Medical MJ

webbwife50
webbwife50 Member Posts: 394
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I have some question about this subject, I would like to ask my sisters in pink, my fellow warriors. But I am not sure if it is appropriate here? God, I hate having to even ask that!
Love you all...Alison I am very nervous as I point my mouse and hit...submit

Comments

• Marcia527
    Marcia527 Member Posts: 2,729
    I didn't use it. Not even
    I didn't use it. Not even sure how to get it as it is illegal where I went through treatment. We've talked about it before so don't be nervous.
  • Ritzy
    Ritzy Member Posts: 4,381 Member
    Marcia527 said:

I didn't use it. Not even sure how to get it as it is illegal where I went through treatment. We've talked about it before so don't be nervous.

It is illegal in my state,
    It is illegal in my state, but, I know in others, it is legal for medical purposes, but, still against the Federal laws, making it still illegal. It is confusing to me is all I know. Sorry I don't know more about it for you.

Sue :)
  • webbwife50
    Marcia527 said:

thanks
    I live in washington state where it is legal with a "prescription", right now I'm taking prescription pain meds. regularly for cervical stenosis,(I never knew I had a neck problem, till I started to get "better" from cancer)lol, the pain is awefull! My onc thought it was cancer mets, when she first saw it on mri scan in July. She ordered petct which showed no uptake and sent me on to her prefered orthoedic surg., very reputable, and he says it non operable (not that I want another surgery, thank you very much!), said to do some pt, and if that didn't work we'd consider and injection,a block type, I believe. Well, I'v done some PT, quite a bit, in fact. It did help some, but 2Xweek=$200.00month.
    Frankly, I'd like to get an MJ prescription, and see if it helps. I don't want any more procedures right now and can't afford any (although I'd like to get nipples someday). But I'm not sure if I should talk to my onc., my GP, can they do the paperwork? Here, in WA, they advertise clinics, do you have to go through them??????
    I guess I'm looking for an "advocate in the know"!! A hippie, or a lawyer maybe?
    Thanks all, I love this board!!!

Annymous LOL
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member

thanks
    I live in washington state where it is legal with a "prescription", right now I'm taking prescription pain meds. regularly for cervical stenosis,(I never knew I had a neck problem, till I started to get "better" from cancer)lol, the pain is awefull! My onc thought it was cancer mets, when she first saw it on mri scan in July. She ordered petct which showed no uptake and sent me on to her prefered orthoedic surg., very reputable, and he says it non operable (not that I want another surgery, thank you very much!), said to do some pt, and if that didn't work we'd consider and injection,a block type, I believe. Well, I'v done some PT, quite a bit, in fact. It did help some, but 2Xweek=$200.00month.
    Frankly, I'd like to get an MJ prescription, and see if it helps. I don't want any more procedures right now and can't afford any (although I'd like to get nipples someday). But I'm not sure if I should talk to my onc., my GP, can they do the paperwork? Here, in WA, they advertise clinics, do you have to go through them??????
    I guess I'm looking for an "advocate in the know"!! A hippie, or a lawyer maybe?
    Thanks all, I love this board!!!

Annymous LOL

I didnt know what it was at
    I didnt know what it was at first, so my answer is no I havent tried it. melissa Etheridge was interviewed and said she used it during chemo. I hope someone with some experience can answer you.
  • chenheart
    chenheart Member Posts: 5,159
    It is somewhat legal here in
    It is somewhat legal here in California, and we are about to vote on it (again) in November, but of course it isn't federally legal, so I don't know that to think/say.
    I am from the hippie child era~a teenager in the 60's, but I was never interested nor a participant in the "drug culture" even though back then, and especially in Europe, where I was living, it wasn't illegal. It just never called my name...
    Now, with cancer, I know it is often used for its various pain relieving properties. I am not completely insolated or isolated, and can indeed recognize the tell-tale aroma of pot. I have had opportunity to use it while going through chemo...but guess what? I am allergic to even the smell of it! So, it has NO medicinal properties to me! LOL I get physically ill if I even smell it, and I am not willing to ingest it in cookies or brownies, even though I have heard ( and do believe) that when it is an added ingredient, it changes the chemical component I may be allergic to. I am just too gun shy to give it another try.
    Or so I say now! Who knows? With my recurrance and mets, perhaps I will be inclined to see how/if it works.

