on the left side of my chest (old one was on the right). The surgeon told me it was my call. My GYN/Onc told me it was my call. But as my surgeon pointed out, 4 more Taxol infusions will almost certainly destroy my veins, and once they are trashed, you will forever be in a pickle if you need an IV for any reason.
  • Hissy_Fitz
    Options
    kikz said:

Oh great
    Just when I am feeling good. I have to go in on 11/04 to have my port removed. I hadn't thought about it hurting. There is no end to this fun.

Karen

Karen....they will most
    Karen....they will most likely take yours out as a planned procedure - under some light anesthetic (like they use for colonoscopies). You won't feel a thing. Although it is a bit sore this evening.

Carlene
  • kikiz
    kikiz Member Posts: 94
    Options

I am going to get a new
    I am going to get a new Power Port, on the left side of my chest (old one was on the right). The surgeon told me it was my call. My GYN/Onc told me it was my call. But as my surgeon pointed out, 4 more Taxol infusions will almost certainly destroy my veins, and once they are trashed, you will forever be in a pickle if you need an IV for any reason.

Carlene,
    I always enjoy your

Carlene,
    I always enjoy your posts and wanted to let you know I learn alot from yours. When I was dx, they did not offer me a port. Later on once I was NED and started reading on here, I wondered why I was never given a Port. A nurse let it slip to me that when they think a patient is terminal like my original dx and don't have good insurance, "Why waste the time and money." True or not, me and my kids had a great laugh since 18 months later, I am still here.
  • vj1
    vj1 Member Posts: 150
    Options
    kikiz said:

Carlene,
    I always enjoy your

Carlene,
    I always enjoy your posts and wanted to let you know I learn alot from yours. When I was dx, they did not offer me a port. Later on once I was NED and started reading on here, I wondered why I was never given a Port. A nurse let it slip to me that when they think a patient is terminal like my original dx and don't have good insurance, "Why waste the time and money." True or not, me and my kids had a great laugh since 18 months later, I am still here.

Happy Anniversary
    What a choice! Glad no complications. You now have all of us going "port crazy" Do they leave these in forever? I'm getting used to the bump, part of my anatomy.

Verna
  • Hissy_Fitz
    Options
    vj1 said:

Happy Anniversary
    What a choice! Glad no complications. You now have all of us going "port crazy" Do they leave these in forever? I'm getting used to the bump, part of my anatomy.

Verna

Sharon has had hers for
    Sharon has had hers for three years. I know a long-term survivor in "real life" (11 years) and I honestly never thought to ask if she has a port, but I will, the next chance I get.