Hair question....nobody laugh

Options
Hissy_Fitz
Hissy_Fitz Member Posts: 1,834
edited March 2014 in Ovarian Cancer #1
I suddenly remembered a woman I used to work with, whose hair began to get very thin after menopause. Her doctor recommended Rogaine for Men (because the one for men is stronger and being post-menopausal, there was no danger of her getting pregnant). Would something like that be advantageous for us, as well? My hair was growing back (a little) for a few months, even on the monthly Taxol, but now it's starting to disappear again. And it's "spotty". Some areas are almost sans hair altogether, a truly alarming situation.

Anyone care to weigh in?

Carlene

Comments

• Mwee
    Mwee Member Posts: 1,338
    Options
    not laughing, chuckling or even smirking
    I don't have an an answer to this, but I'll be waiting to see if anyone else does. I'm off to another blood test and my red blood cells must have taken a nose dive for I'm really dragging..... would love to be heading out the door with a thick head of hair... oh, well. :)
    ((((HUGS)))) Maria
  • lindaprocopio
    lindaprocopio Member Posts: 1,980
    Options
    Mwee said:

not laughing, chuckling or even smirking
    I don't have an an answer to this, but I'll be waiting to see if anyone else does. I'm off to another blood test and my red blood cells must have taken a nose dive for I'm really dragging..... would love to be heading out the door with a thick head of hair... oh, well. :)
    ((((HUGS)))) Maria

I was wondering if the taxol maintenance allowed for hair!
    I was hoping the maintenance taxol was weak enough that your hair would return. I have no answers about Rogaine, but I do know that women can use it, as long as they don't plan to get pregnant. I hope someone posts that knows about this.

My eyelashes and brows have come back since I switched from weekly taxol to Doxil. And I know people have said that their hair just 'thinned' when they were on Doxil. But when you are already bald from taxol, there isn't any hair to THIN, so I'm wondering if my hair has a shot at all of returning. (my legs and underarms, etc. are still hairless, too.) I have a little "5 o'clock shadow" here and there on my head, but areas still completely shiny smooth and 100% bald, so I think any re-growth is going to be too spotty to go wig-free/hat-free. Thank God it's getting cooler outside!

I am happy enough to have brows and lashes and wear wigs and hats, but I know my husband would like to have a wife with hair. My bald head makes him sad.
  • Barbara53
    Barbara53 Member Posts: 652
    Options
    tamoxifen grows hair
    When Mom went on Tamoxifen for 6 months, I swear she started growing back her hair really fast. She also has eyedrops to prevent glaucoma that have the same drug in them as Latrisse (sp), so her eyelashes grew back fast and full, too. I think any eye doc can write an rx for Latrisse -- the stuff Brooke Shields advertises -- and that once you're off Taxol it could help get your lashes back faster.
  • kayandok
    kayandok Member Posts: 1,202 Member
    Options
    My hair started to grow back
    at the end of my 8 cycles of carbo/taxol on first line chemo. I have never thought about Rogaine for Men. It is certainly worth a try. Go for it, and be sure and let us know the results!

kathleen❥
  • NancyC
    NancyC Member Posts: 10
    Options
    Carlene,
    I too did the 12

Carlene,

I too did the 12 months of Taxol maintenance after my initial carbo/taxol IV treatments. Once you have completed this and are off Taxol, your hair will grow back. I recently talked with a woman who has lost her hair three separate times due to treatments. Her hair came back different each time(brown versus black, curly versus wavy). How many more maintenance treatments do you have left?

Nancy
  • Hissy_Fitz
    Hissy_Fitz Member Posts: 1,834
    Options
    NancyC said:

Carlene,
    I too did the 12

Carlene,

I too did the 12 months of Taxol maintenance after my initial carbo/taxol IV treatments. Once you have completed this and are off Taxol, your hair will grow back. I recently talked with a woman who has lost her hair three separate times due to treatments. Her hair came back different each time(brown versus black, curly versus wavy). How many more maintenance treatments do you have left?

Nancy

Nancy....I have 4 treatments
    Nancy....I have 4 treatments left. My doctor said Taxol is one of the worst for causing hair loss, but "this time next year, you will have hair."