Faithful companion

Options
sea60
sea60 Member Posts: 2,613
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
For many, our pets are like family. I remember many times being at home alone, recuperating from something or other, it would just me and my chihuahua, Abby. I knew she was feeling my pain when her little sad eyes would look at me as if asking "Are you okay?" She was my little constant companion.

Has any one else felt the intuitiveness of your four-legged friend? Any pet stories to share about how they help you cope or give you joy?

Hugs to all,

Sylvia

Comments

• survives
    survives Member Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Furkids
    Furbabies are so special............they give us love unconditionally, and really ask nothing in return. I have 3 terrior crosses in the house...(should be 2, but that's a long story) My two boys were right there from the beginning, and each time I was on the couch, one was at my feet, and the other was on my chest. Unfortunately, it was the middle of summer, but did I move them off? Nope!! The littliest one would (and still does) rub his head in the hollow where my breast used to be, as if to say, "No worries, I still like it!". The bigger one just was a comfort, and if I slept, he was/is right by my side.

All animals, I think, have an uncanny ability to know when we are distressed, and they are there through it all. Never waivering. Always comforting. Too bad the human counterpart doesn't always respond this way.
  • meena1
    meena1 Member Posts: 1,003
    Options
    survives said:

Furkids
    Furbabies are so special............they give us love unconditionally, and really ask nothing in return. I have 3 terrior crosses in the house...(should be 2, but that's a long story) My two boys were right there from the beginning, and each time I was on the couch, one was at my feet, and the other was on my chest. Unfortunately, it was the middle of summer, but did I move them off? Nope!! The littliest one would (and still does) rub his head in the hollow where my breast used to be, as if to say, "No worries, I still like it!". The bigger one just was a comfort, and if I slept, he was/is right by my side.

All animals, I think, have an uncanny ability to know when we are distressed, and they are there through it all. Never waivering. Always comforting. Too bad the human counterpart doesn't always respond this way.

Our dog, Lola, does lay
    Our dog, Lola, does lay right next to me while i sleep. She does seem to be a bit calmer when she is with me.
  • pinkflutterby
    pinkflutterby Member Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    My pets for sure
    Mine for sure! My 2 little dogs sit with me all day and my golden retreiver sits at my feet. My cat sleeps on my pillow or next to me every night. Love them they are like family :))) (sometimes better) lol
  • jo jo
    jo jo Member Posts: 1,175
    Options
    LOL Survives...Furkids /
    LOL Survives...Furkids / Furbabies...i love that!

I have 2 really big fat cats...one is Max (total black...great for halloween...hehe) and then theres Sunshine cuz shes a blonde.
    Sunshine will not leave my side...if i go into another room even the bathroom she follows me...when im on the computer she trys to lay on my laptop cuz she wants on my lap if she cant do that then she will lay as close as she can to me...when we sleep she has to sleep at my chest and under the covers. She contantly head butts me or will gently put her paw on my hands or face and when i come home she goes nuts and just meows till i pet her. As annoying as it is sometimes i wouldnt have it anyother way...i love my big fat kitties!
  • Marsha Mulvey
    Marsha Mulvey Member Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    jo jo said:

LOL Survives...Furkids /
    LOL Survives...Furkids / Furbabies...i love that!

I have 2 really big fat cats...one is Max (total black...great for halloween...hehe) and then theres Sunshine cuz shes a blonde.
    Sunshine will not leave my side...if i go into another room even the bathroom she follows me...when im on the computer she trys to lay on my laptop cuz she wants on my lap if she cant do that then she will lay as close as she can to me...when we sleep she has to sleep at my chest and under the covers. She contantly head butts me or will gently put her paw on my hands or face and when i come home she goes nuts and just meows till i pet her. As annoying as it is sometimes i wouldnt have it anyother way...i love my big fat kitties!

me too
    How wonderful it is to have the love of these caring creatures. I was always a "dog person", and still love them. But now I have turned into a cat person. Since getting divorced and moving into an apartment 2 years ago with my 2 cats, I've added 2 more. They don't require as much space! Don't worry, I won't be adding any more. They all are as unique and individual as we are. Elvis is 6 and gray and white. Chloe is 3, she's a brown/grey tabby, Dottie is white with very dark gray (not black) spots and dots, she's 2, then there's Corky, he's just 1 and is an orange tabby.

