More comments from the inane and idiotic

Options
2»

Comments

• Skiffin16
    Skiffin16 Member Posts: 8,305 Member
    Options

Quippy response
    I should have told him that I live with a cut-throat lawyer, which is my usual response. Either that or I was trying out my Halloween costume as one of Jack the Ripper's prostitutes.

LOL
    Ohhh you're good.....
  • pattyanny
    pattyanny Member Posts: 544
    Options
    stevenl said:

High School
    You look like you did when you were in High School. Oh Yea? I just don't think so. I am still 50 pounds down but I damn sure don't look like I did when i was in High School.
    I look a lot wiser, he he he.

Oh yea, and I am much better looking. Sorry a little, very small lie there.

STEVEN L

Compliment????
    Love all your posts! I did not realize there were so many ignorant idiots in the world.
    Here goes - I was in the grocery line, when a woman I had not seen for 8 years says, "OMG! You have lost so much weight!" as she eyed me up & down, with a horrified look on her face. I smilingly and exclaimed "Oh, Thank you!" That shut her right up.
    Lol! Thank you Holy Spirit for guiding my tongue.
  • Kent Cass
    Kent Cass Member Posts: 1,898 Member
    Options
    stevenl said:

High School
    You look like you did when you were in High School. Oh Yea? I just don't think so. I am still 50 pounds down but I damn sure don't look like I did when i was in High School.
    I look a lot wiser, he he he.

Oh yea, and I am much better looking. Sorry a little, very small lie there.

STEVEN L

Workplace
    Around 70 people where I work, with all but three being men, I was amazed at how nice everyone was to me when I returned to work in May of 09. I was still struggling mightily, then. But then came the 17% rise in insurance premiums in March of this year, and it seems some attitudes towards me have changed. Handful of them regularly say things they know will tick me off. And the staring by a couple of them is over-the-top rude. And, two in management clearly want me gone from the place. Lotta in-fighting amongst the workers, though, that has gone on for all of the 16-years I've worked there, so one learns to take things in stride- though it does get a bit tricky when one in upper-management gets on my case. Major stressful- to the point of realizing the bad things I could leave behind by quitting the job, rather than being "let go," for no good reason.

Was working with my tongue in my mouth the other day as I walked past a worker running a job he didn't like. "What are you smiling about?" he asked, inferring that I was laughing at him having to run the job. "Ain't no big deal, Joe. Just Cancer," was my response, then walked away.

kcass
  • Glenna M
    Glenna M Member Posts: 1,576
    Options
    staceya said:

I thought you had died???
    I can't believe someone actually said this..Liked your reply..
    what are people thinking??
    Stacey

Stacey
    The man who said that to me is really a sweet guy so I didn't get too upset with him, actually it almost made me laugh. But it is a perfect example of how so many people speak before they think.
  • Skiffin16
    Options
    Kent Cass said:

Workplace
    Around 70 people where I work, with all but three being men, I was amazed at how nice everyone was to me when I returned to work in May of 09. I was still struggling mightily, then. But then came the 17% rise in insurance premiums in March of this year, and it seems some attitudes towards me have changed. Handful of them regularly say things they know will tick me off. And the staring by a couple of them is over-the-top rude. And, two in management clearly want me gone from the place. Lotta in-fighting amongst the workers, though, that has gone on for all of the 16-years I've worked there, so one learns to take things in stride- though it does get a bit tricky when one in upper-management gets on my case. Major stressful- to the point of realizing the bad things I could leave behind by quitting the job, rather than being "let go," for no good reason.

Was working with my tongue in my mouth the other day as I walked past a worker running a job he didn't like. "What are you smiling about?" he asked, inferring that I was laughing at him having to run the job. "Ain't no big deal, Joe. Just Cancer," was my response, then walked away.

kcass

Know What You Mean...
    I work for a local governmental utility which is self insured. Like everything else, our insurance is going up as well. In meetings to help justify the higher premiums for this year they refer to the unexpected costs from last year. I always feel that I was a big contributor to that.

