kind of chemo

tina dasilva
tina dasilva Member Posts: 641
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
Meglets Jorge is getting folfiri and bevacizumab and 5fu pump for 46 hours at home . Jorge gets the chemo every 2weeks.

Comments

• maglets
    maglets Member Posts: 2,576 Member
    thanks tina
    ok tina that sounds good....unfortunately I have never done folfiri but lots of folks here have. Hopefully the folfiri people will chime and help if you have questions. I have done the 5FU lots of times so lets just wait until we see how Jorge is feeling..lots of little meals i think tina...like maybe 5 or 6 a day...rather than big heavy meals. Lots to drink...but we'll talk later.

all best luck

maggie
  • msccolon
    msccolon Member Posts: 1,917 Member
    he'll do great!
    Keep a journal of side effects so you can remember to mention them when you go in to see the doctor. I am very forgetful and would always remember something I wished I had mentioned after I got home. Remember that if Jorge experiences it, so has somebody else, so they probably have something that can help! Always remember to keep hydrated and eat small meals, like Maggie said. Good luck and let us know how he does! I have done FOLFIRI quite a few times.
    mary
  • Sundanceh
    Sundanceh Member Posts: 4,392 Member
    Doing Folfiri Now...
    HI Tina

I've just finished my 2nd round of Folfiri, that's the regiment of my protocol at the moment, but I've done many things before this.

It's doable - the first 7-8 days starting from the infusion going forward are the toughest. I agree with Mary and Maggie - small meals and try to stay hydrated. Get a scrip for Lomotil too, will help with the diahrrea.

His white cell blood counts will be monitored - if they get too low, Jorge risks infection, so they might give him booster shots with names like Neulasta and Neupogen. Neulasta is given in one shot dose and the Neupogen over several days, but they both boost counts to allow treatment to continue. Having good WBC's is the key to getting his treatments on time as the onc orders them.

He may start to feel tired after his 46-hour pump unhook, alot of us get like that, the chemo begins to catch up to you. But just have him rest when he needs to and sleep as well - he needs his strength. Stay hydrated and eat small, frequent meals.

And just tell him to take it one day at a time. I've been down the roads for the better part of 6-years, so I've been there and can give you a heads up of what to expect along the way. It's the biggest reason I come here to the boards, is to help those like yourself and your husband.

I know it's all a little scary now - and all so new as well. It's a great big ol' world out there, but just learn it one step at a time in the steps you need to, so you don't get too overwhelmed.

Any questions, just ask, but this will get you off and running.

Best Wishes!

-Craig
  • tina dasilva
    maglets said:

thanks tina
    ok tina that sounds good....unfortunately I have never done folfiri but lots of folks here have. Hopefully the folfiri people will chime and help if you have questions. I have done the 5FU lots of times so lets just wait until we see how Jorge is feeling..lots of little meals i think tina...like maybe 5 or 6 a day...rather than big heavy meals. Lots to drink...but we'll talk later.

all best luck

maggie

thanks
    thank you maggie for the info it was great help .
  • tina dasilva
    msccolon said:

he'll do great!
    Keep a journal of side effects so you can remember to mention them when you go in to see the doctor. I am very forgetful and would always remember something I wished I had mentioned after I got home. Remember that if Jorge experiences it, so has somebody else, so they probably have something that can help! Always remember to keep hydrated and eat small meals, like Maggie said. Good luck and let us know how he does! I have done FOLFIRI quite a few times.
    mary

thanks Mary
    thank you Mary yes your right about the journal and thats what im going to do
  • maglets
    maglets Member Posts: 2,576 Member

thanks Mary
    thank you Mary yes your right about the journal and thats what im going to do

journal
    Tina Mary is right....I had forgotten that...just get a little book and write everything down no matter how silly it seems at the time. You will probably find that from month to month the side effects vary and it is so good to have this record to talk with your onc.

so glad Craig has chimed in....Tina he has tons of experience....

mags
  • pepebcn
    pepebcn Member Posts: 6,331 Member
    Sundanceh said:

Doing Folfiri Now...
    HI Tina

I've just finished my 2nd round of Folfiri, that's the regiment of my protocol at the moment, but I've done many things before this.

It's doable - the first 7-8 days starting from the infusion going forward are the toughest. I agree with Mary and Maggie - small meals and try to stay hydrated. Get a scrip for Lomotil too, will help with the diahrrea.

His white cell blood counts will be monitored - if they get too low, Jorge risks infection, so they might give him booster shots with names like Neulasta and Neupogen. Neulasta is given in one shot dose and the Neupogen over several days, but they both boost counts to allow treatment to continue. Having good WBC's is the key to getting his treatments on time as the onc orders them.

He may start to feel tired after his 46-hour pump unhook, alot of us get like that, the chemo begins to catch up to you. But just have him rest when he needs to and sleep as well - he needs his strength. Stay hydrated and eat small, frequent meals.

And just tell him to take it one day at a time. I've been down the roads for the better part of 6-years, so I've been there and can give you a heads up of what to expect along the way. It's the biggest reason I come here to the boards, is to help those like yourself and your husband.

I know it's all a little scary now - and all so new as well. It's a great big ol' world out there, but just learn it one step at a time in the steps you need to, so you don't get too overwhelmed.

Any questions, just ask, but this will get you off and running.

Best Wishes!

-Craig

lm in folfiri Tina
    What do you want to know about?
    l will be glad to inform you .