City of Hope

Options
Edward W
Edward W Member Posts: 30
edited March 2014 in Esophageal Cancer #1
I just want to post a message to give folks with Esophageal cancer hope. I was diagnosed Jan 2000 with stage four Esophageal cancer. Underwent Chemo and Radiation together at the same time at an out of city clinic. Then there was surgery and therapy at City of Hope MC in Duarte, CA,
World class Doctors and Nurses....

Comments

• linda1120
    linda1120 Member Posts: 389
    Options
    City of Hope
    Thank you for posting this. My husband was just diagnosed and we are going through the chemo and radiation now. Surgery is in the future. We wonder if we should stay at home or go to another hospital. I will look into City of Hope.
  • This comment has been removed by the Moderator
  • HeartofSoul
    HeartofSoul Member Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    Im glad you have been given
    Im glad you have been given excellent care by City of Hope. I live about an hr south of City of Hope and in Sept 2008 i called them first to be seen for my newly dx cancer. I spoke to a nurse and she went to talk to a medical oncolgist about my case. In about 3 hrs, i heard from the nurse at City of Hope and she said DR's passed on me and to go elsewhere. I had same cancer as Lance Armstrong stage 3 non-seminoma embryonal grade 3 with met to several lymph nodes and lungs and almost in liver. I never knew why I was passed over (i had PPO United Health Care med ins which would have authorized my treatment there)but i will never forget their response to me. Im now in remission since dec
    2008 and it took 3 DR opinions to find the right center and DR. Its strange how things workout
  • Im glad you have been given
    Im glad you have been given excellent care by City of Hope. I live about an hr south of City of Hope and in Sept 2008 i called them first to be seen for my newly dx cancer. I spoke to a nurse and she went to talk to a medical oncolgist about my case. In about 3 hrs, i heard from the nurse at City of Hope and she said DR's passed on me and to go elsewhere. I had same cancer as Lance Armstrong stage 3 non-seminoma embryonal grade 3 with met to several lymph nodes and lungs and almost in liver. I never knew why I was passed over (i had PPO United Health Care med ins which would have authorized my treatment there)but i will never forget their response to me. Im now in remission since dec
    2008 and it took 3 DR opinions to find the right center and DR. Its strange how things workout

This comment has been removed by the Moderator
  • Edward W
    Options
    unknown said:

William Thank you for your reply.
    I would like to post here what City of Hope did so that all can read and know. They removed my entire esophagus. A tube was made using my stomach and sewn to the upper part where the esophagus was removed from.
    I had a J-tube inserted and fed via for four months. My darling wife was there all that time to refill the reservoir every four hours. I am a Blessed man I thank GOD, City of Hope and last but not least my wife. If she had not forced me to go to the doctor and have a difficulty swallowing problem checked out, I would not be writing this today. Oh BTW I am 72 years young
  • Edward W
    Options
    linda1120 said:

City of Hope
    Thank you for posting this. My husband was just diagnosed and we are going through the chemo and radiation now. Surgery is in the future. We wonder if we should stay at home or go to another hospital. I will look into City of Hope.

City of Hope
    I hope you forgive me for not answering sooner but I have been traveling. Yes, by commercial aircraft. So you see it is not only possible to beat this but after recovery you can feel well enough to travel. It takes a while to get back to where you feel half way human you can do it. I am 72 and made one flight to Hawaii since my cancer and now this recent flight.
    Keep in touch and let me know how your husband is doing
  • Edward W
    Options
    linda1120 said:

City of Hope

City of Hope
    I hope you forgive me for not answering sooner but I have been traveling. Yes, by commercial aircraft. So you see it is not only possible to beat this but after recovery you can feel well enough to travel. It takes a while to get back to where you feel half way human you can do it. I am 72 and made one flight to Hawaii since my cancer and now this recent flight.
  • Edward W
    Options
    linda1120 said:

City of Hope

City of Hope
  • Edward W said:

William Thank you for your reply.
    I would like to post here what City of Hope did so that all can read and know. They removed my entire esophagus. A tube was made using my stomach and sewn to the upper part where the esophagus was removed from.
    I had a J-tube inserted and fed via for four months. My darling wife was there all that time to refill the reservoir every four hours. I am a Blessed man I thank GOD, City of Hope and last but not least my wife. If she had not forced me to go to the doctor and have a difficulty swallowing problem checked out, I would not be writing this today. Oh BTW I am 72 years young

