Frequent urination!

Options
Irishgypsie
Irishgypsie Member Posts: 333
edited March 2014 in Head and Neck Cancer #1
Ok folks no prostate jokes here; because i am way too young for prostate problems. But ever since I had treatment I seem to be having increased urination during the night. Has anyone else experienced the same problem??

Charles

Comments

  • Scambuster
    Scambuster Member Posts: 973
    Options
    Free Quint PeYing
    Yep, have a touch of this rare Chinese condition. Your increased sipping of water and maybe a reduced food intake will allow stuff to go through a little faster. Not sure if it's a good thing or bad things but prefer to think 'good' as everything is working much better than pre 'C' with the exception of me spit glands.

    Scam
  • Jimbo55
    Jimbo55 Member Posts: 590 Member
    Options

    Free Quint PeYing
    Yep, have a touch of this rare Chinese condition. Your increased sipping of water and maybe a reduced food intake will allow stuff to go through a little faster. Not sure if it's a good thing or bad things but prefer to think 'good' as everything is working much better than pre 'C' with the exception of me spit glands.

    Scam

    Same Here
    Yeah same for me, though I attributed this mostly to the increase in fluid intake. Its not as frequent now as during treatment. Cheers

    Jimbo
  • Skiffin16
    Skiffin16 Member Posts: 8,305 Member
    Options
    DEPENDS
    LOL, get it DEPENDS....ok, never mind, you said you were too young for that (those) Charles.

    Yes, like mentioned, I think most can be attributed to the higher amount of fluid being taken in to compensate for the lack of saliva you are experiencing....

    Best to you & Abby,
    John
  • RushFan
    RushFan Member Posts: 224
    Options
    Jimbo55 said:

    Same Here
    Yeah same for me, though I attributed this mostly to the increase in fluid intake. Its not as frequent now as during treatment. Cheers

    Jimbo

    Add me to the club.
    Add me to the club. In bed by 10pm most nights...then up at midnight, 2:30am and 4:30am. EVERY night. And while I'm "at it", I have a spritz or two of Biotene and then back to la-la land.

    Best to all,
    Chuck.
  • MarineE5
    MarineE5 Member Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    Same
    I'm pretty much the same as all above. I'm up between 1 1/2 -2 hours after going to sleep and continues throughout the night. The dry mouth also contributes to me waking up as well. Our new normal.

    I enjoy the waking up part each morning. Life has thrown us all a curve, but we can hit curve balls as well as the slow pitches.

    My Best to You and Everyone Here
  • rmkbrad
    rmkbrad Member Posts: 176
    Options
    Me to
    Bed around 10, up around midnight then I usually can go until 6ish.
  • Skiffin16
    Skiffin16 Member Posts: 8,305 Member
    Options
    MarineE5 said:

    Same
    I'm pretty much the same as all above. I'm up between 1 1/2 -2 hours after going to sleep and continues throughout the night. The dry mouth also contributes to me waking up as well. Our new normal.

    I enjoy the waking up part each morning. Life has thrown us all a curve, but we can hit curve balls as well as the slow pitches.

    My Best to You and Everyone Here

    HooRahh Brother, USMC BD Fast Approaching
    As you, "I enjoy the waking up part each morning".....

    Best,
    John
  • Greend
    Greend Member Posts: 678
    Options
    Get used to it
    13 years of up about 4-5 times a night. It finally reached the point where it is almost like sleep walking, get up, do my thing and right back to sleep. Don't forget to have your potassium levels checked. Drinking as much as we do tends to lower sodium and potassium levels over time.
  • matthewcplourde
    matthewcplourde Member Posts: 32
    Options
    yep!
    I'm 11 years out... 2-3 times a night still. Sorry, I wish I had better news for ya!
  • Glenna M
    Glenna M Member Posts: 1,576
    Options
    Still going
    One year post and I keep going and going and going, just like the Energizer Bunny ;-) During the day I am in the bathroom every hour to hour and a half but I know this is because I sip water non-stop during the day. I try not to drink much after 6 PM but still have to take the occasional sip of water to wet my mouth. The most I can sleep is 3 or 4 hours and then I wake up for the usual sip of water and bathroom call. Seems like a vicious cycle, sip - pee - sip - pee - LOL

    I can adjust to this because at least I am still waking up. Just figure it's another part of the "new normal".

