Breast Cancer Survivor w/enlarged hilar lymph node

ButterFly1234
ButterFly1234 Member Posts: 6
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Dx 5-5-09 with breast cancer. Mastectomy w/reconstruction. Chemo- last treatment Dec 09. Had followup Ct and they found enlarged hilar lymph node. Wondered if anyone else has had this or known of anyone? Getting a little freaked out. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Comments

• Aortus
    Aortus Member Posts: 967
    Can't say for sure, but
    the "hilar node" thing sounds sort of like a co-worker from another department had last summer. At first her doctors told her it was cancerous - great - and then they told her it was sarcoidosis instead. Don't get me wrong, sarcoidosis is no fun at all (Liz would come over and whop me if I even implied that), but it is far easier to beat than metastatic BC.

And I think it's more likely still that it's no big deal at all. Last summer, maybe a week before my Moopy started rads (7 months past diagnosis and surgery), she felt an enlarged lymph node in her right (non-mastectomy) armpit. The nurse practitioner in her surgeon's office did an examination and said yes it was enlarged, and no, it was nothing to worry about. His explanation was that chemo wreaked a lot of havoc on everything it touched, including the lymphatic system. It's been more than a year since then, and the NP was absolutely right. It turned out to be no big deal.

Please get it checked out, but try not to worry. Easier said than done, I know, but I can tell you from experience that it could very well be nothing at all.

Best,
    Joe
  • keep_on_going
    keep_on_going Member Posts: 21
    Hilar node
    The hilum is the space between the lungs & behind the heart. I've seen many people with an enlarged node & it turns out to be nothing. Take some deep breaths & try to think happy thoughts until there is a definite diagnosis.
    Best wishes.
  • ButterFly1234
    ButterFly1234 Member Posts: 6

Hilar node
    The hilum is the space between the lungs & behind the heart. I've seen many people with an enlarged node & it turns out to be nothing. Take some deep breaths & try to think happy thoughts until there is a definite diagnosis.
    Best wishes.

Hilar Node
    Thank you for all that responded. I appreicate the input. I seen the oncologist in two weeks and have a million questions. So hopefully I can get some answers. Again, thank you.
  • Aortus
    Aortus Member Posts: 967

Hilar Node
    Thank you for all that responded. I appreicate the input. I seen the oncologist in two weeks and have a million questions. So hopefully I can get some answers. Again, thank you.

Glad to help
    Make sure to write your questions down before you see the oncologist... it took a couple of "facepalm" moments (Oh, we forgot to ask about...) before we got into the habit.