Not sure how to define myself

Options
4Bev
4Bev Member Posts: 2
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Hello all. I am hoping you can help me figure out how to define myself....

In 2004 my beloved sister Beverly died from breast cancer at 46 (she had battled it for 6 years). I also have a cousin who had breast cancer at 45 (though she is doing very well).

On Mother's Day I found a lump in my left breast...I was leaving the next morning for a week long business trip and didn't want to alarm my family and parents (who live very close), so I went on the trip and called my dr from the airport to set up an appointment the following Monday. He ordered a mammogram, which came out inconclusive, so it was followed by a ultrasound, which came out slightly inconclusive, requiring a recheck in 6 months. Due to my family history (which includes Grandmother with uterine cancer), my doctor sent me to a breast surgeon. After a lot of discussion, I decided on a bilateral mastectomy. I had surgery on August 10th and received results stating my left breast had been clear of cancer, but there were two areas of pre-cancerous cells on my right breast. I feel so fortunate...my husband and friends say I am a breast cancer survivor, yet I feel that does a dishonor to all of you who have fought and continue to fight this horrific disease...what are your thoughts?

Thanks and God Bless you all!!!!!

Janice

Comments

• Rague
    Rague Member Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    in my 'book' -
    In my book - you're a BC survivor - just a lot luckier than most of us as you got the Beast out before too much was done.

Congratualtions!

Susan
  • Boppy_of_6
    Boppy_of_6 Member Posts: 1,138
    Options
    Rague said:

in my 'book' -
    In my book - you're a BC survivor - just a lot luckier than most of us as you got the Beast out before too much was done.

Congratualtions!

Susan

Good name!
    I agree with Susan you just got to it really fast, with the family history I think you are truly blessed. I am sure you feel the same way. I am happy for you. God Bless
    (((Hugs))) Janice
  • aysemari
    aysemari Member Posts: 1,596 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone
    You faced the fear and had to have the courage to be pro active
    and get a mastectomy. That in my eyes makes you a survivor.

Ayse
  • MyTurnNow
    MyTurnNow Member Posts: 2,686 Member
    Options
    I agree with Susan, you are
    I agree with Susan, you are a BC survivor!! Luckily, you were aware and got checked out quickly. I'm sorry for the death of your sister, I'm sure that was awful. I have a sister and cannot imagine losing her. Take care.
  • Ritzy
    Ritzy Member Posts: 4,381 Member
    Options

Good name!
    I agree with Susan you just got to it really fast, with the family history I think you are truly blessed. I am sure you feel the same way. I am happy for you. God Bless
    (((Hugs))) Janice

Hi Janice!
    First, welcome to the site! And, you are just like all of us, except you stopped the Beast earlier than most of us. So, YEH for you and congrats!

You are now amongst your sisters in pink and you fit in just perfect!

Don't try to put a label on yourself. Just be thankful that you are free of bc and that you have a long, healthy and happy life to look forward to now.

Sue :)
  • RE
    RE Member Posts: 4,591 Member
    Options
    :-)
    You are most certainly a survivor, as the other ladies stated you were just fortunate to catch it in its most early stage and nip it in the bud before it could get a good hold on you. No disservice done, we survivors come in all different shapes, sizes and stages happy you caught it early!

°•♥Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ♥•°*”˜ RE
  • Jean 0609
    Jean 0609 Member Posts: 2,462
    Options
    Hi Janice,
    Welcome to the site. You are definitely a Survivor. Hope things are going well. This is a wonderful place to read, ask questions, or just vent. We are all here for you. Hugs, Jean
  • jo jo
    jo jo Member Posts: 1,175
    Options
    Hi Janice and welcome to
    Hi Janice and welcome to this board. Im sorry about your sister, its rough to loose someone so close. I just lost my cousin who was like my sister just a few weeks ago although it was not to breast cancer, but it still hurts just the same and i wanted to give up my fight with BC until i got a good butt kickin from my aunt who raised me (reason why me and my cousin were like sisters) and since i found a letter from my cousin very shortly before she died. In this note she wrote how she was so thankful that im pulling thru this and that im still here by Gods grace. Because of this i continue my fight in her honor.
    I dont think it matters what stage of BC you are to be a survivor...you are a SURVIVOR! You were fortunate to have caught it early but your still going thru all the emotions and fears as we all are. Plus you have watched family members go threw it. There is no need for you to feel guilty cuz you are fighting the same fight.
  • smalldoggroomer
    smalldoggroomer Member Posts: 1,184
    Options
    Your a survivor in my book
    Welcome to the board.. There is no dishonor you caught it really early that's all. I'm glad you didn't have to go through chemo,rads. Your a sister now. Of-course this means you must put me on your Christmas list. Take care Kay
  • mwallace1325
    mwallace1325 Member Posts: 806
    Options
    You're definitely a survivor
    who happened to catch BC early. Hopefully as time goes on there will be more and more survivors like you. We welcome you to our ranks and are so glad you were able to avoid the dreaded treatments.