But at the same time, it seems the ones that have the most problem with rising costs have only worked her for 10 years or less. The way that I see it, I've worked here for 21 years, have paid for insurance every pay check, and still have over 900 hours of sick time on the books. Other than having a knee scoped a few years ago, I've never used our insurance.

So with that, I don't really feel that I'm undeserving, I've paid my dues through time and monetarily.

JG
  • micktissue
    micktissue Member Posts: 430
    Options
    no joke
    Guy at the car lot: "So you had throat cancer ... um, hey you want some coffee?"
    Me: No thanks. Can't swallow because of the treatment.
    Guy at the car lot: "Oh wow really, man that sucks. How can you breathe?"
    Me: "Um, esophagus is for nutrition and hydration, trachea is for air"
    Guy at the car lot: "It is? Wow I guess you learn a lot when you get sick"

Woman at relay for life: "Can't swallow? I am so sorry. Would you like some strawberries? They're an anti-cancer food"
    Me: "Um, no thanks, I can't swallow them. I blend everything and it all goes in here (shows PEG)"
    Woman at relay for life: "Oh, sorry. What about some flavored water? You can taste that can't you?"
    Me: "Yeah, taste is not the problem, it's swallowing ..."
    Woman at relay for life: "Oh, what about pudding"
    Me: "In the tube it's no problem"
    Woman at relay for life: "But can you taste it?"
    Me: "Um, no, that's a function of the taste buds. My g tube doesn't have taste buds."
    Woman at relay for life: "What if you just tried harder to swallow?"
    Me: "My gosh, look at the time ..."
  • sweetblood22
    sweetblood22 Member Posts: 3,228
    Options

no joke
    Guy at the car lot: "So you had throat cancer ... um, hey you want some coffee?"

Woman at relay for life: "Can't swallow? I am so sorry. Would you like some strawberries? They're an anti-cancer food"
    Me: "Um, no thanks, I can't swallow them. I blend everything and it all goes in here (shows PEG)"
    Woman at relay for life: "Oh, sorry. What about some flavored water? You can taste that can't you?"
    Me: "Um, no, that's a function of the taste buds. My g tube doesn't have taste buds."

Oh em geee!
    I am sad to say i've heard some of the same from people here.

The what if you tried harder comment, I really wish I had a dollar for every time I heard that. OR the other one that I want to smack people when they say it is, "maybe it's all in your head. Maybe it's a mental thing. "
    Honestly! Are you kidding me? Yeah I went without any food or drink for five months because it was all in my head. Those mouth sores, made them all up. Oh, that must not be my mouth bleeding I apparently thought that up too. Oh, that big hunk of skin that came off the roof of my mouth, yeah that was just something I made up in my head. Figment of imagination. U just think you saw that happen.

Or they say, "maybe if you just relaxed you could swallow. Maybe you are trying to hard. " Huh?

I have had people ask if I could taste what I put thru the tube.

Or they try and tell me that they understand what I went thru because they had some kind of painful dental proceedure. Yah. Nope you have no clue. I had a tongue biopsy and seven teeth pulled at once. They both sucked but not even close to the pain I was in after rads.

I had a friend that was very upset that she had to have an MRI , on her knee. She was very upset about it and I was trying to be supportive. I tried to tell her that she'd be ok. I was trying hard to be understanding. She then started crying cause she had to have this scan a second time. I was fine until she said, "but you don't understand how claustriphobic it is". Uhm. Ya. I do. I reminded her I had two CT Scans, a PET and was bolted down to a table for 30 rads. Didn't seem to register. I finally had to say I had to go and hung up. I couldn't stand one more, "but you don't understand how awful....". Mind you we have an open MRI you can go to in Williamsport. Suck it up.
  • Donna70
    Donna70 Member Posts: 852 Member
    Options

Oh em geee!
    I am sad to say i've heard some of the same from people here.

The what if you tried harder comment, I really wish I had a dollar for every time I heard that. OR the other one that I want to smack people when they say it is, "maybe it's all in your head. Maybe it's a mental thing. "
    Honestly! Are you kidding me? Yeah I went without any food or drink for five months because it was all in my head. Those mouth sores, made them all up. Oh, that must not be my mouth bleeding I apparently thought that up too. Oh, that big hunk of skin that came off the roof of my mouth, yeah that was just something I made up in my head. Figment of imagination. U just think you saw that happen.

