The @#$%! insurance company

Options

Comments

• KayNYC
    KayNYC Member Posts: 495 Member
    Options

Whenever you have a problem
    Whenever you have a problem with an insurance company, especially like being turned over to collections, you need to copy your state Department of Insurance with your complaint. They will immediately contact the insurance company and demand an explanation--with very strict time limitations. If the insurance company fails to adequately or timely respond, they are fined and can even risk losing their license to do business in the state. Every state has one and believe me, the insurance claim examiners and their bosses pay attention. Usually the highest ranking individual in any given claims office keeps tabs on those complaints and makes sure they are answered.

I'm a firm believer in complimenting good behavior/service, but I copy every agency and watchdog I can when I have a major complaint. TV, newspapers. This is Breast Cancer Awareness Month----great time to call your local TV station to tell them what you're dealing with.

Thanks Chickadee
    I am contacting the state department of Insurance tomrorrw about this manner. I don't blame my insurance company but rather the biling methods at the hospital. No one seems to be accountable...
    Hugs,K
  • cahjah75
    cahjah75 Member Posts: 2,631
    Options
    John_32 said:

No. Yesterday was our second wedding anniversary, and I called her father's cell phone to try and reach her and say happy anniversary but he hung up on me before I could get more than three words out. Ontario mailed out a copy of the wedding certificate finally, so I should have it any day now, and then I will immediately go up to Canada and visit her in the hospital without obstruction. Her parents actually had her name removed from the hospital registry, so i have no way of knowing if she is still there, but I have to try.

John
    wishing you the best in your search. I hope she's still there when you have the proof of your marriage.
    Char
  • shy violet
    shy violet Member Posts: 167
    Options

yes, working on all of that
    Spoke to my Social Worker at the hospital and she gave me the number of the pharmacutical (sp) and so I will call them. Not sure about the generic brand but thanks for the info.

My mother in law lives in France and has had no problem with any medical costs. They do have the right idea, less stress so a person can get better with the care and meds they need.

R

Rosey, you probably saw me
    Rosey, you probably saw me post a zillion times on this...I was amazed to see how far ahead in knowledge and research France is over us. I am alive only because a thoracic onc surgeon studied in France and came became interested in combining his field with bc...makes sense because a lot of us have chest wall involvement. Without him, because the cancer is in the chest wall I was marked inoperable...so I wish there would be more cross over sharing with the different areas of cancer...
  • shy violet
    Options
    John_32 said:

If you are going to "make
    If you are going to "make fun" of an entire health care system, used in countries throughout the modern world, that guarantees healthcare to millions of people, especially the poor or lower income, who would not otherwise have healthcare, with a passing observation about taxes by a Swedish neighbor of yours, then yes, I am at least going to correct the spelling in which you attempt to do so. You *might* not be convinced of my view that all human beings, regardless of economic status, should have equal access to healthcare, but it seems I have at least convinced you of the correct spelling of *might*. It's a much smaller victory, but a step toward progress.

John, Enough already...I
    John, please stop the petty comments to Skeezie. I enjoy coming here because it is a safe place to tackle difficult issues such as insurance and healthcare. I always learn something on this board...I know you have benefitted directly and have received many ideas to help with your wife and your mom. We understand how difficult this journey can be and will continue to support you and pray for you...just please play nice....
  • Lighthouse_7
    Lighthouse_7 Member Posts: 1,566 Member
    Options

John, Enough already...I
    John, please stop the petty comments to Skeezie. I enjoy coming here because it is a safe place to tackle difficult issues such as insurance and healthcare. I always learn something on this board...I know you have benefitted directly and have received many ideas to help with your wife and your mom. We understand how difficult this journey can be and will continue to support you and pray for you...just please play nice....

