Local hospital one of eight pilot

cahjah75
cahjah75 Member Posts: 2,631
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Survivorship Programs nationwide. My Sunday paper had a whole section titled, "Faces of Cancer, Faces that Care". The article talked about helping cancer survivors adapt. I thought I'd share some comments:

Who needs chemo? Oncotype dx helps. It analyzes tumors.

When you buy pink, know where your green is going. This was an eye opener to me as I've been a consumer and a donater for many years. The Breast Cancer Research Foundation was listed #1. For every $100 raised from fundraising only $7 is used by the organization, the rest for research. Compared to #10 Breast Cancer Research Relief Foundation which uses $76-86 of their dollars!

Optimism can help, hinder patients: Evidence is mounting that positive feelings can influence good health outcomes. Optimism, however, has become a common theme in the current culture of cancer care.

The effect of all this positive thinking is to transform breast cancer into a rite of passage - not an injustice or tragedy to rail against, but a normal marker in the life cycle, like menopause or grandmotherhood.

The sugarcoating of cancer can exact a dreadful cost. First it requires the denial of understandable feelings of anger and fear, all of which must be buried under a cosmetic layer of cheer. A positive outlook can address helplessness and return some control to a patient. That can help alleviate conditions such as anxiety, depression and despair that often accompany cancer.

So, what I gleened from all the articles is that a healthy positive attitude helps but we shouldn't bury our fears. Seek out help. It's out there. We are not alone. We are survivors.
Char

Comments