Fight breast cancer, but also monitor for heart disease

Options
CypressCynthia
CypressCynthia Member Posts: 4,014 Member
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I am old timer survivor--still battling the disease after 23 yrs. I also had a mild heart attack in 2008. I had NO risk factors for the heart attack: was not overweight, exercised, no family history, low blood pressure, normal cholesterol, etc.

Luckily I was aware (somewhere stored in the back of my brain) that breast cancer survivors are at higher risk for heart disease. Being aware, I called 911 when I had chest pain and chewed an aspirin, 2 moves that probably saved my life.

Researchers at Duke University call the breast cancer survivor's increased risk the "multiple hit hypothesis"-- meaning chemo, rads, etc all contribute to an increased risk of heart disease. Some reasearchers are suggesting that we need a new medical specialty: oncocardiology. See the article at the link below.

Not trying to scare anyone, but just suggesting that we need to be aware and try and be healthy in all ways. I still would absolutely do my same treatment again, because, yea, I am here as an old timer! Just want everyone to be alert and get your cholesterol checked, keep your blood pressure down, stop smoking, etc, etc. And if you have symptoms of a heart attack (I'll put that link on here too), call immediately for help.

Article: http://www.wingscancerfoundation.org/documents/Early Breast Cancer Therapy and Cardiovascular Injury.pdf

Heart attack symptoms in women: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/heart-attack-symptoms/HB00054

Comments

• jo jo
    jo jo Member Posts: 1,175
    Options
    Cynthia thanks so much for
    Cynthia thanks so much for posting this...i think we should all be aware of this as scary as it may be.
    After each chemo treatment my heart would beat hard and fast for a couple days and i even do it once in awhile now and ive been done with chemo for 4-5 months now...but it does take a toll on the ol' ticker.
    I do see a cardiologist just to keep an eye on things for now.
  • cahjah75
    cahjah75 Member Posts: 2,631
    Options
    Cynthia this is something
    that's in the back of my mind. Both my mother and father have some heart abnormalities. After gaining 80#s during menopause (I quit a 38 yr smoking habit) I developed high bp, cholesterol and osteoarthritis. I was also very depressed and it has taken me years to feel well enough to do something about my weight. Last spring I joined WW and lost 20#s and last fall I lost 25#s after seeing a naturapathic dr. I was at my lowest weight in more than 10 years in April. Since being dx with bc I've gained 30#s. Stress, bloating from chemo, swelling from steroids, lack of exercise and just plain eating the wrong foods at the wrong time have gotten me to a place I never wanted to be at again! I'm hoping I can get my act together once again before I too have heart problems. Thanks for the reminder!
    Char
  • CypressCynthia
    CypressCynthia Member Posts: 4,014 Member
    Options
    cahjah75 said:

Cynthia this is something
    that's in the back of my mind. Both my mother and father have some heart abnormalities. After gaining 80#s during menopause (I quit a 38 yr smoking habit) I developed high bp, cholesterol and osteoarthritis. I was also very depressed and it has taken me years to feel well enough to do something about my weight. Last spring I joined WW and lost 20#s and last fall I lost 25#s after seeing a naturapathic dr. I was at my lowest weight in more than 10 years in April. Since being dx with bc I've gained 30#s. Stress, bloating from chemo, swelling from steroids, lack of exercise and just plain eating the wrong foods at the wrong time have gotten me to a place I never wanted to be at again! I'm hoping I can get my act together once again before I too have heart problems. Thanks for the reminder!
    Char

We all slide sometimes and I
    We all slide sometimes and I was the biggest slider during chemo. I now fight fatigue at times to get to the gym, but I keep struggling and I always feel better when I do. We are eating better and really trying to include lots of antioxidants in our diet. All of this is hard. My philosophy now is any little positive change is good and, if I slide, just try again.
  • Annette 11
    Annette 11 Member Posts: 380
    Options
    Wow, did not know.
    Cynthia, I certainly was not aware of this. This is good information and I will pay attention. I will ask my onc. about my Lipitor wed. when I go to app.
    thanks!
  • Moopy23
    Moopy23 Member Posts: 1,751 Member
    Options
    Thank you, Cynthia, for this
    Thank you, Cynthia, for this important and timely information. I will save the link. My onc. in St. Louis advised that I be monitored by a cardiologist familiar with chemo-related issues. She recommended an echocardiogram yearly. My local onc. did not agree, but my PCP has ordered the echo. So another reminder to us to be our own advocates and to educate ourselves. Thank you again for helping your pink sisters to do just that.
  • Ritzy
    Ritzy Member Posts: 4,381 Member
    Options
    Moopy23 said:

Thank you, Cynthia, for this
    Thank you, Cynthia, for this important and timely information. I will save the link. My onc. in St. Louis advised that I be monitored by a cardiologist familiar with chemo-related issues. She recommended an echocardiogram yearly. My local onc. did not agree, but my PCP has ordered the echo. So another reminder to us to be our own advocates and to educate ourselves. Thank you again for helping your pink sisters to do just that.

Thanks Cynthia for this
    Thanks Cynthia for this valuable information! I love it when we all look out for each other. You know..sisters in pink forever!

Sue :)
  • Jean 0609
    Jean 0609 Member Posts: 2,462
    Options
    Thanks Cynthia,
    This was very informative. I appreciate everything you do. Hugs, Jean
  • New Flower
    New Flower Member Posts: 4,294
    Options
    Jean 0609 said:

Thanks Cynthia,
    This was very informative. I appreciate everything you do. Hugs, Jean

Thanks
    Good topic. I also under cardiologist watch, just to be sure that everything is normal Radiation was on my left side it is for everyone who had radiation on left side to be checked up. chemo including Herceptin can contribute to heart problems. also many of us have been taking estrogen blockers or ovaries removed that often leads to high cholisterol and blood pressure,