Advice Needed

Options
QuiltingMama123
QuiltingMama123 Member Posts: 124
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Good afternoon! This is the second time I'm typing this. For some reason, I was kicked off the site the last time. Anyway, I'll try one more time.
I haven't posted for a while, partially because I was trying not to think about Cancer, just about getting well - like this was some other kind of illness, but that is not working very well today. I'm scared, and I don't normally allow myself to be scared. I just put my shoulder to it and get through the situation. That doesn't work when so much of the situation is beyond my control.
I was diagnosed with stage one invasive ductile cancer in June. The surgeon said that my chances were just as good having a lumpectomy and radiation as they were with a mastectomy. I didn't want to over-react, so I went with the lumpectomy. In the clear margins of my 1.5 cm tumor, an additional 1 mm tumor was found. Now I can't get rid of the terror that there is more. I am about to have my third of four chemo treatments, which I know are designed to kill any other cancer cells. I'm just scared. I wish I had had a mastectomy, maybe even a double.
All of this is coming to a head now because my dh had lunch with a friend of ours yesterday. She is worried about me having radiation because her husband died not from his brain tumor, but from the radiation he was given. I know there is a big difference between radiating the brain and radiating a breast, but...
On top of all of this, my breast has been hurting off and on, and I have a very slight nipple discharge. I have an appointment with my onc tomorrow and will talk to him about the pain and discharge, but, if this is something serious, I think I might lose it.
Sorry, just had to get this all off my chest.

Comments

• webbwife50
    webbwife50 Member Posts: 394
    Options
    try and relax
    Try and relax a bit, lumpectomy, mastectomy, I know I have had a number of moments when I am fill with terror, at the thought of it comming back. I opted for bilat mast, my onc. surgeon at the time told me even if I decided on lumpec. I could always go back and have the mast. if I wanted. Talk to your doc. tomarrow, just knowing you have options may help. Perhaps a little anti-anxiety med. would help right now. God Bless you and good luck tommarrow. Love....Alison
  • Miss Murphy
    Miss Murphy Member Posts: 302
    Options
    Good to Talk with Onc
    Hi!

Glad you have an appointment tomorrow. I'm sure your onc can give you some reassurance. We all feel the panic and anxiety at times -especially when we are first dx. I'm 2 1/2 years out from my dx and there are times when I get an ache or pain and think - is IT back? It does get better with time, I promise. Think positive and be strong - we are all here for you when you need us.

Hugs, Sally
  • jo jo
    jo jo Member Posts: 1,175
    Options
    Vent away QuiltingMama!
    We all get scared that we are making the right decisions...i had a lumpectomy then was advised to get a mastectomy, for one during the lumpectomy my margins werent clear and for another a high risk of reacurrance in my situation...so bilateral mastectomy it was! I dont regret the desision cuz i know i have gone as far as i can go to get rid of it and yet i still have fears of it returning.
    If you think you may want a mastectomy you can talk to your onc about it and tell them your concerns...which by the way i hope everything turns out for you during your visit.
  • hoop77
    hoop77 Member Posts: 84
    Options
    I'm glad you are seeing your
    I'm glad you are seeing your onc tomorrow. I'm sure you will be relieved after your appointment. I know it's such a scary feeling to have no control. I opted for a bilateral because my cancer was invasive lobular which tends to appear in the other breast. My tumor was tiny, but all of the tests prior to surgery were inconclusive as to how big it actually was so I chose the radical approach. Mostly because I just wanted to be done, never wanted to have to go through the fear again, and also the mastectomy allowed me to avoid radiation and chemo. I am so happy with my decision, but it's not for everyone. I wouldn't worry about the radiation, they know what they are doing...Have you seen all of the BC survivors out there??? Try not to worry, I know it's impossible sometimes, but I'm sure everything will be just fine. Hoping you feel better after your visit tomorrow.
    Sending hugs and prayers,
    Laura
  • QuiltingMama123
    QuiltingMama123 Member Posts: 124
    Options
    hoop77 said:

I'm glad you are seeing your
    I'm glad you are seeing your onc tomorrow. I'm sure you will be relieved after your appointment. I know it's such a scary feeling to have no control. I opted for a bilateral because my cancer was invasive lobular which tends to appear in the other breast. My tumor was tiny, but all of the tests prior to surgery were inconclusive as to how big it actually was so I chose the radical approach. Mostly because I just wanted to be done, never wanted to have to go through the fear again, and also the mastectomy allowed me to avoid radiation and chemo. I am so happy with my decision, but it's not for everyone. I wouldn't worry about the radiation, they know what they are doing...Have you seen all of the BC survivors out there??? Try not to worry, I know it's impossible sometimes, but I'm sure everything will be just fine. Hoping you feel better after your visit tomorrow.
    Sending hugs and prayers,
    Laura

Thank you all!
    I do feel much, much better after seeing my onc today. I went in with half a dozen questions for him and he patiently went through them all. Everything is fine - none of my areas of concern were anything but "normal" side effects, and I'm feeling much more comfortable. Thanks, again!
    Anna
  • Jean 0609
    Jean 0609 Member Posts: 2,462
    Options

Thank you all!
    I do feel much, much better after seeing my onc today. I went in with half a dozen questions for him and he patiently went through them all. Everything is fine - none of my areas of concern were anything but "normal" side effects, and I'm feeling much more comfortable. Thanks, again!
    Anna

Hi Anna,
    Glad to hear that you are feeling better today. Glad you onc answered your questions. Remmeber, we are always here if you need to cry, vent, or whatever.
  • Snowkitty
    Snowkitty Member Posts: 295
    Options
    I had almost the same as
    I had almost the same as you, stage 1 IDC, 1.5cm, clean margins, no node involvement. Had 4 rounds of T/C and have now started rads & airmidex. They take so much care with the rads. I would say that the rads given for brain tumors would be much iffier, given the area having to be radiated. Boobs have a lot of tissue and they take great care to miss the heart & lungs.

Take care, Cindy