Or they say, "maybe if you just relaxed you could swallow. Maybe you are trying to hard. " Huh?

I have had people ask if I could taste what I put thru the tube.

Or they try and tell me that they understand what I went thru because they had some kind of painful dental proceedure. Yah. Nope you have no clue. I had a tongue biopsy and seven teeth pulled at once. They both sucked but not even close to the pain I was in after rads.

I had a friend that was very upset that she had to have an MRI , on her knee. She was very upset about it and I was trying to be supportive. I tried to tell her that she'd be ok. I was trying hard to be understanding. She then started crying cause she had to have this scan a second time. I was fine until she said, "but you don't understand how claustriphobic it is". Uhm. Ya. I do. I reminded her I had two CT Scans, a PET and was bolted down to a table for 30 rads. Didn't seem to register. I finally had to say I had to go and hung up. I couldn't stand one more, "but you don't understand how awful....". Mind you we have an open MRI you can go to in Williamsport. Suck it up.

love these comments
    Hi,
    I am a lurker from EC board but I love this thread. An inlaw during her 2 visits this year before my total esophagectomy told me she was never getting cancer because she is positive and just by thinking that way she won't get it. She repeated this to me several times each of the visit and the last visit added that my husband was not going to get cancer and neither of his 2 cousins. Amazing positive thinking??? like I thought I wanted to have the body of a diced up deer. Then when I expressed fear that my husband would be very upset to see me after surgery because of the way I would look, she thought I meant I would look tired!!!! No 6 tubes would be coming out of different holes and the ng one would be sewed into my nose. Yikes!! I did look terrible and in my family with our wonderful sick humor I proceeded to tell people after surgery I looked just like my Aunt, after she was dead. We laughed but got a lot of stares. Also, someone mentioned staring. Well first time without my wig, a hospital worker did a number on me staring at me as I walked by her. She was dressed nicely too??? Thanks for the laughs!! some people are idiots but luckily they dont know it.
    Donna70
  • sweetblood22
    sweetblood22 Member Posts: 3,228
    Options
    Donna70 said:

love these comments
    Hi,
    I am a lurker from EC board but I love this thread. An inlaw during her 2 visits this year before my total esophagectomy told me she was never getting cancer because she is positive and just by thinking that way she won't get it. She repeated this to me several times each of the visit and the last visit added that my husband was not going to get cancer and neither of his 2 cousins. Amazing positive thinking??? like I thought I wanted to have the body of a diced up deer. Then when I expressed fear that my husband would be very upset to see me after surgery because of the way I would look, she thought I meant I would look tired!!!! No 6 tubes would be coming out of different holes and the ng one would be sewed into my nose. Yikes!! I did look terrible and in my family with our wonderful sick humor I proceeded to tell people after surgery I looked just like my Aunt, after she was dead. We laughed but got a lot of stares. Also, someone mentioned staring. Well first time without my wig, a hospital worker did a number on me staring at me as I walked by her. She was dressed nicely too??? Thanks for the laughs!! some people are idiots but luckily they dont know it.
    Donna70

Some people are idiots, but luckily they don't know it.
    Donna, glad you came out of lurking to post. That last statement made me laugh so hard my lunch came out my nose.
  • patricke
    patricke Member Posts: 570
    Options
    Kent Cass said:

Workplace

kcass

CONSIDER THE SOURCE
    Hey Kent,

I'm a big believer in considering the source of idiot comments, especially at work, which it sounds like is what you are doing. It's easy for people to blame us for increases in insurance premiums, when, in fact, they will go up regardless of who has had what kind of treatment. The blamers, must not pay much attention to the economic news, especially in regard to the insurance industry constantly increasing everyone's rates. At any rate, I know that it is stressful to work in an inhospitable environment (been there), but keep your eyes on the prize (as they say), and don't let them win.

