Constipation Help!

Options
2»

Comments

• Angie2U
    Angie2U Member Posts: 2,991
    Options

I had this problem really
    I had this problem really bad at the beginning of my chemo treatments, and because Ive been on painkillers pretty much the entire time that I've been on chemo. I was taking Colace every day but that wastn't taking care of the problem, then when i would take laxatives instead i would have horrible cramping & an afternoon of running to the bathroom.
    I talked to my Onc about it & he suggested taking Senokot S. It is a laxative PLUS stool softener in one, and it works for me! You can take 2 at a time, up to twice a day. I take 2 a day & have no more issues with constipation.
    Wishing you the best, and hope that you get relief. I know how miserable that can be.
    *hugs*
    Heather

When I took the pain pills
    When I took the pain pills after my lumpectomy, my surgeon said they would constipate me, so, I used Senokot also, and, it worked. It is just an over the counter stool softener.

Hugs, Angie
  • ms.sunshine
    ms.sunshine Member Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    sbmly53 said:

Yuk, but worked for me.
    Equal parts of orange juice, prune juice and milk of magnesia warmed to room temp. As I said, Yuk!

Sue

Whatever you take
    Make sure you do plenty of walking. Do not sit for long periods of time.
  • Katz77
    Katz77 Member Posts: 598
    Options
    If you are like me
    I tell people I was born consipated. With chemo, course this is me, thought I was going to have to go to ER. Yes, lots of H2O, stool softners, even laxatives. Bought suppositories, enemas (didnt do it) Did the supp. I found the fiber bars and Miralax worked best for me. I had a talk with the pharmaist and he said common problem with cancer pts. He said his 5 yr old had the same "born consipated" problem as I. Worked for her, and me. I don't think cancer center addressed this issue strong enough. Good luck and take care. Katz
  • Megan M
    Megan M Member Posts: 3,000
    Options
    Katz77 said:

If you are like me
    I tell people I was born consipated. With chemo, course this is me, thought I was going to have to go to ER. Yes, lots of H2O, stool softners, even laxatives. Bought suppositories, enemas (didnt do it) Did the supp. I found the fiber bars and Miralax worked best for me. I had a talk with the pharmaist and he said common problem with cancer pts. He said his 5 yr old had the same "born consipated" problem as I. Worked for her, and me. I don't think cancer center addressed this issue strong enough. Good luck and take care. Katz

When I got my Vicadin, I
    When I got my Vicadin, I asked the pharmacist for a stool softener, as, my plastic surgeon said the drug would constipate me. It worked great!

Good luck, Megan
  • fauxma
    fauxma Member Posts: 3,577 Member
    Options
    Katz77 said:

If you are like me

My daughter had a great deal
    My daughter had a great deal of problem with constipation as a child. We tried many remedies. Her doctor finally recommended dried apricots. He said they contained something that most other dried fruit did not. Sure he said what that was, but I can't remember. The bottom (no pun intended) was they worked. Even now when she has occasional bouts she goes and get a bag of dried apricots and it still works. Worth a shot anyway.
    Stef