Skeezie and John,
    Sorry that

Skeezie and John,
    Sorry that I ranted and this is probably my fault. Sometimes I just get angry when it hits home. I said that I wouldn't answer anyone who disagreed with me because the last thing I want to do is fight here. I love this board, but I feel like I have to say that John didn't start this.
    The very bold title addressed to me was from Skeezie, but I chose not to answer it.
  • pscheer
    pscheer Member Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Wow! I hate that you are
    Wow! I hate that you are going through this. I feel the same way about work and putting up with stuff just to be sure we keep our insurance. I hope that the hospital will be fighting to get paid and will be able to resolve this. The Lance Armstrong Foundation helps with issues of insurance denials. I hope this info helps. I found myself fighting to get my nausea drug filled after chemo. They said I could only get it every 30 days, but my chemo was every 21 days! I had a co-worker who went without her drugs because she was just too sick too argue.
  • New Flower
    New Flower Member Posts: 4,294
    Options
    pscheer said:

Wow! I hate that you are
    Wow! I hate that you are going through this. I feel the same way about work and putting up with stuff just to be sure we keep our insurance. I hope that the hospital will be fighting to get paid and will be able to resolve this. The Lance Armstrong Foundation helps with issues of insurance denials. I hope this info helps. I found myself fighting to get my nausea drug filled after chemo. They said I could only get it every 30 days, but my chemo was every 21 days! I had a co-worker who went without her drugs because she was just too sick too argue.

$I can totally understand since I have been in similar situation
    in similar situation. Yesterday I received a letter from my insurance Regence Cross Blue Shield of Utah (Blue Shield of California) stating that they found an error or/and overpayment to my healthcare provider(s)and asking me to pay back $64,900.84 to my insurance. It is funny? I have to appeal. Hahaha
    New Flower
  • John_32
    John_32 Member Posts: 71
    Options

$I can totally understand since I have been in similar situation
    in similar situation. Yesterday I received a letter from my insurance Regence Cross Blue Shield of Utah (Blue Shield of California) stating that they found an error or/and overpayment to my healthcare provider(s)and asking me to pay back $64,900.84 to my insurance. It is funny? I have to appeal. Hahaha
    New Flower

Actually, a lot of what this
    Actually, a lot of what this site is about is exchanging useful information, and so when I see someone perpetuating misinformation about a superior healthcare system in Canada based on risible tabloid articles or twice-removed hearsay, I find it kind of offensive. I actually have extensive first-hand experience with the Canadian health system, as a result of my wife's 2-year battle with breast cancer, and I find these statements about it just embarrassing. My wife did not ever have to wait "six months for an MRI." Any number of the scans she has had in this process have always occurred either within hours or a couple of days of being ordered--no different than the best hospitals in New York, with which I am also familiar. The only meaningful difference is that, had she been in the American system, she wouldn't have had ANY scans EVER because we had both lost our jobs right before she was diagnosed and she wouldn't have had ANY health insurance. Unfortunately, there is no cure for cancer, and her condition has massively deteriorated, but she would never even have had a CHANCE of surviving in her circumstances if she were not Canadian. So please do not tell me "enough." I am tired of people who know absolutely nothing about what they are talking about in regards to nationalized healthcare systems pontificating like experts, and drawing attention to the severe misspelling of a pretty basic word was not to be petty but to underscore the lack of confidence one might have in the purported statements about Canadian or European healthcare--I actually wish more time was spent addressing the pretty serious point I made rather than obsessing about a spelling correction. Also, to correct another blatant falsehood in the original post about Canada, the current Ontario (provincial PLUS federal) sales tax is 13%, not 18% and up. Of course, this is a free country and I have no problem with people disagreeing with me about nationalized health insurance, but I don't appreciate this spreading of misinformation that undermines people ever really becoming informed about this issue and real progress ever happening. So if I see something that is false or just a grotesque generalization--e.g., "the government screws up every program they have" (Really? That moon-landing thing wasn't too impressive? Down with social security, police, firefighters, the military, public universities, civil rights legislation, running water, etc., etc.?)--I am going to call it out, and if it's badly spelled as well, I'm going to mention that too. I have zero animosity in any of this, but I am deeply frustrated by the fear and ignorance that is being employed more and more in this country these days to obstruct real social progress, including in a deeply flawed healthcare system that is resulting in disadvantaged or powerless people needlessly dying.
  • shy violet
    Options
    John_32 said:

Actually, a lot of what this
    Actually, a lot of what this site is about is exchanging useful information, and so when I see someone perpetuating misinformation about a superior healthcare system in Canada based on risible tabloid articles or twice-removed hearsay, I find it kind of offensive. I actually have extensive first-hand experience with the Canadian health system, as a result of my wife's 2-year battle with breast cancer, and I find these statements about it just embarrassing. My wife did not ever have to wait "six months for an MRI." Any number of the scans she has had in this process have always occurred either within hours or a couple of days of being ordered--no different than the best hospitals in New York, with which I am also familiar. The only meaningful difference is that, had she been in the American system, she wouldn't have had ANY scans EVER because we had both lost our jobs right before she was diagnosed and she wouldn't have had ANY health insurance. Unfortunately, there is no cure for cancer, and her condition has massively deteriorated, but she would never even have had a CHANCE of surviving in her circumstances if she were not Canadian. So please do not tell me "enough." I am tired of people who know absolutely nothing about what they are talking about in regards to nationalized healthcare systems pontificating like experts, and drawing attention to the severe misspelling of a pretty basic word was not to be petty but to underscore the lack of confidence one might have in the purported statements about Canadian or European healthcare--I actually wish more time was spent addressing the pretty serious point I made rather than obsessing about a spelling correction. Also, to correct another blatant falsehood in the original post about Canada, the current Ontario (provincial PLUS federal) sales tax is 13%, not 18% and up. Of course, this is a free country and I have no problem with people disagreeing with me about nationalized health insurance, but I don't appreciate this spreading of misinformation that undermines people ever really becoming informed about this issue and real progress ever happening. So if I see something that is false or just a grotesque generalization--e.g., "the government screws up every program they have" (Really? That moon-landing thing wasn't too impressive? Down with social security, police, firefighters, the military, public universities, civil rights legislation, running water, etc., etc.?)--I am going to call it out, and if it's badly spelled as well, I'm going to mention that too. I have zero animosity in any of this, but I am deeply frustrated by the fear and ignorance that is being employed more and more in this country these days to obstruct real social progress, including in a deeply flawed healthcare system that is resulting in disadvantaged or powerless people needlessly dying.

John, if you are going to
    John, if you are going to mention spelling errors I hope that you will remember people like me...I have great difficulty using my hand and arm because of multiple bc surgeries and sometimes using slang spelling or having typos has sadly become a part of what we have to deal with...also after so much chemo words don't always come out right...
    Your opinion is always welcome...and so are those of others...but please remember this is our safe place...and if we have physical limitations or just feel like shortcuts here or there, it is okay and should not be challenged...sharing thoughts and experiences is important, but also please remember compassion and being kind to others...
  • survives
    survives Member Posts: 254 Member
    Options

John, if you are going to mention spelling errors I hope that you will remember people like me...I have great difficulty using my hand and arm because of multiple bc surgeries and sometimes using slang spelling or having typos has sadly become a part of what we have to deal with...also after so much chemo words don't always come out right...
    Your opinion is always welcome...and so are those of others...but please remember this is our safe place...and if we have physical limitations or just feel like shortcuts here or there, it is okay and should not be challenged...sharing thoughts and experiences is important, but also please remember compassion and being kind to others...

BREATHE!!!!
    Just breathe, people!! Stop the bickering and let's get back to the point.

Ok, do you have a Liason within your insurance you can turn too. I have used mine once, and it did get things turned around. Of course, I'm within a group, not private.

At any rate, contact your hospital, your doctor, the hospital's social workers, and let's get this figured out. This is what the scarey part is in all the "change". No, we won't discuss that HERE.

Also, Arimidex and Aromasin are NOT the same. They are both AI's, but different drugs. So, I guess I'm saying that they are the same, but different. Just like diabetes meds are the same, but different.

Ok, crabby me is off for a follow up to a follow up.

Deep breathes and group hugs everyone.
    Jennifer
  • Marcia527
    Marcia527 Member Posts: 2,729
    Options
    survives said:

BREATHE!!!!
    Just breathe, people!! Stop the bickering and let's get back to the point.

Ok, do you have a Liason within your insurance you can turn too. I have used mine once, and it did get things turned around. Of course, I'm within a group, not private.

At any rate, contact your hospital, your doctor, the hospital's social workers, and let's get this figured out. This is what the scarey part is in all the "change". No, we won't discuss that HERE.

Also, Arimidex and Aromasin are NOT the same. They are both AI's, but different drugs. So, I guess I'm saying that they are the same, but different. Just like diabetes meds are the same, but different.

Ok, crabby me is off for a follow up to a follow up.

