Humpty dumpty

Options
Menda
Menda Member Posts: 128
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Well ladies. I need some advice. I had a double mastecomy with immediate reconstruction on July 8th. Both implants had to be removed in 2 different surgeries due to infection. Also had 2 more surgeries to clean everything out and close everything up. I go get the drains and sutures from first removal taken out tommorrow. We will discuss expanders ( putting humpty dumpty back together). Any questions I should ask? Or are All the kings men and kings horses couldn't put humpty dumpty back together again ?

Comments

• survivorbc09
    survivorbc09 Member Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    Humpty Dumpty can be put
    Humpty Dumpty can be put back together again Menda! I had a lumpectomy, so, I can't answer or help you with any questions.

I just want you to know that I will be praying that everything will work out for you.

I know that the sisters in pink on here that have gone through this will reply to you and help you.

Keep us updated.

Hugs, Jan
  • Menda
    Options

Humpty Dumpty can be put
    Humpty Dumpty can be put back together again Menda! I had a lumpectomy, so, I can't answer or help you with any questions.

I just want you to know that I will be praying that everything will work out for you.

I know that the sisters in pink on here that have gone through this will reply to you and help you.

Keep us updated.

Hugs, Jan

Thanks Jan. Three surgeries
    Thanks Jan. Three surgeries in 2 weeks has been a lot to handle. Just need info on expanders and tattoos. What to expect and what questions should I ask? 
  • Giant Poodles
    Giant Poodles Member Posts: 79
    Options
    Menda said:

Thanks Jan. Three surgeries
    Thanks Jan. Three surgeries in 2 weeks has been a lot to handle. Just need info on expanders and tattoos. What to expect and what questions should I ask? 

STretchers
    Well, I had stretcher put in on March 8, 2010 and then on October 13 will have implants, nipple and tattooing done all at the same time. The stretchers are not very comfortable, kind of like having rocks in your chest. But other than that I didn't have any problems. I hope this helps.
    Much Love,
    Rhonda
  • Menda
    Options

STretchers
    Well, I had stretcher put in on March 8, 2010 and then on October 13 will have implants, nipple and tattooing done all at the same time. The stretchers are not very comfortable, kind of like having rocks in your chest. But other than that I didn't have any problems. I hope this helps.
    Much Love,
    Rhonda

It took 7 months? How often
    It took 7 months? How often did you go in for fills? It is good to know the tattooing can all be done in one surgery. Anything specific I need to ask?
  • jo jo
    jo jo Member Posts: 1,175
    Options
    As Jan said humpty dumpty
    As Jan said humpty dumpty can be put back together again. Unfortantly its just takes time to be put back together.
    When i had my expanders put in i had no idea what to expect...After your incisions heal you can start your fills and how often and how much are determined by you on what you can handle, usually they start by once a week or once every 2 weeks...but be careful doctors will let you do it at your pace yes but some wont tell you to slow down cuz your going to fast causing unnessary pain and stretch marks and incisions reopening...so dont let them do anymore than you know you can handle. Just remember the bigger they get is when you start feelin more pain cuz its stretching that skin...the more you stretch the more it may hurt. Some tolerate it more than others...i took mine really slow especially at the end and did ok with it cuz its not a race to hurry up and get them filled...you have plenty of time to be where you want to be. Oh ya, they may start off looking like pancakes but the bigger you get the harder they seem to get...and they actually look and feel like softballs. Well in most cases anyway...i had one softball and one football...hehe! Also dont freak when you find that they are spaced really far apart, like almost into your pit...they do this so when you get your fills that you dont end up getting a uniboob!
  • seof
    seof Member Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    Menda said:

It took 7 months? How often
    It took 7 months? How often did you go in for fills? It is good to know the tattooing can all be done in one surgery. Anything specific I need to ask?

Look at the American Cancer Society online bookstore for the book "the reconstruction guidebook". I found it to be very informative. It is also the one my surgeon gives his patients in the information packet when he starts consulting with you. If you can, read the book and write down you questions as you go before you go back to your Dr. As you read posts on this site, or just think of questions in your own mind, write them down. Take the list with you and write down the answers.