    Glenna
  • patricke
    patricke Member Posts: 570
    Options
    YOU'RE NOT ALONE
    After 10 yrs, I'm so used to getting up 2-4 times a night, that I'm back to sleep as soon as my head hits the pillow. The first thing that I scope out whenever I'm out doing anything away from home, is- where's the bathroom..........* I do believe, however, that I have increased my bladder capacity somewhat. It's an ajustment, hang in there......*

    PATRICK
  • denistd
    denistd Member Posts: 597
    Options
    patricke said:

    YOU'RE NOT ALONE
    After 10 yrs, I'm so used to getting up 2-4 times a night, that I'm back to sleep as soon as my head hits the pillow. The first thing that I scope out whenever I'm out doing anything away from home, is- where's the bathroom..........* I do believe, however, that I have increased my bladder capacity somewhat. It's an ajustment, hang in there......*

    PATRICK

    urination
    Yes, up every 3 hours. I drink a lot of water but also have BPH and have had it for a while, so I have the added problem of the dribble effect. Denis
  • Kimba1505
    Kimba1505 Member Posts: 557
    Options

    yep!
    I'm 11 years out... 2-3 times a night still. Sorry, I wish I had better news for ya!

    Yep Yep
    Same for Mark. We are talking about getting a King sized bed so I don't have to be awake every time he is. Looked at the $3200 temperpedic bed...the one where you can put a glass of wine on one side and jump up and down on the other and the wine doesn't spill. Found Tylenol PM works great for sleeping through Mark's ups and downs and doesn't cost very much. :)
    He also attributes the increase night time peeing to how much he drinks during the day.
    Sorry Charles...looks like it is what it is.
    Hope you and puppy are well.
    Kim
  • Hondo
    Hondo Member Posts: 6,636 Member
    Options
    Same as everyone else
    Hondo checking in with the PP problems as well, some night I get up every hour others only once or twice a night.
  • luv4lacrosse
    luv4lacrosse Member Posts: 1,410 Member
    Options
    Kimba1505 said:

    Yep Yep
    Same for Mark. We are talking about getting a King sized bed so I don't have to be awake every time he is. Looked at the $3200 temperpedic bed...the one where you can put a glass of wine on one side and jump up and down on the other and the wine doesn't spill. Found Tylenol PM works great for sleeping through Mark's ups and downs and doesn't cost very much. :)
    He also attributes the increase night time peeing to how much he drinks during the day.
    Sorry Charles...looks like it is what it is.
    Hope you and puppy are well.
    Kim

    BUY THE BED, IT SAVED OUR SANITY
    I have the largest model Tempurpedic makes. I am in and out of bed anywhere from 2 6 times a night. I could literally drop myself into that thing and she would never know I was there. The quality of sleep we are getting, even with our sleep broken up is much better. I take allot ribbing from people about spending so much on a bed, but let's face it, it is the foundation and building block for your entire day.

    Mike
  • D Lewis
    D Lewis Member Posts: 1,581 Member
    Options
    Hmmmm.
    Are we drinking more fluids? Yep. Continuously. But, I swear more comes out than goes in... Did I really drink that much?

    Deb
  • Hondo
    Hondo Member Posts: 6,636 Member
    Options
    D Lewis said:

    Hmmmm.
    Are we drinking more fluids? Yep. Continuously. But, I swear more comes out than goes in... Did I really drink that much?

    Deb

    Deb


    It is a good thing in a way I guess as our bodies needs the extra fluid, we just need to find a way to put a valve on it at night.
  • Pam M
    Pam M Member Posts: 2,196
    Options
    In the Frequent Pee Community
    Sign me up for the club, too. My water intake is higher than pre-cancer, so the output is, too. I, too, KNOW I didn't drink that much in the evening - how can I produce so much overnight? Ah well - I have to drink whenever I get up - I'd feel worse if I woke up multiple times needing to drink - it doesn't stress me, now because I'm waking up to go, then realizing I need a drink, not waking up solely because I'm dry.
  • dennis318
    dennis318 Member Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Pam M said:

    In the Frequent Pee Community
    Sign me up for the club, too. My water intake is higher than pre-cancer, so the output is, too. I, too, KNOW I didn't drink that much in the evening - how can I produce so much overnight? Ah well - I have to drink whenever I get up - I'd feel worse if I woke up multiple times needing to drink - it doesn't stress me, now because I'm waking up to go, then realizing I need a drink, not waking up solely because I'm dry.

    No Your Normal
    I was up every hour on the hour for teh last 3 weeks, talk about screwy sleeping times, and urination everytime i got up, try cutting the fluids at 6:30, I tried this and it did cut alot of night potty time, alot of mine is fatigue from broken sleep from this very thing, i hate it.....I want a all night sleep...Thanks Dennis
  • Army_Guy
    Army_Guy Member Posts: 53
    Options
    Frequent Urination...
    As they say..."it's the water". At my age I usually woke at least once during the night pre-diagnosis to urinate. Now it's 3-4 times (I am 9 weeks post-treatment). Of course I now drink 70-80 ounces of water daily (did this through treatment to ward off sore throat, loss of swallow ability and Cisplation kidney damage)so it stands to reason that what goes in must come out. I am grateful to be able to pee (good kidneys) just as I am grateful to be here. Welcome to the "new normal".

    Dave