HAPPY THANKSGIVING TO ALL CANADIANS ON THIS SITE !!!!

bluerose
bluerose Member Posts: 1,104
edited March 2014 in Emotional Support #1
Just a little shout out to all the Canadian members of the site here, this weekend is our Thanksgiving Day weekend and here in Ontario the weather is glorious. Hope it is in your areas too.

Hope you all are dining with loved ones this Thanksgiving and know that if you are on your own the site is always here, lots of survivors to keep you company.

Blessings,
Bluerose

Comments

• tears2overcome
    tears2overcome Member Posts: 98
    Missing out
    What a nice letter, I am missing thanksgivng at home in saskatchewan, but enjoying a room full of nice ppl.....Bless everyone.
  • 3Mana
    3Mana Member Posts: 811
    Curious
    Just wondering what is this Thanksgiving weekend??? I've never heard of it. Thought Thanksgiving was celebrated everywhere in November. Hope you have a great weekend whatever you do. Don't eat too much.
  • bluerose
    3Mana said:

Curious
    Just wondering what is this Thanksgiving weekend??? I've never heard of it. Thought Thanksgiving was celebrated everywhere in November. Hope you have a great weekend whatever you do. Don't eat too much.

Nope in Canada Thanksgiving is always in October
    Canadian Thanksgiving is always in October and is always a long weekend that many look at as the end of the summer for us as snow will be on it's way in a couple of months.

We have all the same Thanksgiving food that Americans do turkey or ham or whatever meat that is traditional but turkey is the big one. We have yams and potatoes and dressing/stuffing and cranberry sauce and of course pumpkin pies and whipping cream. Families all over have their own childhood favourite dishes all over the world but these are some of the classics I think for North America.

We 'Up there', lol, aren't that different from the States in lots of ways.

I certainly will not promise not to eat too much, hey it's Thanksgiving - isn't that the way it's supposed to be? Eat til you have to undo the top button on your jeans/skirt? lol

Blessings, Bluerose
  • bluerose

Missing out
    What a nice letter, I am missing thanksgivng at home in saskatchewan, but enjoying a room full of nice ppl.....Bless everyone.

Hi Tears
    Like Christmas we all miss our childhood home towns don't we? Nice memories for you I hope. Well you have a nice room full of people and what more can you ask for right?

Take care and Happy Thanksgiving. Blessings, Bluerose
  • 3Mana
    3Mana Member Posts: 811
    bluerose said:

Nope in Canada Thanksgiving is always in October
    Canadian Thanksgiving is always in October and is always a long weekend that many look at as the end of the summer for us as snow will be on it's way in a couple of months.

We have all the same Thanksgiving food that Americans do turkey or ham or whatever meat that is traditional but turkey is the big one. We have yams and potatoes and dressing/stuffing and cranberry sauce and of course pumpkin pies and whipping cream. Families all over have their own childhood favourite dishes all over the world but these are some of the classics I think for North America.

We 'Up there', lol, aren't that different from the States in lots of ways.

I certainly will not promise not to eat too much, hey it's Thanksgiving - isn't that the way it's supposed to be? Eat til you have to undo the top button on your jeans/skirt? lol

Blessings, Bluerose

Something new every day!
    That is very interesting, Bluerose! I never knew that before and always think of Canada being just like the USA. You do celebrate Christmas in Dec. though, right??
    So, did you have your big meal yesterday & can you still button your jeans/skirt?? Yikes!
    Have a great day! "Carole"
  • bluerose
    3Mana said:

Something new every day!
    That is very interesting, Bluerose! I never knew that before and always think of Canada being just like the USA. You do celebrate Christmas in Dec. though, right??
    So, did you have your big meal yesterday & can you still button your jeans/skirt?? Yikes!
    Have a great day! "Carole"

Uh huh
    Yup Christ was only born on one day of the year all over as far as I know so yes we celebrate Xmas in December. However that is the day, the 25th that has been come to be known as the day Jesus was born but actually most scolars dispute that but for the sake of arguement here I think the 25th is the most popular day most Christians celebrate Jesus' birth, all over the world. even though it might not have actually been on that day in reality.

We have the big meal today actually but tomorrow (Thanksgiving Monday) is a holiday here too so people usually do the big dinner today and use the Monday to travel back home after visiting relatives/friends for the big meal or to just relax before back to work on Tuesday.

And no I can't do up my jeans top button after the meal. Burp. lol. Exsqueeze me. lol. Thanks for asking. Take care.

Bluerose
  • Pennymac02
    Pennymac02 Member Posts: 332 Member
    bluerose said:

Uh huh
    Yup Christ was only born on one day of the year all over as far as I know so yes we celebrate Xmas in December. However that is the day, the 25th that has been come to be known as the day Jesus was born but actually most scolars dispute that but for the sake of arguement here I think the 25th is the most popular day most Christians celebrate Jesus' birth, all over the world. even though it might not have actually been on that day in reality.

We have the big meal today actually but tomorrow (Thanksgiving Monday) is a holiday here too so people usually do the big dinner today and use the Monday to travel back home after visiting relatives/friends for the big meal or to just relax before back to work on Tuesday.

And no I can't do up my jeans top button after the meal. Burp. lol. Exsqueeze me. lol. Thanks for asking. Take care.

Bluerose

Black Tuesday?
    Do you have black Tuesday like we have black Friday? (wondering what that many extra shopping days before Christmas would do to my budget!)LOL
  • bluerose

Black Tuesday?
    Do you have black Tuesday like we have black Friday? (wondering what that many extra shopping days before Christmas would do to my budget!)LOL

Not really but ....
    Our stores lower prices to compete with your south of the border sales but technically we don't have a Black Friday after our Thanksgiving no. Canadian cities, especially those near our border go down to take advantage of your Black Friday sales though, that's why some of the malls here try to entice them to stay home and shop that day. Most of our stores are closed on the day after Thanksgiving, most of them.

Here is a story from one of our provinces capital city's Winnipeg Manitoba - they go down to Minneapolis to take advantage of your Black Friday as do others bordering on the states:

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/business/canadian-retailers-battling-us-black-friday-bargains-75723507.html

The day after Xmas here is called Boxing Day and that is the big day of after Christmas sales.

Take care. Blueroses
  • This comment has been removed by the Moderator
  • bluerose
    unknown said:

This comment has been removed by the Moderator

Hey Kathy
    Thanks for the comments. I would like to read your thread but you didn't say where it was on here? Under what topic? Where are you, I am in Ontario - Ottawa.

Hope you had a good Thanksgiving. Blessings, Bluerose