• Edward W
    Options
    unknown said:

Hey William. This is going
    Hey William. This is going to quick. The J tube was inserted after the surgery ), I had two pints of blood and yes I lost a lot of weight (61 #)I also lost my appetite and didn't want to eat'
    The return to "normalcy" was about 11 months. I(* never heard of Stage IV b.) My doctor said It was Stage IV and the only reason that he operated was because I was in good enough health to survive the surgery.
    Not sure what you mean about dilations.
    Will write more later got to scoot right now.....
  • Edward W
    Options
    unknown said:

Hey William. This is going
    Hey William. This is going to quick. The J tube was inserted after the surgery ), I had two pints of blood and yes I lost a lot of weight (61 #)I also lost my appetite and didn't want to eat'
    The return to "normalcy" was about 11 months. I(* never heard of Stage IV b.) My doctor said It was Stage IV and the only reason that he operated was because I was in good enough health to survive the surgery.
    Not sure what you mean about dilations.
    Will write more later got to scoot right now.....
  • Edward W
    Options
    unknown said:

Pre -op meds
    William . I had Radiation and Chemo together, at the same time. And believe me it knocked me on my butt. However, I there was one thing that was in the back of my mind. I didn't believe that I was going to die from this cancer thing. I felt that it was just the usual treatment and that I would recover. Yes I went through the horror stories that you hear about. And yes I have to confess there were times when times when I wanted to end it. The conflicting emotions were definetely there. But again we turn to look at the care givers/family members. Besides my wonderful wife, there were my beautiful daughters. The comfort they gave was very helpful. And besides, they are too sweet to leave.
    But enough about me for now. How about you ? Tell me how you are doing ? I hope you are not going to give up . Never give up, William . I in there rooting for you.
    Oh . P. S. I don't know the name of the Chemo they gave me.
  • Edward W
    Options
    linda1120 said:

City of Hope

Dear Linda How are you and
    Dear Linda How are you and your husband doing. I was hoping you would post an update
    Regards...
  • linda1120
    Options
    Edward W said:

Dear Linda How are you and your husband doing. I was hoping you would post an update
    Regards...

How Linda & Jim are doing
    Hi Edward, Thank you for asking about Jim and I. He has been hospitalized for five days and it doesn't look like he will be home for several more. It has been in response to the chemo and radiation. He had complications with his pro-time for Coumadin. He was bleeding out and they had to give him Vit K, plasma, and hydration. He also has low platelets, low white cells, and hemoglobin. He has to build his body back up after the chemo and radiation, and as you know that can take time. The Cisplatin and 5fu are really tough. He will be seeing a cardiologist at OHSU in Portland, Oregon the 23rd of this month. Hopefully they will be able to do the procedure to open his aortic valve so he will be able to have the surgery later that month. The surgeons in Portland are planning on operating after doing a Endoscopic Ultrasound to stage Jim's cancer. We know he has three nodes involved, but we do not know if the cancer has gone through the esophagus lining. Surgery is scheduled for the 15th, and depending on what the Petscan and catscans show on the 29th and 30th as well as the EUS, it will be a go. I can't imagine my life without Jim after 35 years of marriage.

Thank you for asking about us.

God Bless,

Linda
  • linda1120
    Options
    Edward W said:

Regards...

How Linda & Jim are doing
    Hi Edward, Thank you for asking about Jim and I. He has been hospitalized for five days and it doesn't look like he will be home for several more. It has been in response to the chemo and radiation. He had complications with his pro-time for Coumadin. He was bleeding out and they had to give him Vit K, plasma, and hydration. He also has low platelets, low white cells, and hemoglobin. He has to build his body back up after the chemo and radiation, and as you know that can take time. The Cisplatin and 5fu are really tough. He will be seeing a cardiologist at OHSU in Portland, Oregon the 23rd of this month. Hopefully they will be able to do the procedure to open his aortic valve so he will be able to have the surgery later that month. The surgeons in Portland are planning on operating after doing a Endoscopic Ultrasound to stage Jim's cancer. We know he has three nodes involved, but we do not know if the cancer has gone through the esophagus lining. Surgery is scheduled for the 15th, and depending on what the Petscan and catscans show on the 29th and 30th as well as the EUS, it will be a go. I can't imagine my life without Jim after 35 years of marriage.

Thank you for asking about us.

God Bless,

Linda