woke with horrible leg cramps

Options
cahjah75
cahjah75 Member Posts: 2,631
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I've had some problems over the past 4 years with neuropathy because I have degenerative disc disease caused from osteoarthritis. I had 3 discs fused in my neck in Jan 08. I've had lumbar spinal stenosis for about 18 months and gaining 20#s in the past 3 months hasn't helped. I used to get frequent foot/toe cramps but recently they stopped. I sleep with a pillow under my knees and I have a bar of soap under the sheets and I drink tonic water w/quinine at night. Last Friday I had horrible cramps in my hands and couldn't crochet. Last night I woke with shooting pains in both legs going into my feet. I had to get up and walk around for awhile. Thinking back on my day yesterday: I went to the hospital for my blood labs and did errands before seeing my surgeon in the afternoon and while standing in line my feet kept going numb. Do you think eating some candy corn may have caused too much sugar in my system to react with the cramping?? My body seems to be at war, either it's numb or cramping. I'm not sure which is worse but I don't like it!
Char

Comments

• webbwife50
    webbwife50 Member Posts: 394
    Options
    Hi Char
    I wonder if a potassium supplement might help. I know leg cramps as well as hand and foot can result from potassuium difficiency. I also suffer from nueropathy, although not as severe, in my hands and feet, it has gotten somewhat better with time (9 months out of chemo). My doc told me the blood pressure med. I'm on can cause potassium difficiency, so I try to take a supplement when I remember (still have some chemo brain going on). Hugs...Alison
  • Rague
    Rague Member Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    My thought
    would be low K (potassium). Easy to test for and should be done with each blood test.

When I as on Taxol, I had low K and foot/ankle cramps at night. My PA had me take double K for a few days and then back off to reg. doses. t went back to 'normal' range for a while but apparently it still drops at times - so when I get cramps I take it til I get no more cramps for a few nights then back off til body says I need it again.

Talk to your Dr.
  • cahjah75
    cahjah75 Member Posts: 2,631
    Options
    Thanks
    I'll ask oncologist when I see him next. The cramping has subsided once again for some unknown reason. Instead today I woke and my nose keeps bleeding when I blow it. I've had a chest cough and have been blowing my nose since my 3rd chemo treatment.
    Char
  • disneyfan2008
    disneyfan2008 Member Posts: 6,583 Member
    Options
    leg cramps
    I get many times per week and sometimes serveral times in one night...very painful...and sometimes they hurt for days like pulled muscle..I Have oncolo appt next week i'll have to jot down to remember to talk to her about it.

side effect from med? mmmmmm I thought mine may be from Tamoxifen!