not sure what to think

Options
heidijez
heidijez Member Posts: 441
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
went to the hospital on friday for my first follow-up post surgery. got drains removed (yay!) also got pathology report from mastectomy. no cancer in breast, but 16 of 20 lymph nodes were full of cancer.

my follow-up with my medical oncologist is on monday, october 4. i also meet with the radiation oncologist that same day.

trying not to overthink this - and be calm about everything but it seems to me that 16 out 20 nodes indicating cancer cannot be a good thing.

any advice or personal experience you care to share?

thanks, heidi

Comments

• Jean 0609
    Jean 0609 Member Posts: 2,462
    Options
    Hi Heidi,
    Glad to hear that they removed the drains. However, sorry about the nodes. Unfortunately, I can't share any advise about positive nodes. I know some of our sisters here will be able to help you. Continuing to send prayers your way. Hugs, Jean
  • roseann4
    roseann4 Member Posts: 992 Member
    Options
    Jean 0609 said:

Hi Heidi,
    Glad to hear that they removed the drains. However, sorry about the nodes. Unfortunately, I can't share any advise about positive nodes. I know some of our sisters here will be able to help you. Continuing to send prayers your way. Hugs, Jean

Don't panic...
    Your nodes were doing their job of catching the cancer cells. The chemo will hopefully kill off any cells that may have escaped. If you are hormone positive, they will also give you 5 year treatment designed to starve the cells. Of course it is better to be node negative but many women who are node positive survive with treatment. Best advise is to take this journey one step at a time. Hugs.

Roseann
  • heidijez
    Options
    roseann4 said:

Don't panic...
    Your nodes were doing their job of catching the cancer cells. The chemo will hopefully kill off any cells that may have escaped. If you are hormone positive, they will also give you 5 year treatment designed to starve the cells. Of course it is better to be node negative but many women who are node positive survive with treatment. Best advise is to take this journey one step at a time. Hugs.

Roseann

already spent almost 8 months in chemo prior to surgery
    and am triple negative, so no five year treatment options. have inflammatory breast cancer - protocol is different with this type.
  • Rague
    Rague Member Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    IBC is 'different'
    Sounds good to me considering it's IBC. For me, A/C did shrink and get good margins it did not get rid of the cancer in breast tissue (or nodes). My tumor was still quite large and there were 17 pos. nodes. Oct 21st will be a year since surgery and am doing great. Sept 30 I saw both my chemo and rad Drs. Chemo Dr wants to see me in 6 mths and rads Dr doesn't want to see me anymore (unless God forbid - needed). I see surgeon Oct 18th and my PA sometime (have to look it up - I "furgit" the date) in Oct for my 'annual well woman' appointment.

Susan
  • heidijez
    Options
    Rague said:

IBC is 'different'
    Sounds good to me considering it's IBC. For me, A/C did shrink and get good margins it did not get rid of the cancer in breast tissue (or nodes). My tumor was still quite large and there were 17 pos. nodes. Oct 21st will be a year since surgery and am doing great. Sept 30 I saw both my chemo and rad Drs. Chemo Dr wants to see me in 6 mths and rads Dr doesn't want to see me anymore (unless God forbid - needed). I see surgeon Oct 18th and my PA sometime (have to look it up - I "furgit" the date) in Oct for my 'annual well woman' appointment.

Susan

thanks, susan
    you made me feel a bit better about all of this - that's why this board is so important!
  • Rague
    Rague Member Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    Rague said:

IBC is 'different'

Susan

OOPS
    It's not Sept 30 yet - it was Aug 30 I saw Dr. T and Dr. P. (If I knew how to add 'smilies' there woul be a BIG red face one here)
  • Marsha Mulvey
    Marsha Mulvey Member Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    heidijez said:

thanks, susan
    you made me feel a bit better about all of this - that's why this board is so important!

heidi
    Happy to hear that your recovery from surgery is moving forward. Sorry to hear about the lymph nodes. With this development, I was wondering if they are planning an MRI or scan to follow up?
    Best wishes and stay positive. Marsha
  • Eil4186
    Eil4186 Member Posts: 949
    Options
    Sorry about your nodes. I
    Sorry about your nodes. I can't speak to that, but I know there are many with pos nodes who recover and do well. I will be praying for you! Keep the faith. Eil
  • Eil4186
    Eil4186 Member Posts: 949
    Options
    Sorry about your nodes. I
    Sorry about your nodes. I can't speak to that, but I know there are many with pos nodes who recover and do well. I will be praying for you! Keep the faith. Eil
  • Gabe N Abby Mom
    Gabe N Abby Mom Member Posts: 2,413
    Options
    I'll keep you in my thoughts on the fourth
    I'm also TN and IBC, but not as far on the journey. I just had the 2nd chemo.