Elvis has aged well, evolving from a "leave me alone, where's the food" kind of guy - into an affectonate companion. He seems to be checking out my breathing every morning. Chloe is the clown of the group, her antics add laughter to my life every day. Dottie loves her mama but doesn't care for other humans! She also checks my breathing. Corky is the "lover" of the bunch. When I'm home he requires much attention, constantly wanting to love and be loved. If you want to drop in, he'll accept and give that love to others too!

What would I do without them? Gotta' love 'em.
    Marsha
  • RE
    RE Member Posts: 4,591 Member
    Options
    YOU BET!
    Oh for sure, when I was first dx with cancer and then the second time around I had 3 cats and a little 12 lb dog (I still have the dog and one of the cats), anyway on down days they always seemed to know. Each one would take turns laying next to me in my chair and sometimes they all would rally near me and stay to keep me company and to give me warmth. I know that was the reason because once treatment was over and I got better that stopped being so direct with their company :-). They too helped me to heal and I am very grateful!

(¯`v´¯)
    .`*.¸.*RE´
  • Aortus
    Aortus Member Posts: 967
    Options
    Two years ago...
    It was late October, and Moopy had just had her "concerning" ultrasound and we were waiting to go in for the biopsy. We knew that the biopsy would contain bad news... we just didn't know how much or how bad. We were both trying our best to discuss our own fears and hopes without scaring the other one half to death. Moopy kept telling me to get married again, and I kept protesting that I was still married to her, and all that.

One such evening, Moopy and I were sitting next to each other on our living room floor, trying to talk through what life held in store for us in the foreseeable future. Our three dogs, Eefy, Yongy, and Nubi (their pictures are on my Expressions page), were all curled up fast asleep on the couch. There were breaks in the conversation. There were tears. It was terrible.

Just when the sadness and the tears was about to become unbearable, Nubi awoke with a grunt and hopped down on the floor. He began to breakdance and warble and wag his tail and burrow and to do all of the other goofy stuff in his arsenal of weirdness. It wasn't long before Moopy and I were laughing aloud at our bizarre little weinerbeagle. Once Nubi noticed that we we had gotten a grip, he hopped back up on the couch with Eefy and Yongy, curled up, and fell right back to sleep... as if he had done his job.

As indeed he did. As doggie IQs go, our little Anubis Presley is definitely no rocket scientist. But nobody will ever convince either the Moopster or me that Nubi didn't know exactly what he was doing.
  • Boppy_of_6
    Boppy_of_6 Member Posts: 1,138
    Options
    Aortus said:

Two years ago...
    It was late October, and Moopy had just had her "concerning" ultrasound and we were waiting to go in for the biopsy. We knew that the biopsy would contain bad news... we just didn't know how much or how bad. We were both trying our best to discuss our own fears and hopes without scaring the other one half to death. Moopy kept telling me to get married again, and I kept protesting that I was still married to her, and all that.

One such evening, Moopy and I were sitting next to each other on our living room floor, trying to talk through what life held in store for us in the foreseeable future. Our three dogs, Eefy, Yongy, and Nubi (their pictures are on my Expressions page), were all curled up fast asleep on the couch. There were breaks in the conversation. There were tears. It was terrible.

Just when the sadness and the tears was about to become unbearable, Nubi awoke with a grunt and hopped down on the floor. He began to breakdance and warble and wag his tail and burrow and to do all of the other goofy stuff in his arsenal of weirdness. It wasn't long before Moopy and I were laughing aloud at our bizarre little weinerbeagle. Once Nubi noticed that we we had gotten a grip, he hopped back up on the couch with Eefy and Yongy, curled up, and fell right back to sleep... as if he had done his job.

As indeed he did. As doggie IQs go, our little Anubis Presley is definitely no rocket scientist. But nobody will ever convince either the Moopster or me that Nubi didn't know exactly what he was doing.

