Need a pep talk

Options
renee1822
renee1822 Member Posts: 33
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I have my 2nd chemo treatment Friday and I'm trying to get those positive thoughts going but I can't help feeling so nervous, will I ever get past this. Does it get easier, could really use some positive energy from everyone. Hugs to you all.
Darlene

Comments

• Snowkitty
    Snowkitty Member Posts: 295
    Options
    Go Go Go!!!
    Good luck on your 2nd; that's one less for you. I hope you get over the yuckies fast. Yes it gets getter. You at least know now what to expect and when you might feel bad, and how to prevent it from getting bad. Each chemo after 1st went better for me.

Good luck

Cindy
  • TraciInLA
    TraciInLA Member Posts: 1,994 Member
    Options
    Agree with Cindy
    Darlene,

In a way (at least for me), the 2nd chemo was a little easier, because at least I knew what to expect. No matter how well you prepare, that 1st one is a humdinger, because you don't know how your body's going to react, or when, and you're just waiting fearfully for the next side effect to kick in...or not...or when?

But now you're a pro, Darlene! You have a better idea how you'll feel, and on which days, and what you'll need -- just take the time today to stock your house with the things you'll need when you get home from chemo -- feeling prepared may help you feel more in control.

Will be thinking of you tomorrow,

Traci
  • Boppy_of_6
    Boppy_of_6 Member Posts: 1,138
    Options
    TraciInLA said:

Agree with Cindy
    Darlene,

In a way (at least for me), the 2nd chemo was a little easier, because at least I knew what to expect. No matter how well you prepare, that 1st one is a humdinger, because you don't know how your body's going to react, or when, and you're just waiting fearfully for the next side effect to kick in...or not...or when?

But now you're a pro, Darlene! You have a better idea how you'll feel, and on which days, and what you'll need -- just take the time today to stock your house with the things you'll need when you get home from chemo -- feeling prepared may help you feel more in control.

Will be thinking of you tomorrow,

Traci

Agree with Cindy and Tracy
    For me the second was much better. I did not have the fear of the unknown like the first time and I did feel better after and the SE's did not last as long. Praying for you. God Bless
    (((Hugs))) Janice
  • sparkle1
    sparkle1 Member Posts: 242
    Options
    It does get manageable.
    It does get manageable. Remember knowledge is power. Don't forget to drink plenty of water. Praying for you.
    Sparkle
  • pscheer
    pscheer Member Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Darlene, 2nd chemo means you
    Darlene, 2nd chemo means you are closer to the finish line. I agree with the others who wrote that it gets easier because you know what to expect and how to deal with it. I started writing notes each day about how much I slept, or didn't sleep, what side effects I had and stuff like that. The reason I did it was so the next time I had chemo, I could look back on my notes from the previous time and know when I would feel better and that it was normal, well as normal as you can expect. It's just so hard not to be scared and to think straight when you have had your chemo, so the notes help you see that it was the same last time. It was so weird that my worst day would occur and the very next day I would wake up feeling great! Crazy!!!!
  • Gabe N Abby Mom
    Gabe N Abby Mom Member Posts: 2,413
    Options
    I had the jitters too.
    I had the jitters before number 2 also. (I have number 3 next week.) Would it be worse than the 1st, how would it be different?

For me to take control back, I started preparing early. I drank plenty of water and got some electrolytes going 2 days before treatment. I also ate some red meat (I usually avoid it) to get my iron up, I took walks and got some exercise. These all made me feel like I was doing something to make it better.

Finally, if your jitters are really bad, consult with your doctor about some appropriate medication. Mine prescribed Ativan as needed.

Hope everything goes well for you,
    Linda
  • Heatherbelle
    Heatherbelle Member Posts: 1,226 Member
    Options
    Darlene -
    I'll keep it short

Darlene -
    I'll keep it short and sweet sister. Yes, it does get easier. And, it goes by really fast. Before you know it you'll be done with chemo. Sending you good thoughts & lotsa positive mojo :)
    *hugs*
    Heather
  • cahjah75
    cahjah75 Member Posts: 2,631
    Options
    Darlene
    I have had 3 chemo treatments and I went by myself for the 3rd one. It went well. However I was definitely more fatigued the following day. I don't remember if you had any reactions the first time but I do think it gets easier as far as procedure. It's just the fatigue that gets worse. I just realized it's Friday and you're probably having your 2nd chemo. Hope everything went well.
    {{hugs}} Char
  • ms.sunshine
    ms.sunshine Member Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    cahjah75 said:

Darlene
    I have had 3 chemo treatments and I went by myself for the 3rd one. It went well. However I was definitely more fatigued the following day. I don't remember if you had any reactions the first time but I do think it gets easier as far as procedure. It's just the fatigue that gets worse. I just realized it's Friday and you're probably having your 2nd chemo. Hope everything went well.
    {{hugs}} Char

It gets better
    I would get nervous each time, once I was in the chair and the drugs were underway I was ok. Most the time someone was with me, so I wouldn't cut and run. I had that fight or flight thing going on. Flight wasn't an option. It does go by fast looking back, but while you're in it, it is tough. Hang in there, and yes you can and will get thru.
  • MerleBee
    MerleBee Member Posts: 49
    Options
    I had to learn to just take
    I had to learn to just take it one day at a time! It is all so unpredicitable that the minute I thought I knew what was next or how long something would take it was all sure to change. Everyone's experience is different, but you will come out on the otherside. We are all here to help and when you are uncertain, it's a gurantee that someone hear will be able to validate what ever you are experiencing...this site has been such a blessing...I don't post often, but I come to the site a lot and have learned so much about grace and dignity under fire, strength and wisdom and the power of a woman to do the tough stuff! I am learning to be proud of me for being able to do this! You will too!

Merle
  • mwallace1325
    mwallace1325 Member Posts: 806
    Options
    It does get better
    and besides that each one you get done is one less you have to do. Once you know what to expect, like anything else, it's manageable and hopefully becomes routine. I used to tell people that I could do 8 of almost anything except gun shots to the head. You'll do it.

marge
  • disneyfan2008
    disneyfan2008 Member Posts: 6,583 Member
    Options
    i'll be thinking of you
    I have not done chemo...so I dont' understand like others but I"LL be thinking of you..(I only had radiation)