What tests did you have prior to chemo? I had a bone scan, a MUGA, and an MRI all to confirm the cancer was contained in the breast and the lymph nodes prior to chemo. (I know I'll have many lymph nodes involved also, there's swelling about the size of a baseball in my left armpit.)

If you haven't had any of those tests, request them. You need the reassurance that the chemo has done it's job and "contained" the cancer. If you've had some of these tests and there was no cancer present before chemo, trust that those daily battles you fought for eight months and the poison chemo did what it was supposed to do.

It seems like this another of those tough times waiting for information. From what I've read in your posts you are a strong warrior, and you are strong enough for this too.

Sending you lots of positive thoughts!

Linda
  • jo jo
    jo jo Member Posts: 1,175
    Options
    Hi Heidi
    I dont really know

Hi Heidi
    I dont really know anything about IBC since it is somewhat different but i just wanted to let ya know im glad your thru with the mastectomy and got the drains out and im sorry to hear about the nodes but like someone else said your nodes did their job. Keep us updated when you talk with your doc's.
  • Aortus
    Aortus Member Posts: 967
    Options
    Roseann makes a good point
    I wish it would have been zero of 20 lymphnodes. But four nodes *did* not show signs of malignant cells. As Roseann points out, it would appear like your lymphatic system has held the cancer at bay. You're right that 16/20 is overall not a good thing, but even among the bad, there is hope... Rague is alive and well and kicking &@$^@&$@$& a year after *her* surgery and she had even more positive nodes than you did. We all look forward to hearing you say the same thing this time next year!

Love and prayers,
    Moopy and Joe
  • cahjah75
    cahjah75 Member Posts: 2,631
    Options
    Heidi
    sorry about all the node involvement. I had none. I'm sure others will share their experience. And, your oncologist/radiologist will suggest treatment. Best wishes.....
    {{hugs}} Char
  • Moopy23
    Moopy23 Member Posts: 1,751 Member
    Options
    heidijez said:

thanks, susan

Hope you continue to feel
    Hope you continue to feel more encouraged and optimistic, Heidi. Rague and Roseanne's posts show that you have every reason to keep your spirits up. Of course, no nodes or fewer nodes are best, but clear nodes are no guarantee--not a lot of guarantees in life or cancer. The key thing is that you are fighting this battle, and you're doing a great job, despite different obstacles you've faced along the way.
  • Katz77
    Katz77 Member Posts: 598
    Options
    I had 18/20 nodes positive.
    I had 18/20 nodes positive. 5.3cm tumor. IDC stage3c. One year and 3 months clear. Had chemo and rads. Just ordered me a t-shirt from cafepress that says "remission rocks". How's that for being cocky?
    Question for you, no breast tumor, so all cancer cells in nodes are breast cancer cells?
    Keeping you and all the sistas in my prayers. Good luck on the 4th. I have onc appt on wed. Hope he releases me to see him every 6 mon instead of every 3. Katz
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member
    Options
    Katz77 said:

I had 18/20 nodes positive.
    I had 18/20 nodes positive. 5.3cm tumor. IDC stage3c. One year and 3 months clear. Had chemo and rads. Just ordered me a t-shirt from cafepress that says "remission rocks". How's that for being cocky?
    Question for you, no breast tumor, so all cancer cells in nodes are breast cancer cells?
    Keeping you and all the sistas in my prayers. Good luck on the 4th. I have onc appt on wed. Hope he releases me to see him every 6 mon instead of every 3. Katz

mark the calendar for next
    mark the calendar for next year!!! We are with you heidi! My thing has always been ya just dont know what to think because we dont know. so think positively. You have an aggressive breast cancer, so they need to treat it aggressively. the chemo was effective because it killed the cancer in the breast. they removed the cancer in the nodes, so you may need further treatment to make sure no liitle nasty guys got out. because cancer can be persistent. so pathology determines the treatment. many women with positive nodes do well and so can you !
  • aysemari
    aysemari Member Posts: 1,596 Member
    Options
    WOW Heidi,
    it must be inspiring to hear all these wonderful women, tell you about their
    journey. Please take their advice to heart and let their stories give you hope.

This is why I love this board.

Ayse
  • smalldoggroomer
    smalldoggroomer Member Posts: 1,184
    Options
    Glad you got your drains out!!
    That must be a relief.. Sorry to hear about the nodes though. Keep us posted on your journey. You remain in my prayers and thoughts as always. Kay