How long have you survived??

Options

Comments

• 1Winner
    1Winner Member Posts: 1
    Options
    Roll Call
    I was diagnosed April 1 2010. Staged at T3N2M0.
    Chemo and radiation in May and June, surgery July 19.
    Doing well considering. I've always had a positive
    outlook and I think it helped me the most.

From my diagnosis today makes me a six month survivor.

Bob
  • GerryS
    GerryS Member Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    1Winner said:

Roll Call
    I was diagnosed April 1 2010. Staged at T3N2M0.
    Chemo and radiation in May and June, surgery July 19.
    Doing well considering. I've always had a positive
    outlook and I think it helped me the most.

From my diagnosis today makes me a six month survivor.

Bob

On the mend.......
    DX in Feb 2010
    Surgery March 2010, Mayo, MN
    Chemo Cisplatin, 5FU
    Clean CT scan Aug 2010

7 months and looking forward to many more!

Gerry
  • MOE58
    MOE58 Member Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    ANOTHER ROLL CALL
    Well you already know but Jeff is One year and 2 months and is doing great. Still on 3 month follow up but in general so far so good.

glad everyone is doing good.

lori
  • Bobs1wife
    Bobs1wife Member Posts: 150
    Options
    Roll Call
    My husband, Bob, was diagnosed 3-31-10, T2-3N1MO. Chemo with Cisplatin & Irinotecan, then chemoradiation. Surgery 8-16-10. Post surgery check up in 2 weeks. We delayed the check up just a litte, with Dr's. OK, to take a trip to the mountains! 6 months since diagnosis and waking up to mountain views!
  • mlbrooks852
    mlbrooks852 Member Posts: 67
    Options
    Roll call
    Diagnosed in Jan 2010. Stage 2... Surgery in April minimally invasive....chemo started in June....Folfox. Last PET scan did show a couple of lit up lymph nodes. Was going to have EUS with needle biopsy next week, but now have fractured left hip. Chemo and cancer are just going to have to take a back seat for awhile. Need prayers.
  • Myrtle9
    Myrtle9 Member Posts: 9
    Options
    Roll Call
    My husband was diagnosed in March, 2008 and was T3N2M1. He had 4 cycles of chemotherapy before surgery and postop chemo and radiation. CT scans had been negative until April of this year. He begand accumulating fluid in the abdomen and tests showed it contained cancer cells. He's been treated every 3 weeks with Avastin with a modified TCF therapy. He's weaker, lost some weight but holding his own. We remain hopeful and leave it to God.
  • Edward W
    Edward W Member Posts: 30
    Options
    10 years
    I want to add my comments because I want to give hope to others with Esophageal cx. I was diagnosed in Jan 2000 with Stage IV. After mnoths of Chemo and Radiation (at the same time) I went to City of Hope Medical Center (California).For the surgery. During surgery the doctor discovered I needed the entire esophagus to be removed. Which he did. I have an artificial esopophagus made from 80% of my stomach Yes I can eat regular foods (every few hours) with the exception of some.
    Here I would like to tell all of you folks out there that COHMC has a staff of world class doctors and nurses.
    I'm 72 now and two weeks ago went SeaDooing with my daughter on the river.
    I think that the best bit of advise that I can give you is this: Do what the doctor says, take care of yourself,(no smoking or drinking even when you survive) and NEVER,NEVER give up.
  • Edward W said:

10 years
    I want to add my comments because I want to give hope to others with Esophageal cx. I was diagnosed in Jan 2000 with Stage IV. After mnoths of Chemo and Radiation (at the same time) I went to City of Hope Medical Center (California).For the surgery. During surgery the doctor discovered I needed the entire esophagus to be removed. Which he did. I have an artificial esopophagus made from 80% of my stomach Yes I can eat regular foods (every few hours) with the exception of some.
    Here I would like to tell all of you folks out there that COHMC has a staff of world class doctors and nurses.
    I'm 72 now and two weeks ago went SeaDooing with my daughter on the river.
    I think that the best bit of advise that I can give you is this: Do what the doctor says, take care of yourself,(no smoking or drinking even when you survive) and NEVER,NEVER give up.