Questions I can think of:
    1. How long do you need to wait before the next surgery?
    2. How likely is it that the implants will have to be redone?
    3. How long is the usual healing process?
    4. What is the tattooing procedure like?
    5. What about surgical construction of nipples?
    6, What are pros and cons of getting it all done at once versus waiting in between?

can't think of anything else right now. Hope this helps, seof
  • SamuraiMom
    SamuraiMom Member Posts: 295
    Options
    Just keep swimming...
    Hi Menda,

Just keep plugging.

I just had my left nipple redone a second time and it looks like this one won't take either. :(

My plan is to just keep plugging away at it.

The reconstruction process definitely has taken three times longer than I thought so as Dory would say...just keep swimming, just keep swimming! :)

xxoo,
    SamuraiMom
  • Chickadee1955
    Chickadee1955 Member Posts: 355 Member
    Options

Just keep swimming...
    Hi Menda,

Just keep plugging.

I just had my left nipple redone a second time and it looks like this one won't take either. :(

My plan is to just keep plugging away at it.

The reconstruction process definitely has taken three times longer than I thought so as Dory would say...just keep swimming, just keep swimming! :)

xxoo,
    SamuraiMom

I saw my PS today re
    I saw my PS today re scheduling reconstruction. Once insurance gives the okay we can schedule the surgery to put in the expanders. I am going to have a for real tummy tuck at the same time.

My surgeon says that the expanders/tummy tuck surgery can be done at an outpatient facility and I will only need to be off work 2 weeks or so. He also says we can do the 'expansion' relatively quickly. I know some folks take longer, but he said we can do the expansion and the exchange within 30-45 days. The tattooing, etc will need to be later.

I am SO excited to have the expanders put in, despite the posts that indicate they are less than comfortable. For the past 5 months I have have skin/fat flaps on my chest and under my arm. I haven't even been able to wear a bra to conceal the lumps. The only thing that would fit over me is a sports bra. I can't wait to feel like a human female again.
  • turquoisea
    turquoisea Member Posts: 14
    Options
    jo jo said:

As Jan said humpty dumpty
    As Jan said humpty dumpty can be put back together again. Unfortantly its just takes time to be put back together.
    When i had my expanders put in i had no idea what to expect...After your incisions heal you can start your fills and how often and how much are determined by you on what you can handle, usually they start by once a week or once every 2 weeks...but be careful doctors will let you do it at your pace yes but some wont tell you to slow down cuz your going to fast causing unnessary pain and stretch marks and incisions reopening...so dont let them do anymore than you know you can handle. Just remember the bigger they get is when you start feelin more pain cuz its stretching that skin...the more you stretch the more it may hurt. Some tolerate it more than others...i took mine really slow especially at the end and did ok with it cuz its not a race to hurry up and get them filled...you have plenty of time to be where you want to be. Oh ya, they may start off looking like pancakes but the bigger you get the harder they seem to get...and they actually look and feel like softballs. Well in most cases anyway...i had one softball and one football...hehe! Also dont freak when you find that they are spaced really far apart, like almost into your pit...they do this so when you get your fills that you dont end up getting a uniboob!

This is my first comment in
    This is my first comment in here, I am so happy I found you ladies..! It is great to hear the experience from other women. I am now going through the reconstruction process; I had a single masectomy + expander at the end of march.. After radiation and skin recovery, I started the inflation like 6 weeks ago. I have been trying to take it slowly, inflate every 1 week at the begining and every 2 weeks now. I had an inflation today and it is pretty painfull, as Jo Jo said, because I am half way through the process... I will probably need 2-3 more... I wonder if you have any advice on how to handle the pain from the expansion? I hope it will last only a couple of days. I am getting 60cc each time..
    And my chest really looked like a pancake.. jaja..
    and you are right.. I was almost starting to think that they had put the expander in a bad position, because it goes from pit-side to the upper part of my chest.. but the doctor explained that is really those tissue who need to expand.. I just relieved to ear it from you too..

