Mastectomy scars

hoop77
hoop77 Member Posts: 84
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Anybody know how long these nasty scars remain nasty looking? Also, when does the tenderness, creepy feeling get better? I am 6 weeks out of exchange surgery where they opened up my mastectomy scars again and I'm just wondering if this feeling will ever go away...Grrrrrr

Comments

• Rague
    Rague Member Posts: 3,653 Member
    For me, the surgical scars
    For me, the surgical scars are not nasty looking at all - just nice a straight line. Never were. I was so surprised when surgeon took the pressure bandage off 1 week post at how 'nice' it looked. The rad burn scars are nasty though and not likely to get any better.

The sensations, for me are a bit different every day in the areas that still have feeling in them. Sometimes a slight burning, slight itching or other 'feelings' I can't really explain how they feel. Oct 21st will be a year for me since surgery.

That's just me.

Susan
  • seof
    seof Member Posts: 819 Member
    it fades with time
    I am over a year post final surgery for reconstruction. I have found that surgical scars fade in appearance and sensations over time. The numbness in the surrounding area is persistent, but the itchiness, tingliness, and odd other feelings become less intense and less frequent over time. The scars gradually become smoother and lighter in color over time. Do your best to ignore it and you will find that you notice small "leaps and bounds" of improvement week by week and month by month.

Take care, seof
  • hoop77
    hoop77 Member Posts: 84
    seof said:

it fades with time
    I am over a year post final surgery for reconstruction. I have found that surgical scars fade in appearance and sensations over time. The numbness in the surrounding area is persistent, but the itchiness, tingliness, and odd other feelings become less intense and less frequent over time. The scars gradually become smoother and lighter in color over time. Do your best to ignore it and you will find that you notice small "leaps and bounds" of improvement week by week and month by month.

Take care, seof

Thanks so much! Your post
    Thanks so much! Your post really gives me hope. Bless you! I will try to ignore, but the tingling drives me nuts!!!!