PATRICK
  • Hondo
    Hondo Member Posts: 6,636 Member
    Options
    Skiffin16 said:

Know What You Mean...
    I work for a local governmental utility which is self insured. Like everything else, our insurance is going up as well. In meetings to help justify the higher premiums for this year they refer to the unexpected costs from last year. I always feel that I was a big contributor to that.

But at the same time, it seems the ones that have the most problem with rising costs have only worked her for 10 years or less. The way that I see it, I've worked here for 21 years, have paid for insurance every pay check, and still have over 900 hours of sick time on the books. Other than having a knee scoped a few years ago, I've never used our insurance.

So with that, I don't really feel that I'm undeserving, I've paid my dues through time and monetarily.

JG

John
    Same here I works here for 20 years and I paid my dues every check
  • susan0803
    susan0803 Member Posts: 90
    Options

Some people are idiots, but luckily they don't know it.
    Donna, glad you came out of lurking to post. That last statement made me laugh so hard my lunch came out my nose.

laughter
    Who would have thought that reading messages on a cancer site discussion board would make me laugh and smile, but it did. These posts were hilarious and we all know laughter is a cure for a lot of things. It just feels good to laugh out loud (with my kids wondering what I am laughing at), and crying the next minute when I start dwelling on things too much. All of this making the journey to hell easier to deal with knowing we are not alone and never will be! (Added benefit for me reading this chain is how I can be more sensitive to other people in the future too)

Thanks sooo much.
    Suzanne

PS - Sweetblood - saw you were gaining weight now! That's awsome news, but sounds like maybe you shouldn't laugh while you are eating - don't waste those precious calories :-)
  • dennis318
    dennis318 Member Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    susan0803 said:

laughter
    Who would have thought that reading messages on a cancer site discussion board would make me laugh and smile, but it did. These posts were hilarious and we all know laughter is a cure for a lot of things. It just feels good to laugh out loud (with my kids wondering what I am laughing at), and crying the next minute when I start dwelling on things too much. All of this making the journey to hell easier to deal with knowing we are not alone and never will be! (Added benefit for me reading this chain is how I can be more sensitive to other people in the future too)

Thanks sooo much.
    Suzanne

PS - Sweetblood - saw you were gaining weight now! That's awsome news, but sounds like maybe you shouldn't laugh while you are eating - don't waste those precious calories :-)

I Love everyones Comments
    The Trache I had was obvious,an air leaking device covered by my hankerchief, I 've seen a few comment on these and yes it does make you feel different, my heart goes out to those who have to use any devices, it was the prayers, you can hardly see a PVC pipe hanging from my neck, Will it be there permanetly, I like the ones who would say they relatives hade one and never ever noticed it...Believe, if you ever sneeze at the grovery store, please make sure everything is secure, you'll lose you pipe in ailse 3, 2, or 1 depending how much pressure is behind it. The Doctors are just as suportive, it looks fine, you go home and try eating a steak, start in the morning, you might have half of it gone my Supper, or a mucus attack in public, and everyone wants to get away from you as fast as possible...I love sweets comments, all true and right to the point, And you wonder why I fight my doctor in having mine put back in, I'll learn to live with the negatives, of breathing hard, than having another hole. One more comment, I had to go back last week, no cancer, everything looks good, I told the 2 doctor interns, I was here to see where the CD changer could be installed, in my bottom, I used other terms which I enlightened them, and was told I needed stress management by my cancer doctor...LMAO..Later Guys. Dennis
  • Skiffin16
    Options

no joke

MICK ~ Taste Questions
    LOL, I have a friend, but sometimes, I think he's a little dense, OK maybe more than a little....

For several weeks while going through treatment, we seemed to have one conversation that always revolved around taste, or my lack of....

He'd go through an entire grocery list of foods asking me if I could taste them...

He couldn't quite comprehend that I couldn't taste anything...and if by chance I could taste something, it just tasted bad, even water tasted like sweat...

JG
  • friend of Bill
    friend of Bill Member Posts: 87
    Options
    Oh, and then my barber said:
    "dang, the first time I saw you I thought I was going lose a customer." Thanks, Joe.

Vince