LIPITOR?

Options
Annette 11
Annette 11 Member Posts: 380
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
DOES ANYONE TAKE CHOLESTRAL RX. LIPITOR? ARE YOU CONTINUING TO TAKE IT WHILE GOING THROUGH CHEMO?? WILL IT INTERFERE WITH CHEMO TREATMENT? HAVEN'T ASKED ONC. THIS YET BUT I WANT TO KNOW WHAT OTHERS ARE DOING.
THANKS YOU ARE ALL ALWAYS SO HELPFUL.

Comments

• CypressCynthia
    CypressCynthia Member Posts: 4,014 Member
    Options
    I am on zocor (nearly the
    I am on zocor (nearly the same drug). The main things you will have to watch out for are peripheral neuropathies (which both chemo and lipitor can cause) and liver toxicity (which you don't have to worry about much because your oncologist will be following your liver enzymes closely).

But having had a heart attack probably related to chemo and radiation that I had years ago, I would not quit taking my lipitor without discussing it with my oncologist. Lipitor is usely very safe, well-tolerated and extremely heart protective as it not only decreases cholesterol but it also reduces inflammation that is so very heart damaging. It is also over the counter in some countries.

That is my take on the subject, but please discuss yo0ur worries with yours docs!
  • cahjah75
    cahjah75 Member Posts: 2,631
    Options
    I took Zocor until funny things
    started happening with my liver. I've been off it for a year. Please ask your oncologist!
    {{hugs}} Char