reconstruction - Lessons learned

Options
Bev1969
Bev1969 Member Posts: 48
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I came home yesterday after four days in the hospital with the "tummy-tuck" reconstruction. I thought I'd pass along some advice.

1) I came out of surgery around 4:00 Wednesday. Around 8:00 a resperatory therapist came to my room with his little gadget that you inhale/exhale into to prevent pneumonia. I was still in/our of it and I don't remember exactly what he said but I really sucked it in and blew and about KILLED myself!!! Talk about pain level 1 to 10 - this was a 10!! He's saying Wow, that's good and I'm screaming and grabbing at my stomach. Later I started worrying I had done something to myself. I figured it is not good to be pushing on your abdomen after 7 hours of surgery. The nurse came in and checked me out and said everything looked good. I told her what happened and she said, "Oh, you should hold a pillow across your stomach when you do that." Well, it was a little too late then!! Why don't they teach resperatory therapists to tell the patients to hold a pillow across their surgery site before blowing into their thing. Better yet, lock your door and just don't let the therapist in!!!!!

2) Day after surgery I could not go to the bathroom. So, they gave me something called a bowlus(?) in the evening to make me urinate. In the middle of the night I woke up and really had to go. I reached around me looking for the call button and could not find it. I was in pain!!! I could hear nurses talking down the hall and my room was just across from a nurses station. I started moaning and calling out and finally someone came. She said they were walking up and down the hall trying to find out who was moaning. Then she said, "Oh your call button is right here by your head!!" Like after surgery I can reach around up by my head. After that I always made sure I had the call button in my hand when I was going to sleep.

3) Buy a pair or two of sweat pants that are a size too big for you to wear when you get home. I had pants with an elastic waste that I thought I could wear but you go home with tubes and dressing and a binder and the pants I had were just uncomfortable. I'm going to have my husband go out and get something for me today.

4) It's good being home but I really missed the hospital bed last night. The nurse gave my husband a hint that I might be more comfortable sleeping with a pillow under my knees and that did help. My husband helped me into bed last night but I was actually able to get up on my own this morning.

Other than that, it hasn't been too bad. I think I actually get up and down in chairs easier than I did after the masectomy. The main thing that has been bothering me is my back hurts when I stand or walk. It's hard to stand up straight! I go to the doctor Thursday and I'm hoping he takes the drains out!

Comments

• CypressCynthia
    CypressCynthia Member Posts: 4,014 Member
    Options
    Bev, I love your post! It
    Bev, I love your post! It is so helpful to hear the real poop from patients.

Only don't give up on respiratory therapists as they prevent the awful postop complication of pneumonia. So, put that pillow across your incision and keep doing those breathing exercises.

Glad you are home and doing well! After you take a pain med, wait about 20 min, then get up and walk. It will really help you heal. Expect to heal slowly after a big surgery--it may take 6 weeks or longer, but every day will get better. Pain may persist in the late afternoon and evening and that is normal.

My thoughts and prayers are with you--please get better soon!
  • Giant Poodles
    Giant Poodles Member Posts: 79
    Options

Bev, I love your post! It
    Bev, I love your post! It is so helpful to hear the real poop from patients.

Only don't give up on respiratory therapists as they prevent the awful postop complication of pneumonia. So, put that pillow across your incision and keep doing those breathing exercises.

Glad you are home and doing well! After you take a pain med, wait about 20 min, then get up and walk. It will really help you heal. Expect to heal slowly after a big surgery--it may take 6 weeks or longer, but every day will get better. Pain may persist in the late afternoon and evening and that is normal.

My thoughts and prayers are with you--please get better soon!

Do you have drains after an
    Do you have drains after an exchange surgery?
    Rhonda
  • Bev1969
    Options

Do you have drains after an
    Do you have drains after an exchange surgery?
    Rhonda

Yes, I have four drains.
    Yes, I have four drains. One down by the tummy-tuck and three up by my "new" breast. None of them are draining much and I see the doctor Thursday so I'm hoping he takes them out.
  • Bedee
    Bedee Member Posts: 24
    Options
    Thanks for posting and have questions
    Thank you so much for sharing this information. I'm looking into the tummy tuck too, and have had some trouble finding out much about physicians/hospitals who perform this procedure regularly. Where did you have it done, and by whom? Though its early in your recovery, would you recommend the dr/hospital?

debbie
  • cahjah75
    cahjah75 Member Posts: 2,631
    Options
    Bev1969 said:

Yes, I have four drains.
    Yes, I have four drains. One down by the tummy-tuck and three up by my "new" breast. None of them are draining much and I see the doctor Thursday so I'm hoping he takes them out.

Bev
    so glad you are home from the hospital and recovering from surgery. Although I don't plan on reconstruction you have given others invaluable advice because you've been through it! Continue to heal and I'll keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

I absolutely love the picture - brings back memories (I graduated in '67) :-)
    {{gentle hugs}} Char
  • webbwife50
    webbwife50 Member Posts: 394
    Options
    tram flap
    I had tram flap reconstruction last December. I have fully recovered, other than tightness from the scars, I have regained completely the use of my arms, and a fluid build-up problem I had in my chest is also, gone. I do understand, however, that it is a very physically demanding, they contort you into a number of positions in order to do what they do, perhaps that has something to do with you back pain. My neck has been a problem since my surgery.
    alison
  • jo jo
    jo jo Member Posts: 1,175
    Options
    Hi Bev
    Glad your home from

Hi Bev
    Glad your home from the hospital and recovering now...I hope you get your drains out Thursday cuz they are no fun...keep us posted on your progress.
  • Bev1969
    Options
    Bedee said:

Thanks for posting and have questions
    Thank you so much for sharing this information. I'm looking into the tummy tuck too, and have had some trouble finding out much about physicians/hospitals who perform this procedure regularly. Where did you have it done, and by whom? Though its early in your recovery, would you recommend the dr/hospital?

debbie

I live in Indiana in a
    I live in Indiana in a northeast suburb of Indianapolis so I had the surgery done at Community North Hospital in Indianapolis. My doctor was Dr. Michael Stalnecker. I would absolutely recommend him. He is very good. The hospital is nice. The only problems I had are listed in my post.
  • heidijez
    heidijez Member Posts: 441
    Options
    thank you for posting this
    i just had my mastectomy on september 15 - so reconstruction is a way off, but met with the plastic surgeon before to discuss my options. he is suggesting the "tummy tuck" reconstruction for me. it is good to hear from someone who actually went through it.

hope you are feeling better every day and that your drains are gone!
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    Options
    heidijez said:

thank you for posting this
    i just had my mastectomy on september 15 - so reconstruction is a way off, but met with the plastic surgeon before to discuss my options. he is suggesting the "tummy tuck" reconstruction for me. it is good to hear from someone who actually went through it.

hope you are feeling better every day and that your drains are gone!

Bev .. I'm glad you are home, and in a safe place - as your
    4 drains will drive you crazy. Cleaning, measurance, pinning them to the inside of your clothing .. sleeping on you back - as not to ripe them out. Ahhh, good times!

I actually wanted the tummy tuck - reconstruction, but my PS out here in California no longer performs that surgery due to the time factor of 6 hours plus. Funny thing .. my bil lateral with tissue expanders took over 6.5 hours ..

Thank you for posting such valuable information for all the Chemo Queens, and Rad Goddess preparing for bil lateral's.

Stength and Courage:

Vicki Sam
  • Gabe N Abby Mom
    Gabe N Abby Mom Member Posts: 2,413
    Options
    Thank you. Great tips!

Thank you. Great tips!