Deep breathes and group hugs everyone.
    Jennifer

Yeah, I said they were the
    Yeah, I said they were the same not meaning exactly the same but usually oncs will use one or the other if one doesn't work so I just simplified the statement. I meant if Arimidex is generic her doc might be willing to switch to it for the savings rather than stay on Aromasin which she couldn't afford.
  • John_32
    Options

I am more than happy to
    I am more than happy to share my experience in both the US and Canada so people can open their eyes about this issue. Some very serious issues have been raised, and others in this thread have even said they are currently going without their prescribed cancer medication because it is too expensive. I am very concerned about people in that position and sensitive to what they are going through. Maybe others are not, and that's pretty sad. I wrote to correct the mischaracterizations about health insurance (and taxes) in Canada.
  • AMomNETN
    AMomNETN Member Posts: 242
    Options
    John_32 said:

I am more than happy to
    I am more than happy to share my experience in both the US and Canada so people can open their eyes about this issue. Some very serious issues have been raised, and others in this thread have even said they are currently going without their prescribed cancer medication because it is too expensive. I am very concerned about people in that position and sensitive to what they are going through. Maybe others are not, and that's pretty sad. I wrote to correct the mischaracterizations about health insurance (and taxes) in Canada.

Not The Place
    This is really not the place to debate healthcare. Yes, we all want to see changes but noone can agree on what. We have to deal with what we have, like it or not. Insurance copanies can pretty much do what they please. We just need good info on how to correct the things they do. I've had my own problems with it as most of us have in one way or another. We don't need the hassle but we can deal with it when we have to. This is only my opinion which like rear-ends, we all have one.

Janie
  • Rague
    Rague Member Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    John_32 said:

I am more than happy to

IF Canada is so perfect, why
    I do PERSONALLY know Canadians who were denied care in Canada for a prolonged period of time that would definately have inpacted their quality of life (or even life) had they not been able to get to the States for care.

'Everything' may not be/isn't perfect here - BUT it isn't perfect anywhere!

God Bless.

Susan
  • John_32
    Options
    Rague said:

IF Canada is so perfect, why
    I do PERSONALLY know Canadians who were denied care in Canada for a prolonged period of time that would definately have inpacted their quality of life (or even life) had they not been able to get to the States for care.

'Everything' may not be/isn't perfect here - BUT it isn't perfect anywhere!

God Bless.

Susan

I didn't say Canada had a
    I didn't say Canada had a "perfect" system, so like the other person, you are engaging in a gross mischaracterization, as you are with this notion that Canadians are fleeing across the border because they can't get healthcare in their own country. I said it had a "superior" system. Nothing is perfect. But a system that guarantees as a right of citizenship free quality healthcare to everyone is without question superior to one that does not. And if my mother and I were citizens of Canada I would bring her up there for treatment in a heartbeat, I assure you.
  • New Flower
    New Flower Member Posts: 4,294
    Options
    John_32 said:

I didn't say Canada had a "perfect" system, so like the other person, you are engaging in a gross mischaracterization, as you are with this notion that Canadians are fleeing across the border because they can't get healthcare in their own country. I said it had a "superior" system. Nothing is perfect. But a system that guarantees as a right of citizenship free quality healthcare to everyone is without question superior to one that does not. And if my mother and I were citizens of Canada I would bring her up there for treatment in a heartbeat, I assure you.

I think discussion getting ugly
    it is a very ugly discussion you guys have been going through. I am surprised and upset in the same time, when read it during my lunch.
    The healthcare system is broken and you have not faced it yourself yet, i am sorry to say that you will. Cancer is a very long disease, requiring a constant medical care even you are in remission and doing well with NED. Forever you are having pre-existing conditions which will limit your access to coverage. Do not forget Life time maximum which for my plan is $2,000,000 almost gone for the first two years since BC diagnosis.
    I have been dealing with my insurance for 2 years now and when we through it is over and completely resolved I got a letter stating that I have to pay $65,000.00 back to my insurance which somehow overpaid to the hospital.
    Unfortunately they are all together: insurance, which looking for a bottom line receiving premiums and denying coverage, hospitals which are charging $100.0 for saline solution and pharmaceutical companies, which working on treatments but dismiss prevention and serious side effects.
    I am really happy for those sisters which are going through this journey without financial problems and serious obstacles on the way to fight against cancer and and beating it.