Hugs,
    Chen♥
  • Snowkitty
    Snowkitty Member Posts: 295
    It's legal in my state,
    It's legal in my state, although a pain in the butt and I know it would have taken forever to go through the hoops. Never even tried for the legal way. I didn't get it in time for my most severe nausea, but did get it in time for after the 2nd chemo. I'm not saying I used it or anything, but it did put me to sleep...blessed sleep.

Did you know they don't roll them like in the '60's? I have a great son, who went to the store to buy a bong for his mommy.

Anyways, as always...

Anonomous
  • mwallace1325
    mwallace1325 Member Posts: 806
    It's legal here
    I'm in Colorado Springs and while they've made some mistakes in legalizing it it is legal here. My primary tells me that you go to a physician and get a prescription. Here then all you have to do is pick the place you want to get it. Apparently in our town there are now 456 licensed facilities (one of the things they didn't plan for). I didn't use it, didn't need to, thank God, but would have if I needed to. If I were you, I'd speak to my onc and just ask. The worst he can say is no, and my doc said that the original intent was for HIV/AIDS and cancer patients. We have enough of a fight on our hands and should be able to explore options for things that may make us feel better and help fight the fight. Don't feel bad about asking. That's one of the things about this site, you can feel free to ask anything. Good luck and I hope if you can't get that you get something that works for you.

marge
  • webbwife50
    chenheart said:

It is somewhat legal here in California, and we are about to vote on it (again) in November, but of course it isn't federally legal, so I don't know that to think/say.
    I am from the hippie child era~a teenager in the 60's, but I was never interested nor a participant in the "drug culture" even though back then, and especially in Europe, where I was living, it wasn't illegal. It just never called my name...
    Now, with cancer, I know it is often used for its various pain relieving properties. I am not completely insolated or isolated, and can indeed recognize the tell-tale aroma of pot. I have had opportunity to use it while going through chemo...but guess what? I am allergic to even the smell of it! So, it has NO medicinal properties to me! LOL I get physically ill if I even smell it, and I am not willing to ingest it in cookies or brownies, even though I have heard ( and do believe) that when it is an added ingredient, it changes the chemical component I may be allergic to. I am just too gun shy to give it another try.
    Or so I say now! Who knows? With my recurrance and mets, perhaps I will be inclined to see how/if it works.

Hugs,
    Chen♥

Bummer!!
    I'm a 3rd generation San Diegan, born and raised border brat, I left cali 5 yrs. ago, just too many people, but I love California, it's home.

As I mentioned now I live in Washington State. I had smoked years ago, and never really thought about it until cancer treatment, it helped, and I want more, but I am hesistant to bring it up with my docs, and expose myself. So I'm thinking about going to one of these clinic advertised, I just wonder if I couldn't just get the OK from my doc?
  • webbwife50
    Snowkitty said:

It's legal in my state,
    It's legal in my state, although a pain in the butt and I know it would have taken forever to go through the hoops. Never even tried for the legal way. I didn't get it in time for my most severe nausea, but did get it in time for after the 2nd chemo. I'm not saying I used it or anything, but it did put me to sleep...blessed sleep.

Did you know they don't roll them like in the '60's? I have a great son, who went to the store to buy a bong for his mommy.

Anyways, as always...

Anonomous

lagalities
    I don't know where to get it the non-legal way either. Ya'all know where I live..heehee
    annymous
  • Heatherbelle
    Heatherbelle Member Posts: 1,226 Member
    It has come highly
    It has come highly recommended to me from a very reliable source to relieve chemo nausea, help relax and sleep, and help with appetite. I don't see the harm in trying...i'd practically eat dirt if they told me it would help me deal with chemo!
    *hugs*
    Heather
  • Snowkitty
    Snowkitty Member Posts: 295

lagalities
    I don't know where to get it the non-legal way either. Ya'all know where I live..heehee
    annymous

Any guy will know where to
    Any guy will know where to get it from. The person I asked knows tons of people and could get the stuff that's not laced with a bunch of crap.