One good advice I had from a friend is about skin care and massaging my skin... I was very caring of my skin during radiation. In my case I asked both the radiation oncologist and the plastic surgeon about skin care but didn't receive much advice from them.. A good friend gave me some natural moisturisers to use during radiation.. and I still use one of those untill now. She also told me to move my skin, don't let it et stick to my chest and follow my ribs to get the cartilage and soflty massage it. My skin looks really really good.. I am so thankfull to my friend and wanted to share the advice!
  • jo jo
    jo jo Member Posts: 1,175
    Options

This is my first comment in
    This is my first comment in here, I am so happy I found you ladies..! It is great to hear the experience from other women. I am now going through the reconstruction process; I had a single masectomy + expander at the end of march.. After radiation and skin recovery, I started the inflation like 6 weeks ago. I have been trying to take it slowly, inflate every 1 week at the begining and every 2 weeks now. I had an inflation today and it is pretty painfull, as Jo Jo said, because I am half way through the process... I will probably need 2-3 more... I wonder if you have any advice on how to handle the pain from the expansion? I hope it will last only a couple of days. I am getting 60cc each time..
    And my chest really looked like a pancake.. jaja..
    and you are right.. I was almost starting to think that they had put the expander in a bad position, because it goes from pit-side to the upper part of my chest.. but the doctor explained that is really those tissue who need to expand.. I just relieved to ear it from you too..

One good advice I had from a friend is about skin care and massaging my skin... I was very caring of my skin during radiation. In my case I asked both the radiation oncologist and the plastic surgeon about skin care but didn't receive much advice from them.. A good friend gave me some natural moisturisers to use during radiation.. and I still use one of those untill now. She also told me to move my skin, don't let it et stick to my chest and follow my ribs to get the cartilage and soflty massage it. My skin looks really really good.. I am so thankfull to my friend and wanted to share the advice!

Hi Turquoisea you bring up
    Hi Turquoisea you bring up points i forgot about ...keeping them moisturized...everyone uses different things but Vit E oil worked great for me.
    Meena a physical therapist can come in handy with the expanders also cuz they move them so they dont stick to your chest wall plus help with all the muscles and tissues around it and also if youd had nodes removed...my therapist was a big blessing during this time...they also massage the scar tissue.
    As far as what to take for the pain when and if you have it...well everyone is different in that area also...some take tylenol, muscle relaxers, prescribed painkillers or numbing creams, or ice packs...be very careful cuz you can burn yourself with the icepack since you losse feeling in that area and usually the pain only last for a day or two.
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    Options

I saw my PS today re
    I saw my PS today re scheduling reconstruction. Once insurance gives the okay we can schedule the surgery to put in the expanders. I am going to have a for real tummy tuck at the same time.

My surgeon says that the expanders/tummy tuck surgery can be done at an outpatient facility and I will only need to be off work 2 weeks or so. He also says we can do the 'expansion' relatively quickly. I know some folks take longer, but he said we can do the expansion and the exchange within 30-45 days. The tattooing, etc will need to be later.

I am SO excited to have the expanders put in, despite the posts that indicate they are less than comfortable. For the past 5 months I have have skin/fat flaps on my chest and under my arm. I haven't even been able to wear a bra to conceal the lumps. The only thing that would fit over me is a sports bra. I can't wait to feel like a human female again.

I ended in with a Staph infection in my right breast - tissue
    expander back in April '10 - so I experience what you are going thru and will go thru, just a few months ago. Tissue expanders are uncomfortable to say the least, and did I mention that they move around - never settleing into a comfortable position - Getting a good nite sleep, well is simply out of the question. However, with all that being said ... I will NEVER regret my decision.

Okay, now for the skinny. Your doctor, will want to wait at least 3 to 5 months (that's what is done here in California) . . . this is for safety reasons - for you! Your body needs time to heal from the infections - this also gives your body time to head from the bil-mact-my and all the trama you have endured during chemo .. etc .. etc. Replacing tissue expanders can result in yet another infection.

Tissue expander replacements .. fills, normally every 2 to 3 weeks - depending on your fills - 60 cc or 120 cc .. this may take 4 to 8 visits. Then PS waits for your skin and body to accept new breasts .. exchange is scheduled ..

Nipples reconstruction .. normally 2 to 6 months after exchange .. Tatt's are done at a different time - normally in your PS's office.

My intention was to provide you with another - real time "frame" you 'may' or may not be faced with, based on my experience. This is my story..

Strength, Courage and Luck:

Vicki Sam