I am a dog person, right now
    I am a dog person, right now I have a yorkie and a chihauhau. My yorkie, Walker always wants to be by me. Max is older and was really my husbands dog (long story). I had knee surgery 4 yrs ago, at that time I had a boxer she was so attentive to me. She walked right beside me on the side of the hurt knee and sat on that side of me. She did not like anyone getting on that side of me. I had to have her put down 11 months ago :o( she was old and had cancer. I babied her and cried like a baby myself all the way to the vets that day, and many days before. Dogs and cats are usually more comfort that people, they ask nothing in return but your love. God Bless
    (((Hugs))) Janice
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member
    Options

I am a dog person, right now
    I am a dog person, right now I have a yorkie and a chihauhau. My yorkie, Walker always wants to be by me. Max is older and was really my husbands dog (long story). I had knee surgery 4 yrs ago, at that time I had a boxer she was so attentive to me. She walked right beside me on the side of the hurt knee and sat on that side of me. She did not like anyone getting on that side of me. I had to have her put down 11 months ago :o( she was old and had cancer. I babied her and cried like a baby myself all the way to the vets that day, and many days before. Dogs and cats are usually more comfort that people, they ask nothing in return but your love. God Bless
    (((Hugs))) Janice

I have an 8 year old golden
    I have an 8 year old golden retreiver, when I was on chemo and basically in bed, he would lay on the floor beside me. Occ he would get up "check" on me and then lay down again. I am his favorite, I think because I was with him the most as a puppy. today I was trying to do exersizes on a mat and he was so happy laying on top of me, trying to snuggle, rolling on his back smiling, just cracked us all up. No matter what direction we are all going in, we have one thing in common as we love our quirky golden he fits right in! Animals are the best!!
    Oh and Joe I had the same conversation with my husband about getting remarried, he says"Oh no there will be no other" not sure its a compliment hehe!!!
  • Marsha Mulvey
    Marsha Mulvey Member Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    carkris said:

I have an 8 year old golden
    I have an 8 year old golden retreiver, when I was on chemo and basically in bed, he would lay on the floor beside me. Occ he would get up "check" on me and then lay down again. I am his favorite, I think because I was with him the most as a puppy. today I was trying to do exersizes on a mat and he was so happy laying on top of me, trying to snuggle, rolling on his back smiling, just cracked us all up. No matter what direction we are all going in, we have one thing in common as we love our quirky golden he fits right in! Animals are the best!!
    Oh and Joe I had the same conversation with my husband about getting remarried, he says"Oh no there will be no other" not sure its a compliment hehe!!!

hey joe and moopy
    I just realized that if we put two (of our many) pets together, we have ELVIS PRESLEY. WOW!
    Can anyone beat that one?! lol
    Marsha
  • Aortus
    Aortus Member Posts: 967
    Options

hey joe and moopy
    I just realized that if we put two (of our many) pets together, we have ELVIS PRESLEY. WOW!
    Can anyone beat that one?! lol
    Marsha

Anubis really likes that!
    His middle name is "Presley" because whatever kind of mutt he is... he definitely ain't nothing but a hound dog! He sends lots of AAARFs and tail wags to his new pal Elvis.
  • Sher43009
    Sher43009 Member Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    Aortus said:

His middle name is "Presley" because whatever kind of mutt he is... he definitely ain't nothing but a hound dog! He sends lots of AAARFs and tail wags to his new pal Elvis.

Chihuahua story...
    I had a lumpectomy in June 2009 and since I live alone, I stayed with my newphew and his wife (both are nurses) for 2 nights. They have 2 chihuahuas that I had only met twice before and both of them stayed with me the entire time. One slept between my feet or legs and the other one next to my head. When anyone came in to check on me they would both sit up as if to say "leave her alone, we've got it covered". Very sweet.

During treatment my 2 cats, Cali for my calico, and Lyon for my orange tiger wouldn't leave me alone. Followed me everywhere, bringing me "presents" (dead birds, voles and squirels). I tell them it's a good thing you're cute cuz you sure are gross! Both were strays that were dropped off at my sister's house. I had Cali for 14 years before I had to but her down last Nov. and Lyon for 15 years now. Can't imagine life without furkids.

Sher
  • CypressCynthia
    CypressCynthia Member Posts: 4,014 Member
    Options
    My pets are such joys!
    My pets are such joys!

Cindy Lou is a precious terrier, dachshund, poodle mix that we adopted from the shelter. She is a lap dog and also funny. Just a delight and Danny and I love her to death!