This comment has been removed by the Moderator
  • dragonflymom
    dragonflymom Member Posts: 46
    Options
    My mom was diagnosed two
    My mom was diagnosed two days before Thanksgiving 2009. She was stage 4a. After chemo, radiation and telescoping stents in her trachea and esophagus she is doing well. Not great, but well. She has little evidence of disease. Maybe some in her esophagus but they can't tell for sure. She just had a CT scan last week and it looked great.

Her day-to-day struggles include not being able to eat and coughing. Coughing is her biggest problem. She coughs a lot. She feeds herself through a tube.

However, she is here and her doctors are all very happy with her progress. Truth be told, they didn't think she was going to make it to summer. Her stents caused her many problems in the beginning.

I wish everyone here many blessed days with their families and loved ones!
  • FaithandPeace
    FaithandPeace Member Posts: 3
    Options
    Roll Call
    My husband was diagnosed with Stage 2 in May 2009. He had chemo, radiation Ivor Lewis Surgery and chemo again afterwards since they found cancer in the lymnph nodes. Three weeks after treatment ended we learned it metastized to liver and bone. He is still in treatment, doing exceptionally well and enjoying life. It is 17 months since we first learned about the cancer, and we have lived everyday to the fullest and we look forward to posting our 'roll call' again in 20 years. Life is a blessing meant to be enjoyed! Bless you all
  • Betty in Vegas
    Betty in Vegas Member Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Layne was DX'd April 09
    We have been in the battle for 18 months now. We've been through chemo, chemo/rad, IL surgery, cleanup chemo and then had it come back and we have done SirSpheres, Folfox, and a LOT of prayer. He feels great when not on chemo.

Betty
  • cindyhils
    cindyhils Member Posts: 27
    Options
    GerryS said:

On the mend.......
    DX in Feb 2010
    Surgery March 2010, Mayo, MN
    Chemo Cisplatin, 5FU
    Clean CT scan Aug 2010

7 months and looking forward to many more!

Gerry

mayo, mn
    Just read your post. was wondering who your dr was. i was dx august 09 with chemo, cisplatin and 5FU. i also had surgery december of 09 in mayo, rochester, MN. I thought my drs were wonderful there and the after care was super. I am NED since december. Dr. Cassavi was my surgeon.
  • dwhite0002
    dwhite0002 Member Posts: 126
    Options
    4 years!
    I was diagnosed August, 2006 with stage III squamous cell. Underwent chemo/radiation and an esophagectomy in Dec. '06. I celebrated 4 years this fall! Lots of bumps along the road with eating and weight, but hanging in there. I am now 36 years old.

-David
    Hillsboro, OH
  • linda1120
    linda1120 Member Posts: 389
    Options
    Donna70 said:

these are so great!!
    Thanks for all that have responded so far and for those who will respond. It is just so uplifting to see your numbers. We are so inundated with statistics sometimes, what a wonderful relief to put our numbers up. My fav commercial is the one where someone sings happy birthday meaning more birthdays for cancer survivors. Keep the stories and numbers coming.
    Donna70

Stats
    My Jim was diagnosed September 6, 2010, started Cisplatin & 5FU September 28, 2010 for two rounds. He is a TXN1MIVa. He is having a EUS on November 8th in Portland at OSHU, and if all goes well will be having MIE mid December 2010. We have been told he is a stage 111.

We are newbies, but plan on being around for many years to come, God willing.

Linda
  • linda1120
    Options
    Donna70 said:

these are so great!!
    Thanks for all that have responded so far and for those who will respond. It is just so uplifting to see your numbers. We are so inundated with statistics sometimes, what a wonderful relief to put our numbers up. My fav commercial is the one where someone sings happy birthday meaning more birthdays for cancer survivors. Keep the stories and numbers coming.
    Donna70

Stats
    My Jim was diagnosed September 6, 2010, started Cisplatin & 5FU September 28, 2010 for two rounds. He is a TXN1MIVa. He is having a EUS on November 8th in Portland at OSHU, and if all goes well will be having MIE mid December 2010. He has been told he is probably a stage III due to celiac node involvement and two other local nodes. There is nothing in the organs.

