Balding

Options
Annette 11
Annette 11 Member Posts: 380
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Oh Great, there goes the hair. There was alot of hair in my comb this morning. I'll probably be bald by wed. Today is exactly 2 weeks since my first chemo so I guess the hair is on schedule.

Comments

• mollyz
    mollyz Member Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    Annette
    Hi Annette, Sorry to hear but most of us have been their, It is the worst part to me along with the chemo, but my hair did the same thing and when i washed mine it seemed like it got so tangled and it mostly came out and then i figured if i didn't comb it it would help but no it still came out but I'm still here and thats what matters.Hugs and more Hugs Mollyz
  • Lynda53
    Lynda53 Member Posts: 210
    Options
    HI Annette, It's part of the healing
    Not that that makes it better. Did you have it cut shorter? You may find that makes it easier to handle the hair loss. Got some hats, scarves or wigs planned?
    I cut mine short as it began to come out more.I did not lose all my hair some small close to bald spots, and very thin. I am not fond of hats but I had to wear them as winter in New England is far too cold w/o hair.
    At about 3 months afer chemo, my hair was noticeably back. It is almost 6 months and it is fine, although it came back quite curly,
    Good luck,Peace
  • Jean 0609
    Jean 0609 Member Posts: 2,462
    Options
    Hi Annette,
    I agree with Lynda, if you haven't gotten your hair cut shorter, that might be a good idea. I could never bring myself to shave my head completely. Just kept getting it cut shorter & shorter. After my 4th & last chemo treatment, I still had hair, which surprised my doctor. I have thin spots up top. I decided to buzz my head so that when it started growing back, it would hopefully come back even. When I had it buzzed, she left the front a little longer. So I now have a crew cut. Most of the time when I go out, I just grab a baseball cap. I do wear one of my wigs on some occassions. Hang in there....it will come back. Hugs, Jean
  • mrs gadget
    mrs gadget Member Posts: 118
    Options
    Isn't amazing how fast that happens????
    Hi Annette,
    Like you, I lost my hair about 2 weeks after my first treatment. It happened over labor day weekend...All you can do is embrace it and crack a few jokes along the way...My husband has now affectionately named me 'tweety bird' because of my bald round head. My son and daughter are always making jokes about me using too much shampoo...its all in good fun...

Anyhow, have fun buying those hats and wigs and just know that this will all get better with time...

Mrs Gadget

PS...I have kind of dared society and am slowly showing up in public bald more often than not!! So far no one has questioned it...
  • mwallace1325
    mwallace1325 Member Posts: 806
    Options
    As my husband pointed out
    to me when I cried that first time -- that means it's working and after all isn't that just what we all want. Hang in there, it will come back.

marge
  • cahjah75
    cahjah75 Member Posts: 2,631
    Options
    Annette
    sorry to say that 75% of my hair fell day 15 after 1st chemo. I had a hair appt the next day and had my hairdresser buzz it.
    Char
  • sea60
    sea60 Member Posts: 2,613
    Options
    Sorry Annette
    Yeah, most all of us have "been there done that" so we know exactly how you feel. I remember I kept thinking I'd be one of those lucky ones who's hair just thins a bit but doesn't fall out...wrong! Like you, after about 2-3 weeks...poof.

But, if it's any consolation, try to look beyond this knowing that your hair will grow back :)

Hugs to you,

Sylvia
  • jo jo
    jo jo Member Posts: 1,175
    Options
    Hi Annette sorry the dredded
    Hi Annette sorry the dredded day came...mine was on time too...day 14! On top of that it took awhile to finish loosing the strands and i looked like smeegle for a awhile (the little creature off lord of the rings)!
  • AMomNETN
    AMomNETN Member Posts: 242
    Options
    Hair
    Annette,

I was like you and my hair started coming out so I had it shaved off. It wasn't easy. My hairdresser shaved it but I cried like a baby. It had taken me so long to grow it out. I must say my sense of humor has helped out the most. My assistant at school would talk about needing to color her hair and I'd say I needed to color mine too. I will say one good thing about losing all my hair is that showers are much shorter, about 5 mins. tops. Also this summer was so hot no hair was a blessing. I've been off chemo since July 16th and it is coming back in nicely. Looks a lot grayer but that is what Ms. Clariol is for. LOL Hang in there.

Janie
  • Annette 11
    Annette 11 Member Posts: 380
    Options
    buzz it!
    I am very much ok with it now. You know it's going to happen and you wait for the day and then boom here it is. I have shoulder length hair. I think I will just have my husband buzz it very soon. I always buzzed his, that's the way he likes his so now we'll match, it will be cute. I have wavy/curly hair if it grows in straight, that would be great!
    Thanks my sisters for your support.
  • Snowkitty
    Snowkitty Member Posts: 295
    Options

buzz it!
    I am very much ok with it now. You know it's going to happen and you wait for the day and then boom here it is. I have shoulder length hair. I think I will just have my husband buzz it very soon. I always buzzed his, that's the way he likes his so now we'll match, it will be cute. I have wavy/curly hair if it grows in straight, that would be great!

I am kinda enjoying taking a
    I am kinda enjoying taking a soapy washcloth and washing my head & face together. Makes for a short shower. Dries quickly.

Take Care,
    Cindy
  • Heatherbelle
    Heatherbelle Member Posts: 1,226 Member
    Options

buzz it!

We're here with you Annette
    We're here with you Annette :) my husband was very excited to shave my head (too excited if you ask me) - he said it would be the ONLY time in his life that he would get to shave my head & he wanted to enjoy it, lol...we shaved mine into a mohawk first. I've been overcompensating in the skin care & makeup areas since losing my hair. I bought one of those Neutrogena home microdermabrasion kits -which makes my skin soooo soft & smooth, and splurging on fancy makeup! Hey, it makes me feel better, and we are saving alot of money on shampoo & hair care products!
    *hugs*
    Heather