We only wanted to have 1 dog now, but one morning, while walking Cindy Lou, she began barking at something in a bush down the street. We found a beautiful golden/lab mix dog with tire marks over her chest unable to move. Danny had to carry her to our car as she was unable to move anything but her tail. Turns out, she had been a shelter dog so she had a microchip. We called her owner, but he had dumped her and didn't want her. We named her Maggie and she is so sweet and loving. Whenever I leave home, she greets me with the biggest goofiest smile.

We also have 2 cats: Grizzly (vet adoption) and Impulse. Impulse was a stray in the neighborhood who adopted us. Grizzly we already had after the vet talked us into taking him. After every surgery, Grizzly likes to curl up next to me and it is so comforting. He is a large, long-haired grey kitty and soft and warm. He is very sweet and unusual in that he is so gentle with other cats. He took to Impulse right away and grooms him all the time.

What joys they all are! And between the dog walks and the pet care, I know they keep me healthier. Most of all, they are such a comfort when I feel bad.
  • j2twin
    j2twin Member Posts: 28
    Options
    pets
    During my treatment and when I was sad my cat would climb in my lap which he only does when he wants to be fed. Or he'd run around to make me laught. My sisters dog would come over and let me pet her but she is 16 years old and she not a dog that like to be touched. She has bad hips and my sister and I decided to put her down in a couple of days because she can not longer stand long enough to do her business. We have been giving her pain pills but short of a hip replacement there is nothing we can do. She is to old for the surgery.
  • PinkWillow
    PinkWillow Member Posts: 11
    Options
    Unconditional
    In October 2009, my mom was hospitalized for two weeks. My cat, then nineteen years old, took a turn for the worse, stopped eating, and I thought I would have to help him pass away. He seemed to be in no pain, though, so his vet and I decided to wait until the issue with my mom was resolved. Well, my mom died, my cat (Rufus Dufus Roughouser Studmuffin) started eating again and is now twenty years old and doing really great. Still jumping up on furniture, insisting on having whatever he wants and acting like a true cat. During recovery from surgery and through chemo I spent a lot of time on my sofa, and so did he! It seems he just can't get enough of me - and no matter what I do, he loves me. My son came to visit (he lives in another state) last week, and he couldn't believe how great Rufus looks and acts!!

Sometimes I wonder if God knew what I was about to go through, and saved him to comfort me.
  • chenheart
    chenheart Member Posts: 5,159
    Options
    Aortus said:

I have a ridgeback mix with
    I have a ridgeback mix with the tell-tale "houndy" bark...or should I say howl?? When he looks at me with the most pitiful and pitiable face imaginable,obviously trying to get me to do something for him against my better judgenment~ I invariably say "You ain't nothing but a hound-dog!" That's the only Elvis story I have...

Well, not exactly! When the Lord Of The Rings movie trilogy played, and the Elf played by Liv Tyler made her exit, of course I leaned into Reggie and said "Elf-ish has left the building!" Whaaaaaat? You expected something else from me??? I didn't think so!

Hugs,
    Chen♥
  • survivorbc09
    survivorbc09 Member Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options

Unconditional
    In October 2009, my mom was hospitalized for two weeks. My cat, then nineteen years old, took a turn for the worse, stopped eating, and I thought I would have to help him pass away. He seemed to be in no pain, though, so his vet and I decided to wait until the issue with my mom was resolved. Well, my mom died, my cat (Rufus Dufus Roughouser Studmuffin) started eating again and is now twenty years old and doing really great. Still jumping up on furniture, insisting on having whatever he wants and acting like a true cat. During recovery from surgery and through chemo I spent a lot of time on my sofa, and so did he! It seems he just can't get enough of me - and no matter what I do, he loves me. My son came to visit (he lives in another state) last week, and he couldn't believe how great Rufus looks and acts!!

Sometimes I wonder if God knew what I was about to go through, and saved him to comfort me.

We have a loving and sweet
    We have a loving and sweet cat that has been such a comfort to me. He has always been loving, but, it seemed that after I got diagnosed with bc, that he seemed even more so.

He would just lay on my lap for hours if I let him and look up at me with those big eyes like he was saying that everything will be ok.

I always believed that animals have that extra sense and they know when something isn't right.

