Am I finally realizing I am a cancer survivor?

ladyg
ladyg Member Posts: 1,577
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Since I was first dx'd in March of this year I have not really been able to tell anyone outside my family and close friends about my "illness". Only a couple of the people I work with knew about my dx. The others just knew I was sick but did not know with what. Today someone asked me how I was feeling. I told her that I was doing good. Then she asked me what was wrong. Almost without hesitation, I told her that I had a "bout" with breast cancer. She then asked about my treatment. I told her surgery and radiation but no chemo.
I know she is aware of cancer treatment because of her daughter. After we finished our conversation I couldn't believe that I actually told someone and didn't feel like I shouldn't. I guess maybe I am finally starting to move on and not be "hiding".

Hugs,
Georgia

Comments

• roseyposey333
    roseyposey333 Member Posts: 68
    Good for you Georgia
    I think I had the opposite reaction. I found I was telling everyone. I think I was trying to see if anyone had answers for me, if they knew someone that had breast cancer, if they knew doctors,etc.

I remember hearing from a co worker that someone was asking why I am so open about this and couldn't understand why I wouldn't hide my illness. I think I felt that if I talked about it it wouldn't be such a horrible secret. Of course, that's me, my sons used to tell me, "Mom why to you tell everybody everything", like I said that's me.

Anyway, I am now a 6 month survivor and that feels great. I think I will really believe it when I get my next mammo and all is clear, praying for that.

So happy to share the survivor club with you Georgia, now it's our turn to give back.

R
  • KathiM
    KathiM Member Posts: 8,028 Member
    We are all proud of you....
    And so should you be! You faced a life-threatening disease, and BEAT it!!! That is enough to sing it to the skies!!!!

I think it's easier to share after-the-fact. I was at my new dentist today, so had to fill out a health history...lol...I can circle many of the items, and check many of the boxes (2 primary site cancers will do that to you-lol!)...it's always the same reaction..."But you look so good! How are you doing now?" I always smile a big smile, and drag out my fav line "Well, it's almost 6 years ago I was told I had 6 months to live. All things considered, I'm doing GREAT just to be sitting here, don't you think?"

Hugs, Kathi
  • padee6339
    padee6339 Member Posts: 763
    Opposite
    I too told everyone that I had breast cancer. I think I may have been looking for the sympathy vote - LOL. No really, it just happened to be October and Breast Cancer Month, so I used my diagnosis to spread more of the word. Today the corporation I work for is having a pink day. There was a little notice on our company web site that there will be a webinar with a doctor about breast cancer and all employees are encouraged to wear pink. No emails were sent, no notices in the lobby, just this little statement buried on our Shared Services page. Yesterday in the cafeteria some of us were talking about it and there was this young man standing in front of me. I laughingly reminded him to wear pink today and he said he would never wear pink. I smiled sweetly and said, Real men wear pink. He said not him. I said big burly professional and college football players are wearing pink on their uniforms this month and he said they also slap each other's backsides, and he won't do that either. As he was walking away, I again smiled sweetly at him and said "thank you for your support". When he was gone other people started talking about it and what a jerk he was, but I said that maybe he just was not aware of the pink significance, and anyways, each to his own. Our department Admin was angry at him but I just told her to forget it, maybe someday someone in his life will need that support and he will then realize the significance of what a little bit of pink will bring to that person.
    Pat
  • roseyposey333
    roseyposey333 Member Posts: 68
    padee6339 said:

Opposite
    I too told everyone that I had breast cancer. I think I may have been looking for the sympathy vote - LOL. No really, it just happened to be October and Breast Cancer Month, so I used my diagnosis to spread more of the word. Today the corporation I work for is having a pink day. There was a little notice on our company web site that there will be a webinar with a doctor about breast cancer and all employees are encouraged to wear pink. No emails were sent, no notices in the lobby, just this little statement buried on our Shared Services page. Yesterday in the cafeteria some of us were talking about it and there was this young man standing in front of me. I laughingly reminded him to wear pink today and he said he would never wear pink. I smiled sweetly and said, Real men wear pink. He said not him. I said big burly professional and college football players are wearing pink on their uniforms this month and he said they also slap each other's backsides, and he won't do that either. As he was walking away, I again smiled sweetly at him and said "thank you for your support". When he was gone other people started talking about it and what a jerk he was, but I said that maybe he just was not aware of the pink significance, and anyways, each to his own. Our department Admin was angry at him but I just told her to forget it, maybe someday someone in his life will need that support and he will then realize the significance of what a little bit of pink will bring to that person.
    Pat

sounds like simple ignorance
    I don't think he realized, as you said, the importance of bringing awareness to this disease and chances are he WILL be touched by this one day as there are so many new cases.

Since I am not working now I feel a bit like I am not part of the pink thing. I worked in a hospital so it was always acknowledged in October especially. I am going back next week to my old job, (I moved during my treatment and had to quit my job) to celebrate my retirement from there so maybe I will see some pink going on then.

In any case, pink is my new favorite color. Never wore pink before so I have a lot of shopping to catch up on,lol.

THINK PINK, R
  • Gabe N Abby Mom
    Gabe N Abby Mom Member Posts: 2,413
    I told everyone. Probably
    I told everyone. Probably more than they wanted to hear. Since I have IBC and had never heard of it, and had no idea of the symptoms, I wanted (still do) to raise awareness about this particular version of the beast. I think it's really important for people to know that breast cancer doesn't always have a lump. If that's all they're looking for, then they are doing themselves a disservice...uh oh...here I go again! LOL

But each of us needs to approach this in the way that makes the most sense to us. If you are in a position where you are uncomfortable, that doesn't help your recovery. You have to do what's right for you. Maybe it was easier to tell this person because of her daughter, maybe the time was right. Regardless, you are a survivor and have fought a difficult battle. You can take pride in that!

Hugs,

Linda