New Flower
  • Rague
    Rague Member Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    John_32 said:

Perhaps you did not use the
    Perhaps you did not use the word "perfect" but you inferred it. 'Superior' though does say that it is the best. Sorry it isn't - in some case at some times perhap BUT not in all cases. I did not say that all are having to run out of Canada to get treatment - but the people that I PERSONALLY know (not off of TV ads or commercial or many hands removed stories but actually know them - we lived within a few miles of the Canadian bourder for years) had to to maintain their quality of life.

Canada does give care to non-citizens - A very dear friend (American) was competeing there and injured - she was given care free for the initial injury but was told that she was lucky to be going back to the States as she needed further care to allow her to be competative again and had she been Canadian it would be at leas 18 months before she would qualify for the surgery needed at that time to return her to close to her pre-injury ability. Thankfully she is still competeing (Internationally) thanks to the care she got in the USA.

ALL Canadians certainly aren't "fleeing across the border" not can all that would like to BUT there certainly are those who can that do.

I am sorry that you are so frustrated with the issues you are dealing with - BUT ignorantly attacking others is not the way to handle your problems.

May God Bless you and yours!
  • John_32
    Options
    Rague said:

Perhaps you did not use the
    Perhaps you did not use the word "perfect" but you inferred it. 'Superior' though does say that it is the best. Sorry it isn't - in some case at some times perhap BUT not in all cases. I did not say that all are having to run out of Canada to get treatment - but the people that I PERSONALLY know (not off of TV ads or commercial or many hands removed stories but actually know them - we lived within a few miles of the Canadian bourder for years) had to to maintain their quality of life.

Canada does give care to non-citizens - A very dear friend (American) was competeing there and injured - she was given care free for the initial injury but was told that she was lucky to be going back to the States as she needed further care to allow her to be competative again and had she been Canadian it would be at leas 18 months before she would qualify for the surgery needed at that time to return her to close to her pre-injury ability. Thankfully she is still competeing (Internationally) thanks to the care she got in the USA.

ALL Canadians certainly aren't "fleeing across the border" not can all that would like to BUT there certainly are those who can that do.

I am sorry that you are so frustrated with the issues you are dealing with - BUT ignorantly attacking others is not the way to handle your problems.

May God Bless you and yours!

I just realized that someone
    I just realized that someone has "flagged as offensive" every post I have written, including one where I merely thanked somebody for passing along a website where I can apply to get Arimidex for my mother at no cost. People should be able to post on this site something other than blonde jokes, pie recipes, or hugging emoticons without being censored as offensive. That's so abusive. This is a discussion forum about issues pertaining to breast cancer, and among the myriad issues is access to treatment. If you want to contest that statement, be my guest, but this "flag as offensive"--which I'm sure is what you'll do to this post as well--is so pathetic. Life does not come with a "flag as offensive" button, and if you are really someone who has dealt with cancer on some level in your life, I might have thought you would have realized that by now.
  • survives
    survives Member Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    John_32 said:

I just realized that someone has "flagged as offensive" every post I have written, including one where I merely thanked somebody for passing along a website where I can apply to get Arimidex for my mother at no cost. People should be able to post on this site something other than blonde jokes, pie recipes, or hugging emoticons without being censored as offensive. That's so abusive. This is a discussion forum about issues pertaining to breast cancer, and among the myriad issues is access to treatment. If you want to contest that statement, be my guest, but this "flag as offensive"--which I'm sure is what you'll do to this post as well--is so pathetic. Life does not come with a "flag as offensive" button, and if you are really someone who has dealt with cancer on some level in your life, I might have thought you would have realized that by now.

Well, John---
    Go back and read the post above yours. It says it all beautifully. And, you're still being obnoxious. I didn't tag your posts. Some have asked not to discuss politics here...you kept on. Several have asked that you back down, and you won't. Can the word "retaliation" be said here? Maybe. But, you have been ugly, especially about the crack smoking and now book burning. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, who's REALLY not listening.
  • AMomNETN
    AMomNETN Member Posts: 242
    Options
    John_32 said:

Rude
    John,

I'm sorry but this last post is way out of line. We are surviors who share what we need to share be it a blonde joke, pie recipes, or vent about insurance. This is not the forum to dicuss HealthCare Reform. All of us on this site know we need reform however we may differ on what it needed. Some of us have been lucky with insurance and others have been screwed. Your ideas while valid encompass more than just breast cancer treatment. If someone found your posts as offensive then they have the right to report it. Don't go off and a tangent and add book burning or anything else like that to you comments.

Janie