Good luck
  • aisling8
    aisling8 Member Posts: 1,627 Member

It has come highly
    It has come highly recommended to me from a very reliable source to relieve chemo nausea, help relax and sleep, and help with appetite. I don't see the harm in trying...i'd practically eat dirt if they told me it would help me deal with chemo!
    *hugs*
    Heather

Born and Raised in San Diego?
    I'm in Encinitas, although I've only been here 10 years. Came here from Los Angeles.

Anyway, I didn't have chemo so I didn't have to think about the topic, but my dear friend did, and she totally toked her way through chemo. Said it kept the nausea away. I don't know about pain.

I don't think it's that big a deal, but like Chen, I'm a child of the sixties... Do you have adult children? I can almost guarantee they can find you a source. It's everywhere:)

Best of luck to you,

Victoria
  • webbwife50
    aisling8 said:

Born and Raised in San Diego?
    I'm in Encinitas, although I've only been here 10 years. Came here from Los Angeles.

Anyway, I didn't have chemo so I didn't have to think about the topic, but my dear friend did, and she totally toked her way through chemo. Said it kept the nausea away. I don't know about pain.

I don't think it's that big a deal, but like Chen, I'm a child of the sixties... Do you have adult children? I can almost guarantee they can find you a source. It's everywhere:)

Best of luck to you,

Victoria

Encinistas!!
    I lived in San Diego, 45 years, the last 7 in Ramona. I live near Pullman Washington now with my new husband. He has been my rock! I miss San Diego, especially whem it snows!lol
    I do have two daughters, 18 & 19yrs. I would ask them but I get scared they might get in trouble while finding something for me and I couldn't deal with that so I don't say anything to them. Thank you all for the comments and advice, I appreciate this safe place to talk about thing I wouldn't discuss anywhere else. love you all...alison
  • CypressCynthia
    CypressCynthia Member Posts: 4,014 Member

Encinistas!!
    I lived in San Diego, 45 years, the last 7 in Ramona. I live near Pullman Washington now with my new husband. He has been my rock! I miss San Diego, especially whem it snows!lol
    I do have two daughters, 18 & 19yrs. I would ask them but I get scared they might get in trouble while finding something for me and I couldn't deal with that so I don't say anything to them. Thank you all for the comments and advice, I appreciate this safe place to talk about thing I wouldn't discuss anywhere else. love you all...alison

It does help many, but it
    It does help many, but it didn't work for me and my awful nausea. Taking nausea meds every day I had chemo finally did the trick.
  • phoenixrising
    phoenixrising Member Posts: 1,508
    I never did like it. I
    I never did like it. I figured I could be stupid and eat junk all by myself, I didn't need any help. But I did get it for my mother-in-law when she had b.c. mets and the morphine was making her too constipated. What I did was make a very, very strong tea and she took about a shot glass of it now and then. She didn't get high and it did help her pain very much. Legal?? I didn't care. If it was going to help her then it would be done. Not the same as the medical mj but some info for you all the same. Best of luck to you.
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member

I never did like it. I
    I never did like it. I figured I could be stupid and eat junk all by myself, I didn't need any help. But I did get it for my mother-in-law when she had b.c. mets and the morphine was making her too constipated. What I did was make a very, very strong tea and she took about a shot glass of it now and then. She didn't get high and it did help her pain very much. Legal?? I didn't care. If it was going to help her then it would be done. Not the same as the medical mj but some info for you all the same. Best of luck to you.

I was offered it and
    I was offered it and declined, i didnt want to add any more drugs to the mix, and I have tee age daughters at home. however if your state sanctions it and/or it works go for it.
  • SIROD
    SIROD Member Posts: 2,194 Member
    Marinol
    There is a prescription medication called "Marinol", a very legal form of MJ. I used it when I did chemotherapy. I didn't like it but it work over all the other medication I tried. It put me to sleep almost immediately, so was useless when suffering from nausea during the work day.
  • HeartofSoul
    HeartofSoul Member Posts: 729 Member
    chenheart said:

Hugs,
    Chen♥

I heard Obamas AG Eric
    I heard Obamas AG Eric Holder will ignore any vote to allow MJ and enforce the Fed law, which means coming after Calif hard. i guess they have nothing better to do. where are the 1970's when we need them.