Hugs, Jan
  • Rague
    Rague Member Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    Shortly after I started A/C,
    Shortly after I started A/C, Hubby lost his beloved 'red prairie dog' to cancer. (She looked like a BIG red prairie dog when she would sit up to beg and she had come from Pine Ridge Rez so she was his 'red prairie dog' - she hated me.) He had decided years before that when something happened to her, he wanted a Black and Tan **** Hound. He hadn't found one. I had suggested several time that he go to the local Humane Society and see what he could find there but he wouldn't. Well 2 days before my surgery I decided to stop there and see what was there - there was a female Black and Tan in one of the cages. The tag on her cage had her listed as a "Black lab Cross" - come on peebles she is a classic hound and is black and tan. We have since found her original owner and she is registered - he got rid of her because she doesn' 'want to hunt' according to him - that's OK all she has to do now is be hubby's 'little girl'. 12 years before this same Humane Society had my Gordon Setter there [along with his registration papers in their possession] and they had him listed as a 'long haired Rotty mix'. Hubby and Son were there when I had surgery and after I was in my room they took off to the barn to feed and with Son's help they did stop to see Dixie at the shelter. When they came back to the hospital, he very sheepishly said "I found my Hound" (she had to stay til she was spayed which they had said would be done on Fri). The next day when Son picked me up to go home, we stopped at the Humane Society on the way home so I could see her again. We were told that we could go ahead and take her as they had spayed her the day before. We decided to leave her there and let Hubby pick her up later as she was a bit rambunctious and as Son had to make a run to Ft. Meade to pick up my meds and I really didn't want to deal with a big dog I really didn't know right then. Hubby picked her up on the way home that night and she walked (well more bounded) into the house, walked over to me and flopped down on the floor next to the couch I was laying on. She was never more than a few inches from me for months unless Hubby was home. She still is within a foot or 2 of where I am while Hubby is gone but the minute he walks in she's with him and forgets me unless she wants 'treats' then she comes over and sits up for bits of dog food (LOL Hound sitting up and begging for treats like a little dog is funny looking!) She thinks she's a 'lap dog' and spends most evening in his recliner with him - yeah they over fill it!

Sorry for rambling.

Susan
  • Rague
    Rague Member Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    Shortly after I started A/C, Hubby lost his beloved 'red prairie dog' to cancer. (She looked like a BIG red prairie dog when she would sit up to beg and she had come from Pine Ridge Rez so she was his 'red prairie dog' - she hated me.) He had decided years before that when something happened to her, he wanted a Black and Tan **** Hound. He hadn't found one. I had suggested several time that he go to the local Humane Society and see what he could find there but he wouldn't. Well 2 days before my surgery I decided to stop there and see what was there - there was a female Black and Tan in one of the cages. The tag on her cage had her listed as a "Black lab Cross" - come on peebles she is a classic hound and is black and tan. We have since found her original owner and she is registered - he got rid of her because she doesn' 'want to hunt' according to him - that's OK all she has to do now is be hubby's 'little girl'. 12 years before this same Humane Society had my Gordon Setter there [along with his registration papers in their possession] and they had him listed as a 'long haired Rotty mix'. Hubby and Son were there when I had surgery and after I was in my room they took off to the barn to feed and with Son's help they did stop to see Dixie at the shelter. When they came back to the hospital, he very sheepishly said "I found my Hound" (she had to stay til she was spayed which they had said would be done on Fri). The next day when Son picked me up to go home, we stopped at the Humane Society on the way home so I could see her again. We were told that we could go ahead and take her as they had spayed her the day before. We decided to leave her there and let Hubby pick her up later as she was a bit rambunctious and as Son had to make a run to Ft. Meade to pick up my meds and I really didn't want to deal with a big dog I really didn't know right then. Hubby picked her up on the way home that night and she walked (well more bounded) into the house, walked over to me and flopped down on the floor next to the couch I was laying on. She was never more than a few inches from me for months unless Hubby was home. She still is within a foot or 2 of where I am while Hubby is gone but the minute he walks in she's with him and forgets me unless she wants 'treats' then she comes over and sits up for bits of dog food (LOL Hound sitting up and begging for treats like a little dog is funny looking!) She thinks she's a 'lap dog' and spends most evening in his recliner with him - yeah they over fill it!

Sorry for rambling.

Susan
  • CypressCynthia
    CypressCynthia Member Posts: 4,014 Member
    Options
    Rague said:

Sorry for rambling.

Susan

I am glad that you found
    I am glad that you found your hound. She sounds like a perfect fit for you guys and I bet she feels like she died and went to heaven!