We are newbies, but plan on being around for many years to come, God willing.
  • GerryS
    GerryS Member Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    cindyhils said:

mayo, mn
    Just read your post. was wondering who your dr was. i was dx august 09 with chemo, cisplatin and 5FU. i also had surgery december of 09 in mayo, rochester, MN. I thought my drs were wonderful there and the after care was super. I am NED since december. Dr. Cassavi was my surgeon.

Mayo cont.
    My surgeon was Dr Deschamps. My oncologist is Dr Alberts. Although I will probably see many of the doctors during check ups. I return to Mayo on Nov. 5 th to see Dr Alberts. I am doing fine but always get nervous wating for check ups. How are you doing eating. I have problems once in a while but you learn in a hurry what you can eat easily and don't eat too much. Those chemo drugs were the same for me. They were tough. Hope you continue to do well. God Bless.....
    Gerry
  • linda1120
    Options

Roll call
    Diagnosed in Jan 2010. Stage 2... Surgery in April minimally invasive....chemo started in June....Folfox. Last PET scan did show a couple of lit up lymph nodes. Was going to have EUS with needle biopsy next week, but now have fractured left hip. Chemo and cancer are just going to have to take a back seat for awhile. Need prayers.

Prayers
    I will definitely keep you in prayer. Take care of yourself with that hip. I hope you will be able to get back to your chemo soon.

Linda
  • Apurva32
    Apurva32 Member Posts: 13
    Options
    13 months since diagnosis !!!
    I was diagnosed on 10/8/2009 and was staged T2N0M0, had 8 rounds of chemo (Cisplatin & Irenotican)and 28 cycles of Radiation, followed by Ivor Lewis surgery on April 5th of this year, all of which was done at Sloan in NYC. After the surgery they staged me down to Stage I based on the pathological report from the tumor site, they were also able to remove 31 lymph nodes all were negative of any live cancer cells. Its been almost 7 months since my surgery and besides a few hiccups and being about 40 pounds lighter I am doing great. Living each day to the fullest and enjoying the time I am spending with my daughter who will turn 2 this coming Feb.
  • linda1120
    Options
    Apurva32 said:

13 months since diagnosis !!!
    I was diagnosed on 10/8/2009 and was staged T2N0M0, had 8 rounds of chemo (Cisplatin & Irenotican)and 28 cycles of Radiation, followed by Ivor Lewis surgery on April 5th of this year, all of which was done at Sloan in NYC. After the surgery they staged me down to Stage I based on the pathological report from the tumor site, they were also able to remove 31 lymph nodes all were negative of any live cancer cells. Its been almost 7 months since my surgery and besides a few hiccups and being about 40 pounds lighter I am doing great. Living each day to the fullest and enjoying the time I am spending with my daughter who will turn 2 this coming Feb.

Congratulations!
    What an amazing report! That is incredible that you had no cancer cells. You really went through an intensive chemo regimen.

My husband has just been recently diagnosed (Sept 6, 2010) and they are only doing two chemo treatments of Cisplatin & 5fu. He is doing 28 days of radiation (IMRT). We are headed to OSHU
    in Portland, Oregon in a week. They did not do a staging test so he will have the endoscopic ultrasound. They found a large tumor in his esophagus when doing a endoscope, the catscan showed lymph node involvement, and a petscan showed lymph nodes including the celiac node. No metastases to any organs. It seems odd that they are only doing two chemo treatments..... He will have surgery in December if the chemo is working. He will have the minimally invasive esophacectomy.

Enjoy that precious child!

Linda
  • cdobb
    cdobb Member Posts: 5
    Options
    Roll Call
    Hi Donna, I was diagnosed with Adenocarcinoma EC in May 2010, MIE at UPMC July 2010,so about 6 months for me. Turned out to be Stage 1. No Chemo or Radiation. Dr. Jobe did my surgery and did a wonderful job. (He is on 60 minutes).