Question about colonoscopy and fear

Options
dixiegirl
dixiegirl Member Posts: 1,043 Member
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
I have a colonoscopy scheduled in a couple weeks. Been having severe pain episodes/spasms on the right side. To the point it literally takes my breath away and has happened a few times while driving. Needless to say this scares the hell out of me when it happens. So when I went for my last maintenance (I have NHL) appointment I told my onc.

So he sent me back to my surgeon to talk about the colonoscopy. He's had me taking stool softners twice a day for a while (almost a week) to help with the pain. It is helping some but, the shape of my stools is nowhere near normal. Very thin almost ribbon shape bm's. I've had IBS off an on for years and taken stool softners before, but the shape thing is new. I'm nervous. I'm a little worried my cancer has decided to take claim on my colon.

Just wondering if anyone else has had the same types of pain episodes?

Thanks for listening.
Beth

Comments

• tootsie1
    tootsie1 Member Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    I understand
    Hey, Beth.

I've had pain on the left side severe enough to be hospitalized several times over the last 2 years. That is the side where I had the colon resection, so it always concerns me. So far all my tests have turned out normal, so we're treating it as severe IBS exacerbated by the surgery, plus scar tissue.

I think it's a good idea to have the colonoscopy just to be sure. I've done the same.

Good luck. Please let me know how it goes.

*hugs*
    Gail
  • karguy
    karguy Member Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options
    Good idea
    It's a good idea to get a colonoscopy to find out what the problem is.I've had a pain in myside for 4 weeks,and some times it makes me double over in pain.Friday the doctor had me do a cat scan to make sure what it might be.So you are not alone,I hope everything turns out ok for you.Good luck.
  • herdizziness
    herdizziness Member Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    Beth
    Absolutely no one wants to tell you they had pain on their right side too. But that was why I was diagnosed with colon cancer, the darn pain on my right side.
    But..... That doesn't mean you have colon cancer, it could be different things, even a slightly twisted colon (my brother has that, he had same pains as me, thought it was cancer, ran around scared for a couple of weeks but it turned out it was twisted colon, my daughter was also diagnosed with twisted colon as well), there are various other things it could be, appendix acting up etc.
    I know a couple of weeks seems like forever away, especially when you fear it's a cancer thing again. Try and relax and I'll be out here hoping it's something that's easily fixed.
    Winter Marie
  • christinecarl
    christinecarl Member Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    Please keep us updated.
    Please keep us updated. If the pain get worse call your Dr, maybe they could bump up the colonoscopy appt so you do not have as much time to worry. Good Luck to you.
  • dixiegirl
    Options

Please keep us updated.
    Please keep us updated. If the pain get worse call your Dr, maybe they could bump up the colonoscopy appt so you do not have as much time to worry. Good Luck to you.

Thanks
    Thank you everyone, I appreciate the feedback. I know it could be something minor and I sincerely hope that's the case here, but with cancer you can't take the same attitudes as I used to.

I am currently on maintenance Rituxan for NHL and this is my third time around with this crud. The first relapse all I knew was I was feeling like I did before chemo. I think it really surprised my onc it was back. This last time I was feeling off, and I had a drenching sweat and that's all it took for me. He did a scan and it had spread to left armpit, right lung, and a spot close to my spine near my esophagus. I have learned to listen to my body.

I'm ok, just wondering if this could still be my lyphoma.

Thanks everyone,
    Beth
  • Nana b
    Nana b Member Posts: 3,030 Member
    Options
    dixiegirl said:

Thanks
    Thank you everyone, I appreciate the feedback. I know it could be something minor and I sincerely hope that's the case here, but with cancer you can't take the same attitudes as I used to.

I am currently on maintenance Rituxan for NHL and this is my third time around with this crud. The first relapse all I knew was I was feeling like I did before chemo. I think it really surprised my onc it was back. This last time I was feeling off, and I had a drenching sweat and that's all it took for me. He did a scan and it had spread to left armpit, right lung, and a spot close to my spine near my esophagus. I have learned to listen to my body.

I'm ok, just wondering if this could still be my lyphoma.

Thanks everyone,
    Beth

lyphoma
    Thanks Beth, I am called my ONC to go ahead and get my PET Scan and any test that I need to check for lyphoma. I have 4 of these symptoms. He was already concerned with the bloating in my belly.

Symptoms

Signs and symptoms of non-Hodgkin's lymphoma may include:

* Swollen lymph nodes in your neck, armpit or groin
    * Abdominal pain or swelling
    * Chest pain, coughing or trouble breathing
    * Fatigue
    * Fever
    * Night sweats
    * Weight loss

When to see a doctor

Make an appointment with your doctor if you have any persistent signs and symptoms that worry you.
  • just4Brooks
    just4Brooks Member Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    maybe
    I get them too but mine are on the left side. I think mine is a partial blockage. I have had 4 or 5 now sense cancer was removed
  • dorookie
    dorookie Member Posts: 1,731 Member
    Options
    Hi Beth
    I didnt have any symptons with the exception of blood in my stool, but after I was DX'd looking back I guess I did have some. I had fatigue, thin stool, but no pain.

I am really praying you wont have cancer there. Best of Luck to ya..

HUGS
    Beth
  • vhtqm1
    vhtqm1 Member Posts: 107
    Options
    try to get test performed sooner!
    "shape of my stools is nowhere near normal. Very thin almost ribbon shape"

this is concerning to say the least. i would pursue getting this checked out sooner rather then later. i would not wait!!

ed
  • dixiegirl
    Options
    vhtqm1 said:

try to get test performed sooner!
    "shape of my stools is nowhere near normal. Very thin almost ribbon shape"

this is concerning to say the least. i would pursue getting this checked out sooner rather then later. i would not wait!!

ed

Test next wed
    I'm on the downhill slide to test time, it's wednesday morning. I'm still taking the miralax and the stools are still thin. I know there is a problem, but of course still hoping for minor problem. I almost called my onc today to see if this is something to worry about, but decided the test is coming soon enough....just a few more days.

I just hate waiting. I want answers LOL. I have never waited so much in my entire life until I got cancer. Patience has never been my easiest thing to deal with. I just really don't want to start drinking all that crap! :)

Oh well, it'll be ok. One moment at a time right?

Beth