marge
  • cahjah75
    cahjah75 Member Posts: 2,631
    Options
    Hi Janice
    I agree that you are a bc survivor. I too have a family history and have had mammograms since I was 35 (I'm 61). I'm the 5th in my family and it was my gyn who found the lump. I did the genetic testing for the BRCA gene and was negative. I had bilateral mastectomy in June. I'm currently in chemo treatment. It's difficult to make the decision to be aggressive with bc and thankfully you had the courage to do so. Consider yourself one of the sisters!
    {{hugs}} Char
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member
    Options
    cahjah75 said:

Hi Janice
    I agree that you are a bc survivor. I too have a family history and have had mammograms since I was 35 (I'm 61). I'm the 5th in my family and it was my gyn who found the lump. I did the genetic testing for the BRCA gene and was negative. I had bilateral mastectomy in June. I'm currently in chemo treatment. It's difficult to make the decision to be aggressive with bc and thankfully you had the courage to do so. Consider yourself one of the sisters!
    {{hugs}} Char

definately a survivor, you
    definately a survivor, you have to deal with the surgery part and that is no easy feat, so glad it was early!
  • 4Bev
    4Bev Member Posts: 2
    Options
    carkris said:

definately a survivor, you
    definately a survivor, you have to deal with the surgery part and that is no easy feat, so glad it was early!

THANK YOU ALL!
    Thank you for for making me feel so welcome...I now feel like I belong and will PROUDLY say I am a Breast Cancer Survivor! :) Love ya! Janice
  • Heatherbelle
    Heatherbelle Member Posts: 1,226 Member
    Options
    I say you are most
    I say you are most definately a survivor, and I admire your strength and courage. Your course of actions when faced with BC are in my mind very smart and courageous, while others might call it extreme. I also had a bilateral mastectomy although I only had cancer in my right breast.
    I'm just now researching family history and geneticcs & the role they play in breast cancer as my mom & I were both diagnosed withn 2 months of each other this summer, with no other family history, and I'm the mother of 2 young girls & am terrified of the thought of them being affected by BC when they grow up.
    Yes, you ARE a survivor, and one smart cookie. Thank you for sharing your story, and best wishes & good health to you Janice :)
    *hugs*
    Heather
  • disneyfan2008
    disneyfan2008 Member Posts: 6,583 Member
    Options

Your a survivor in my book
    Welcome to the board.. There is no dishonor you caught it really early that's all. I'm glad you didn't have to go through chemo,rads. Your a sister now. Of-course this means you must put me on your Christmas list. Take care Kay

I feel / felt the same until reading postings here
    I have never thought of survior since mine was so simple/ easy compared to most...I faithfully got my mammo-called back went 2 days later...day later biopsy few weeks surgery (dr on vacation)...radiation 8 wks daily...but to hear of others and talk to other patients waiting for treatments-mine was a piece of cake

dont' get me wrong..i cried-unknown etc..but ....so until friend had skin cancer, surgery and she was talking as cancer survivor-I just thought of myslef as HAD cancer...

does this make any sense to anyone?
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    Options

I say you are most
    I say you are most definately a survivor, and I admire your strength and courage. Your course of actions when faced with BC are in my mind very smart and courageous, while others might call it extreme. I also had a bilateral mastectomy although I only had cancer in my right breast.
    I'm just now researching family history and geneticcs & the role they play in breast cancer as my mom & I were both diagnosed withn 2 months of each other this summer, with no other family history, and I'm the mother of 2 young girls & am terrified of the thought of them being affected by BC when they grow up.
    Yes, you ARE a survivor, and one smart cookie. Thank you for sharing your story, and best wishes & good health to you Janice :)
    *hugs*
    Heather

bumping up ..
    Vicki
  • Different Ballgame
    Options
    I KNOW EXACTLY HOW YOU FEEL
    Janice,

The first time I had 0 Stage DCIS. To make a long story short, I opted to have a contralateral mastectomy (a good breast and cancerous breast removed). As no other cancer was present and lymph nodes were clear, no radiation, no chemo, no Arimidex were required. I felt like a cancer impostor because I did not go through what other breast cancer women go through. During breast reconstruction I mentioned this to my plastic surgeon and his nurse. She softly responded, "But...you lost 2 breasts."

Janice, in retrospect, other women kept their breasts but either had radiation or chemo or both. So...count your blessings and don't compare. You decided on forfeiting your breasts. I would say that you are a survivor.

Lots of Hugs,
    Janelle
  • disneyfan2008
    disneyfan2008 Member Posts: 6,583 Member
    Options
    I posted same question
    just worded differently--

I felt since I found mine so early and only radiation after surgery not really survivor per say...but I have found out different here...

good luck to you...